COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My parents, who online shop with Sainsbury's have rec'd a couple of emails about this from the head honcho.
Basically, they seem to be taking several measures to deal with this
- stores are going to restrict the first hour of opening to customers at risk (the elderly were specifically mentioned, but no idea about other groups)
- they are expanding their click and collect service
- they are 'working hard' to increase their supply lines
- they are restricting orders to 3 or 2 items for certain high demand lines
- they are 'working hard' to increase their home delivery capacity

Obviously this all takes time.

I should imagine that all the other supermarkets are either doing the same or will start looking at them rapidly
Our local large tescos is starting to close overnight, allowing more shelf filling time.
Sainsburys is also saying they are going to give over 70's priority for on-line orders but I don't know how it will work. Last time I looked they had no delivery slots for the next 3 weeks.

Tedrick69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
religious extremism
but only during daylight... *cue sinister music*
Except when it gets dark. Then the vampyres come out!
It's business as usual at my bowls club, although one of the major fund raisers (a cent sale) has been deferred to a later date.

Not sure what the club bistro is going to do at present, so the cook might be out of a job though.

I hope they have put a few "NOW WASH YOUR HANDS!" signs in the mens toilet, for those that do not wash them.

89995065_1285549508297674_839262357967339520_n.jpg
Can't speak for the females but quite a few men have never been able to grasp the importance of washing hands after toileting in pubs. Maybe this will galvanize them a bit more.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My parents, who online shop with Sainsbury's have rec'd a couple of emails about this from the head honcho.
Basically, they seem to be taking several measures to deal with this
- stores are going to restrict the first hour of opening to customers at risk (the elderly were specifically mentioned, but no idea about other groups)
- they are expanding their click and collect service
- they are 'working hard' to increase their supply lines
- they are restricting orders to 3 or 2 items for certain high demand lines
- they are 'working hard' to increase their home delivery capacity

Obviously this all takes time.

I should imagine that all the other supermarkets are either doing the same or will start looking at them rapidly
Our local large tescos is starting to close overnight, allowing more shelf filling time.

Sainsburys was only this morning on the email.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: HSSS

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
U.K. schools probably closed from Friday, until after summer. Scotland & Wales announced, awaiting detail on England, N.I.

That will have implications on the model and timing.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He and Dr John Campbell have very good and very helpful channels. I watch Dr John each night.

Thanks so much for mention this!

My husband and I came across Dr. John Campbell's videos a few nights ago. We find him so informative and thoughtful. This weekend, when I have more time - (I think tomorrow will be my last day of work for a while) - I want to watch more.

Here's a link to his channel... https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching

Reactions: Tedrick69

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Spanish flu went round three times.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3730600/

Edited to add the correct link.

Last night my husband began calling many of his high school classmates to tell them about how to use vitamin C for the coronavirus. One classmate shared that her 101 year old mother is still with us, and survived the Spanish flu as an infant and young child. We all just find incredible that she's now lived/living through both.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Further to my daughter being sent home from work at the local job centre due to asthma and put on special paid leave for the duration, she had a visit from her boss today. The list of vulnerable people that are being sent home includes ANYONE that has a BMI of 40 or above, whether or not they have underlying conditions. Two such people have been sent home from the main branch in Blackburn. How awful these people must feel - embarrassed and distressed.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to pick up a prescription this evening (second attempt).
Again, queueing outside the pharmacy door, only 2 customers allowed in the shop at a time, after being cross examined about fever, cough and travel.
Staff in blue cotton with gloves and masks.

however, there were also differences.

firstly it was raining.
So the whole queue of 14 ppl (except me) were huddled shoulder to shoulder under the building overhang. No concept of social distancing. At one point a woman nudged closer to me and I said loudly ‘could you step back please, we are supposed to stand well apart to prevent infection’. The woman flinched and stepped back. The rest of them shuffled in place.

secondly, they were discussing COVID-19
A lad of 16 was announcing that he was here to pick up insulin for his insulin dependent mum, but he thought it was all a fuss about nothing because there were no cases in the area.
‘Well, there’s my brother’ said the woman standing right next to him.
More flinching.

Boggles the mind, doesn’t it?

anyway, that was my last trip out, for weeks. So won’t have to deal with people for a while. Much more peaceful!

Reactions: NaijaChick

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a mother of son in his early 30's, not sure if enough is known about this yet regarding anecdotal reports from Italy, but here it is, an excerpt from the CNN transcript...

DR. PETER HOTEZ, PROFESSOR AND DEAN, TROPICAL MEDICINE, BAYLOR COLLEGE OF MEDICINE: Yes, so let's take it in a couple of steps. First of all, what Dr. Fauci said -- very eloquently said as he always does was absolutely right. We're very concerned about young people, young adults, spreading virus throughout the community and infecting the population that we know is at the highest risk, older individuals and we're also concerned about our health care workers.

But there's a few other things to note. That is one among young adults even though on average they are at less risk for serious disease, you're still going to get those outliers that get very seriously ill. So that is an important point, number one.

Number two, what we're seeing in Italy, and again this is not published in the scientific literature, so it's still the kind of the anecdote state, we're hearing about it, that there is an unexpectedly significant number of young adults that are getting seriously ill and in the ICU. And this is what is concerning a lot of us because you know, so much of what we've taken about this epidemic were based on what we've seen in China.

Which had a very clear pattern of overwhelmingly adults. But what we're seeing now in Italy looks like it is a little bit different. So, it is giving us pause for concern. Is the epidemic in the United States going to look more like China or what's going on in Italy?

And it's too early to say right now in the U.S. So, I think that is one of the drivers maybe for why we're being so aggressive right now in getting the bars closed, the restaurants closed, that there is somewhat of a heightened concern about young adults.

BALDWIN: And as Fauci said over the weekend, you know I'd rather be overly cautious. You know, make people stay into a greater degree and then on the back end be grateful and know that that was overly so, just so we can, you know, flatten the curve. As everyone is saying stop the spread.

HOTEZ: We're seeing 25, 30-year-old adults in the ICU. Not so much the adolescents and the kids yet, but we are -- occasionally it does happen as well. But it is that unexpected little twist that we're seeing in Italy that is giving a lot of people pause for concern.

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/2003/17/cnr.08.html
In the US, Washington State statistics on 1,012 positive/confirmed cases CORVID-19 - (as of March 17, 2020)...

Confirmed Cases by Age
0 to 19 years
2%
20 to 29 years
7%
30 to 39 years
12%
40 to 49 years
14%
50 to 59 years
16%
60 to 69 years
15%
70 to 79 years
17%
80+ years
17%

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/Coronavirus

And this from our local newspaper... We have 7 confirmed/confirmed COVID-19 cases in our county. Of those, one is a male teenager.

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241304661.html

Last edited:

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

In the US, Washington State statistics on 1,012 positive/confirmed cases CORVID-19 - (as of March 17, 2020)...

Confirmed Cases by Age
0 to 19 years
2%
20 to 29 years
7%
30 to 39 years
12%
40 to 49 years
14%
50 to 59 years
16%
60 to 69 years
15%
70 to 79 years
17%
80+ years
17%

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/Coronavirus

The spread shown here is extremely interesting.

Particularly as the cases in Washington had a major Initial focus in a Care home. That should perhaps have weighted the elderly more heavily.

This is Very different from the initial data from China that has been used in so many of our models.

Does this show that the virus in the USA, and perhaps now in other emerging spread, is no longer the major threat just to the elderly?

Perhaps now is a time for those partying in London and Miami to take serious note as well as the 30s, 40s & 50s if the swing in age susceptibility continues.

Reactions: jjraak

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BBC News - Coronavirus: Trump puts US on war footing to combat outbreak
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51955450

Read to bottom about masks...CDC.:wideyed:

jjraak, the "hug" is for the health care providers - (regarding masks...here's the excerpt jjraak's referring to)...

Meanwhile, as the US shortage of face masks becomes severe, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said nurses can "use homemade masks (e.g., bandana, scarf) for care of patients with Covid-19".

The CDC, one of the world's leading public health institutes, said this should only be done "as a last resort" and conceded it was "unknown" if this would actually protect health workers from the virus.

Reactions: kokhongw

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband and I were curious as to what's happening with the use of IV vitamin C with COVID-19 patients in China, and we found this update tonight from American physician Dr. Richard Cheng, MD in China...

What he's reporting in this brief video is encouraging. It's posted in his channel. Other videos by him are available to view there too.

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband and I were curious as to what's happening with the use of IV vitamin C with COVID-19 patients in China, and we found this update tonight from American physician Dr. Richard Cheng, MD in China...

What he's reporting in this brief video is encouraging. It's posted in his channel. Other videos by him are available to view there too.

Thanks @Winnie53 Here is a quick summary of key points:-
  • 10-20g of high dose Vitamin C IV drip, 8-10 hrs. 50 cases. No one died.
  • Ave 25 days hospital stay vs 30+ days. 50 out of 360 patients in Shanghai group.
  • Maximum dosage was 50g for up to 4 hrs...
  • Suggestion to take 5-10 g oral Vitamin for preventive measures.