Slow rise after eating

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, I am going to be honest and have in recent months got very stupid and went back to eating stupid foods and obviously my blood sugars spiked. Had reasons but all sorted now and back onto the straight and narrow. Blood levels returning roll to normal along with a low carb diet and slow release metformin.
Tonight has been particularly strange as I tested myself after food and read 6.4, and hour later 8.4 and then another 2 hours later (4hrs since eating) and it’s up at 12!!!! Evening meal was a small stake and a small handful of chips. I was expecting a spike but nowhere like that and not after 4hrs.
Anyone suffered something similar?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Evening meal was a small stake and a small handful of chips. I was expecting a spike but nowhere like that and not after 4hrs.

I'm T1, so inject, but still find chips problematic. The fat in them seems to delay the rise.... I often find myself having to do a correction dose several hours after eating them...

Reactions: pau1200

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never had that much of an issue with them before but will have to keep an eye on them :(

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It may be that you have had a predominantly carb and protein meal with a bit of fat. Protein can raise levels a little and the chips, a small handful could be 80 to 100g of hot chips? That's around 30 to 40gms of a starch carb food that is well known for spiking levels. I don't think it's too hard to figure out what the cause was or how sensitive you are.

Type2 is all about the carbs.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With steak I would eat mushrooms sweet pepper courgette and a little onion rather than potato as it is so high carb. Lower carb foods provide more flavours and colours than the bland and boring starchy ones.