Social isolation and social distancing

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A 73yr old friend of ours has an asthmatic husband, but she insists on going out shopping almost every day. Her only fear is 'They might post a policeman outside my door to prevent me breaking quarantine' .

Strange - until now she seemed like a reasonably intelligent person. Perhaps she is still accepting as fact, all that stuff that Doctors told her back in January.
It's scary when people don't understand that it could actually happen to them

6_times

Hello everyone - new here. Just a bit confused by the government guidelines & what I should actually be doing

Long story short - I'm T1 (supposedly at risk), work in an office which has the capability and software to easily allow a good number at least of its employees to be able to work from home. I know this as my line manager is doing this at the minute (self isolating due to wife coming down with symptoms)

I've asked them about working from home and it just seems to be being batted off. I live in the city centre and don't drive so getting to / from work means me moving through the city centre and getting a bus twice a day - putting me more at risk to the virus.

I'm 26, healthy-ish (could be better but could be a lot worse) know I'm not going to die or anything from the illness but could probably be in a bad way, or at least worse than most if i end up catching it.

Suppose my question is would I be in my rights to press them to let me work from home? As they seem to be a bit lackadaisical about the whole thing at the minute

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello everyone - new here. Just a bit confused by the government guidelines & what I should actually be doing

Long story short - I'm T1 (supposedly at risk), work in an office which has the capability and software to easily allow a good number at least of its employees to be able to work from home. I know this as my line manager is doing this at the minute (self isolating due to wife coming down with symptoms)

I've asked them about working from home and it just seems to be being batted off. I live in the city centre and don't drive so getting to / from work means me moving through the city centre and getting a bus twice a day - putting me more at risk to the virus.

I'm 26, healthy-ish (could be better but could be a lot worse) know I'm not going to die or anything from the illness but could probably be in a bad way, or at least worse than most if i end up catching it.

Suppose my question is would I be in my rights to press them to let me work from home?

I have read of two type 2's, who have been told by their GP's to self isolate, because of being 'at risk'( on this forum) you could ask your surgery for a GP's telephone consultation, that is before a possible lock down.
Good luck and stay safe.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I really start to worry when they start erecting tent mortuaries in Westminster as they have today.

@6_times if I were you whether it's in your rights or not I would press them very hard to allow you to work from home you may be young but you are in an at risk group being diabetic and I don't think it would be in your best interests to be making a daily commute on public transport. Take care.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really start to worry when they start erecting tent mortuaries in Westminster as they have today.

yep, what do THEY know...:wideyed:

yeah if your outside it seems like a prudent precaution..

YET i have been an avid viewer of this catastrophe.
disgusted by the approach of SO many that even the EU are starting to see just what a mistake.
a BIGGG Mistake. the entire approach has been.

"Unders estimated"..:banghead::banghead::banghead:..major expleteive here, begins with C.

Am here at the UK epicentre, speaking to others S*** scared for their families..
the old jolly..it's just FLU, starting to ring a bit hollow here.
all so Much BS, anyway...cheers iJF'ers ..:banghead:

we never looked and took notice of Wuhan..
How could we, IF we had we'd have ventilators galore and be selling them to the world.

IF we had we'd have PPE for all the health care workers that are worried about dying, and some will

If we did we would have secured food stocks and got us ready for war time rationing.

think i'm wrong...?

name me ONE thing we SHOULD/MUST
have to protect us...we have had months to sort this ..have we...?

handwash..out of stock.
hand gel..out of stock
masks ..out of stock
Food ..running low (panic buying or bad prep /)
PPE for health workers ..Out of stock
Ventilators ,,Out of stock

ok, i admit not out of stock so much,
JUST NOT enough to save all of us.

so all in all one GIANT cluster F***

God bless us all.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In line with the title of this thread, the only sure way to stop the spread of a virus with no vaccine and limited, if any, immunity within the general population is widespread social distancing/isolation. Handwash, masks and the like on their own will not prevent anything spreading.

Given the difficulty/unwillingness of many to comply now, how many would have listened to or seen government requests/advice to restrict social contact as much as they are now doing as a reasonable approach in say late December or early January?

Dark Horse

Suppose my question is would I be in my rights to press them to let me work from home? As they seem to be a bit lackadaisical about the whole thing at the minute

Show them the advice for employers from the Government:-
  • businesses and workplaces should encourage their employees to work at home, wherever possible
  • employees from defined vulnerable groups should be strongly advised and supported to stay at home and work from there if possible
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...loyers-and-businesses-on-coronavirus-covid-19

As you are in a vulnerable group (having diabetes) your employers should be advising you to work from home, if possible.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Also advise now is if in London not to use public transport unless absolutely necessary.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I see the queen is socially distancing herself now not much difference there I think, I have always found her rather socially distant any way in fact I cannot remember the last time she popped round for a cuppa and a jam butty. :)