Are people with type 1 (or 2) diabetes in the 'high risk' group?

isomertwin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The news, alcohol & drunk people, built-up areas/concrete jungle, the whole health system, politicians, social anxiety & depression & agoraphobia, A.I. & the 'cell-phone trend/trance' (not me!), the western diet, fast food & its suppliers, selfish people, pop music since the mid-nineties, war, economic instability, poverty.
I read somewhere, I think from a Diabetes UK page but I'm not 100% sure, that Type 1 diabetics do NOT have a greater risk of catching the Covid-19 virus than the general population.
However, I think its fair to say that, just like with the Flu there is surely a greater risk of serious complications that can arise should someone with Type 1 (and maybe type 2?) catch Covid 19 virus.

So, having type 1 myself, am I in the 'high risk' category or not?

I ask because certain places, mainly shopping centres are allowing high-risk groups only, such as the elderly the chance to shop without the general non-high risk population, for a short period of time (normally early morning) so as to access some of the more essential products needed for daily life before the general public are allowed in to completely empty the shelves well before mid-afternoon. That's the way it is in my local Asda anyway.

Also, if I am in the high-risk category, how do I prove that? And if not, will they let me in during this period to simply collect my prescriptions?

At the moment this is going to happen on Friday 20th March before 9 am only. To me, that seems to be not much help at all.

Final thought. More people will get ill because of stupidity and selfishness then directly by the virus itself. Why are 'we' so selfish here in the west? Each looking out for only themselves. Such a shame.

MJ

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Anyone who qualified for a flu jab is in a high risk category.
This doesn't seem to make much difference to any legal rights.
You just get advised to stay away from other people "if possible".

I would be interested in the response from the supermarkets.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @isomertwin ,

Welcome to the forum..

You could try flashing your NHS prescription charge exemption certificate? ;) "At risk, comming through!"

We have the same risks as anyone else of catching COVID. It just about being carful..
Where the issue is, COVID can be more detrimental to some groups with health conditions & or age more than others.
(As highlighted in some of the statistics.)

As of yet, no vaccination. Just the precautionary public information.

Reactions: Alan9009

isomertwin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The news, alcohol & drunk people, built-up areas/concrete jungle, the whole health system, politicians, social anxiety & depression & agoraphobia, A.I. & the 'cell-phone trend/trance' (not me!), the western diet, fast food & its suppliers, selfish people, pop music since the mid-nineties, war, economic instability, poverty.
Anyone who qualified for a flu jab is in a high risk category.
This doesn't seem to make much difference to any legal rights.
You just get advised to stay away from other people "if possible".

I would be interested in the response from the supermarkets.

Thanks for your reply. I doubt I'll be making the store before 9am, not my kinda sleeping pattern! But if I do I will be sure to let you guys & gals know :)

isomertwin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @isomertwin ,

Welcome to the forum..

You could try flashing your NHS prescription charge exemption certificate? ;) "At risk, coming through!"

We have the same risks as anyone else of catching COVID. It just about being carful..
Where the issue is, COVID can be more detrimental to some groups with health conditions & or age more than others.
(As highlighted in some of the statistics.)

As of yet, no vaccination. Just the precautionary public information.

Many thanks for your reply and kind welcome.
One thing I am concerned about is getting my prescriptions on time. I take quite a few different meds, not just insulin and diabetes paraphernalia.
3 days ago I ordered a top-up of insulin and, well, everything really. The pharmacy still hasn't received the script back.
The crazy thing is (and this has been ongoing since joining my current surgery) they only supply me with a box of 90 BD pen tips at a time. With at least 4 injections daily that is no more than 25 days worth. I mean, I guess I'll have diabetes for the rest of 'my' life. So why limit my supply? USE ONCE AND DESTROY is clearly written on every box. The reason for that is pretty obvious.
I do remember when I was diagnosed at 12 (1992) and back then we were advised to use one syringe a day!

Anyway, look after yourself :cat: