Self Isolation

AmandaPryce

Hi
Our staff team has just been told that if we have a underlying health condition which is on the current list then we should self isolate for 12 weeks.

I know that Diabetes is on the list however is this everyone who has diabetes or just those with type 1

Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is a link to the www.gov.uk page where the situation is explained.
There is no differentiation between T1 and T2, so ALL people with diabetes are included in the guidance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

The key phrase is 'social distancing'

We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.
This group includes those who are:

Note: there are some clinical conditions which put people at even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19. If you are in this category, next week the NHS in England will directly contact you with advice the more stringent measures you should take in order to keep yourself and others safe. For now, you should rigorously follow the social distancing advice in full, outlined below.

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:

• people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The same page makes clear what it means by 'social distancing'

What is social distancing?
Social distancing measures are steps you can take to reduce the social interaction between people. This will help reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19).

They are:

1. Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature and/or new and continuous cough
  2. Avoid non-essential use of public transport, varying your travel times to avoid rush hour, when possible
  3. Work from home, where possible. Your employer should support you to do this. Please refer to employer guidance for more information
  4. Avoid large gatherings, and gatherings in smaller public spaces such as pubs, cinemas, restaurants, theatres, bars, clubs
  5. Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media
  6. Use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services
Everyone should be trying to follow these measures as much as is pragmatic.

We strongly advise you to follow the above measures as much as you can and to significantly limit your face-to-face interaction with friends and family if possible, particularly if you:

• are over 70
  • have an underlying health condition
  • are pregnant
This advice is likely to be in place for some weeks.

Of course things change immediately that you (or anyone in your household) start to get symptoms of the coronavirus.
When that happens, the current instructions are for the person showing symptoms to isolate for 7 days, and for the rest of the family to isolate for 14 days (to give time for the symptoms to show if they are going to).

Last edited:

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
The same page makes clear what it means by 'social distancing'

What is social distancing?
Social distancing measures are steps you can take to reduce the social interaction between people. This will help reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19).

They are:

1. Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature and/or new and continuous cough
  2. Avoid non-essential use of public transport, varying your travel times to avoid rush hour, when possible
  3. Work from home, where possible. Your employer should support you to do this. Please refer to employer guidance for more information
  4. Avoid large gatherings, and gatherings in smaller public spaces such as pubs, cinemas, restaurants, theatres, bars, clubs
  5. Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media
  6. Use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services
Everyone should be trying to follow these measures as much as is pragmatic.

We strongly advise you to follow the above measures as much as you can and to significantly limit your face-to-face interaction with friends and family if possible, particularly if you:

• are over 70
  • have an underlying health condition
  • are pregnant
This advice is likely to be in place for some weeks.

Of course things change immediately that you (or anyone in your household) start to get symptoms of the coronavirus.
When that happens, the current instructions are for the person showing symptoms to isolate for 7 days, and for the rest of the family to isolate for 14 days (to give time for the symptoms to show if they are going to).

And it's advisory, so up to the individual.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't work from home and it will be interesting to find out if those who get sent home because they are in the risk group are deemed to be on paid leave or on sick pay (despite not being sick). Big management meeting about to happen in the private members' club where I work in Surrey so I suspect a shut down may be imminent...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And it's advisory, so up to the individual.
As there are now 20,000 troops on standby I think the advisory part maybe going to change at some point in the near future though I could be mistaken.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
As there are now 20,000 troops on standby I think the advisory part maybe going to change at some point in the near future though I could be mistaken.
Strange but it would make life so much easier if it was compulsory, then I could just stay home.
To decide to close a business and not work is impossible

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I can't work from home and it will be interesting to find out if those who get sent home because they are in the risk group are deemed to be on paid leave or on sick pay (despite not being sick). Big management meeting about to happen in the private members' club where I work in Surrey so I suspect a shut down may be imminent...
I have been told I will have to take sick leave, or use my holiday allowance OR take unpaid leave.
I have not been sent home, I am still expected to work as normal.

KirstyRobbie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was literally about to post about this.

So I'm 33 , have type 2 and take metformin. I have 2 children aged 4 and 1, I work in a supermarket, and my husband is a police officer.

What should I be doing, should I avoid work, or still be going in as usual??

Li5a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I work in a beautician/make up shop. I am type 2 insulin dependant. My colleague has asthma and a lung disorder. In all of the confusion she rang 111 for advice. They told her to work as usual even though she has to have periods of physical contact with people. I rang them and said it’s all over the news to socially distance ourselves and to take extra care. How is this ok for me or my colleague. She said it was only advisory and should not effect us working. Also said there is diabetics work here and there fine. I said but surely in your work people are sitting at every other desk now. Yes she said but, if you all go on the sick it will effect the economy. I was left feeling like I had massively over reacted and had made up the fact boris was talking about us self isolating for 12 weeks.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was literally about to post about this.

So I'm 33 , have type 2 and take metformin. I have 2 children aged 4 and 1, I work in a supermarket, and my husband is a police officer.

What should I be doing, should I avoid work, or still be going in as usual??

Kirsty, it could be useful to read the links posted by Brunneria.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For all of us who can only work on site and aren't sick or symptomatic then I'd suggest showing up .
If you have kids who need taking care of that is a different matter of course though I think kids of key workers are being offered childcare in schools.
If the upshot of this is eventually being made redundant then signing yourself out is akin to putting yourself at the top of the list IMO and as I have a good sickness record I do not want to do that.
We have been told there is enough money to pay us until the end of April and have been asked to indicate what we are willing to do if our normal roles are less busy. We are keeping our hours but reducing overlap on shhifts so all quite paired down to the bone.

suevinson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a primary school teacher and have type 2 diabetes controlled with medication. My school is staying open for key worker and vulnerable children and all staff are expected to attend. Lots of friends in a similar situation were sent home earlier in the week. Is it safe for me to be there? I am getting more and more anxious.