What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
19-03-2020
Breakfast 2eggs scrambled in butter 2x CWC.
Lunch cream cheese. Olive tapenade, ham, salad, homemade coleslaw. 2slices of toast, but both were end of loaf so small and the second was water thin.
Dinner lemon chicken, potato and olive traybake with courgette and beans. Piece of cheesecake, 6 raspberries and a splash of cream. Glass of wine. Looking at food in stock. Eating a Bit less. Six chicken thighs, would normally be two meals - now will be three. Wine glass not quite so full tonight. Who know when we will be able to get more.
Lot of garden work today. Am creating from the field we call a garden a new vegetable plot. This one is intended for root veg. Celariac, Swede, parsnips, and beetroot. Well those are the seeds I have got.
All good until phone call from sister. My niece has a cough.

Reactions: maglil55

RoscoeB78

Chesse and Red Onion Ommlete for breakfask.

Corned Beef Salad for dinner.

Bag of Pork Scratchings for a snack.

Beetroot, Cucumber, Onion and Chesse wrapped in a Lettuce leaf for supper.

Gonna try baking ' Cloud Bread ' tommorrow which consists of Eggs, Cream Cheese and Baking Powder tomorrow, check out the youtube vids about ' Cloud Bread '.

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need help I think.
I went to Carb Manager last night for the first time and loaded up all that we'd eaten for the day.
I am not good with weighing/calculating/figures and am not sure if I am doing wrong here.
If I am doing wrong, can someone tell me what I need to adjust (in easy language) Merci

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 251

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
View attachment 39544 Tescos delivery today! Yay!
And what a bizarre collection of substitutes.
The order was for £120
The value of the food rec’d was £65
At least half of it was substitutions :hilarious:
And some were v interesting.

hey ho. Next available slot already booked - in 18 days!
We have already decided that our local butcher is the way to go. Bless the place.

b: scram eggs
L: burglars
D: chicken korma and a mouthful of dhal

Today’s pic to make you smile (I hope) is for you @Annb

I've got the same problem today with my Asda order. About a third of it not available, another third are subs - some very strange ones (celery instead of fresh fennel?) - and the final third are okay. The biggest problem is no loo roll. Poor Mr C - no bread products for his packed work meals or long life milk for his tea and coffee. My main food problem are no eggs, no pulses (both of which are essential for my vegetarian low carb WOE) but I'm sure we'll adjust and manage (except for the loo roll).

I found that film of the crying nurse who couldn't find any food in a supermarket on the BBC news to be absolutely heart breaking. Who are these people who are panic buying? Why do they think it's okay to do that? According to Mr C's colleagues working on food distribution contracts, there are no warehouse shortages and stock is being moved to stores very rapidly. Sorry to rant but that crying exhausted nurse really upset me....

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got the same problem today with my Asda order. About a third of it not available, another third are subs - some very strange ones (celery instead of fresh fennel?) - and the final third are okay. The biggest problem is no loo roll. Poor Mr C - no bread products for his packed work meals or long life milk for his tea and coffee. My main food problem are no eggs, no pulses (both of which are essential for my vegetarian low carb WOE) but I'm sure we'll adjust and manage (except for the loo roll).

I found that film of the crying nurse who couldn't find any food in a supermarket on the BBC news to be absolutely heart breaking. Who are these people who are panic buying? Why do they think it's okay to do that? According to Mr C's colleagues working on food distribution contracts, there are no warehouse shortages and stock is being moved to stores very rapidly. Sorry to rant but that crying exhausted nurse really upset me....

That poor nurse - her message was harrowing. Who are they? Just ordinary people who seem to have lost their sense of proportion because they are, literally, panicking. Here it has to be people living close to the supermarkets, mostly - stocks disappear as soon as they come in, so it has to be people who live close to the town and are available at a moment's notice. God help them when they need it and there is none other available.

I did think it was just an Island thing, but it seems not.

When we came to this island (1974) there was a scare that there would be a shortage of sugar (totally unfounded, as it turned out). I think I had a bag that we had brought up with our move and had no need or intention to buy more for many months but a neighbour asked me why I hadn't bought any and showed me her store cupboard. It was a floor to ceiling cupboard, about 31/2 feet wide and 9 inches deep with shelves about 8 inches apart. It was full, top to bottom and 2 bags deep with 2 lb bags of sugar. Goodness knows how many there were. I asked why she needed all that sugar. "Because there's a shortage". Of course there was - almost every other house on the Island was trying to do the same thing. I'd still be trying to use even a fraction of that sugar now - 45 years later. She must have had some bank account to be able to support that purchase.

As for deliveries - if there are no shortages, why can't supermarkets fill their orders from stock? Here, we can't even get a delivery slot and the website which asks people who are forced to isolate themselves to let the supermarket know, doesn't allow anyone to do so, or, if they do, I can't find a way to make the site work. I know I'm old fashioned but I think it is time the government took action on this. Compulsory rationing, as in wartime, would suit me.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chesse and Red Onion Ommlete for breakfask.

Corned Beef Salad for dinner.

Bag of Pork Scratchings for a snack.

Beetroot, Cucumber, Onion and Chesse wrapped in a Lettuce leaf for supper.

Gonna try baking ' Cloud Bread ' tommorrow which consists of Eggs, Cream Cheese and Baking Powder tomorrow, check out the youtube vids about ' Cloud Bread '.
The trick is in beating the seperated eggs well and not knocking the air out of the whites when you combine with the other beaten ingredients. They do rise nicely in the oven. They also keep well wrapped of about 3 days in the fridge or they can be frozen too. They make a mean bacon, lettuce and mayo sandwich or many other nice combos.
I wrap them in bees wrap (which is pricey but reusable) but greaseproof works too.
DD-51-2.jpg
20170217_152421~2.jpg

Reactions: Goonergal

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Spot on 73 kgs this morning which may explain why I was/am hungry today - keep checking temperature which stays sub 35 (in ear) which is usual for me - so 2 OMADs may explain it. Breakfast: AMT - sweetened; Mid morning: CWC; L: A very hungry caterpillar by 1.20; 4 slices of chorizo and 1 of Ox tongue, egg and cheese omelette, mixed leaf salad and mayo: Eve:10% Greek yogurt plus some Sainsbury’s 85% choc grated into it is the plan but I’m still an incredibly hungry caterpillar so who knows. All the new kitchen toys are ready to play with but all the LC food I want is salad or Hi Lo sandwich. Hmm. I feel quite guilty that eggs and cheese are being horded and I didn't find the omelette at all special. Hope everyone who needs to work still has paid employment and you all have suitable and adequate food. Take care of yourselves, those close to you and be thoughtful to the wider community.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Spot on 73 kgs this morning which may explain why I was/am hungry today - keep checking temperature which stays sub 35 (in ear) which is usual for me - so 2 OMADs may explain it. Breakfast: AMT - sweetened; Mid morning: CWC; L: A very hungry caterpillar by 1.20; 4 slices of chorizo and 1 of Ox tongue, egg and cheese omelette, mixed leaf salad and mayo: Eve:10% Greek yogurt plus some Sainsbury’s 85% choc grated into it is the plan but I’m still an incredibly hungry caterpillar so who knows. All the new kitchen toys are ready to play with but all the LC food I want is salad or Hi Lo sandwich. Hmm. I feel quite guilty that eggs and cheese are being horded and I didn't find the omelette at all special. Hope everyone who needs to work still has paid employment and you all have suitable and adequate food. Take care of yourselves, those close to you and be thoughtful to the wider community.

for a moment there I thought you'd eaten a very hungry caterpillar - my second thought was how you knew it was hungry.

Today's meals...

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette cooked in butter with sugar free syrup (lemon and elderflower flavour)

Lunch: Forgot

Dinner: Mr C is cooking. I believe it will be some kind of low carb veggie burrito thing with salad

Drinks: black decaff coffee and water - and probably a glass or two of red.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast - I decided to make the frittata that I meant to make yesterday - 3 eggs and lots of spiced veg. Had half of it.

Lunch - had the other half.

No 2 son, wife and 2 kids came in to say goodbye for the next 3 months - Em proudly showing me the school work she has done already. Grandson (14) insisted on giving me a cuddle despite warnings that he shouldn't. Em bumped elbows. Why am I feeling tearful? If the Royal Mail is working I will see my son on his deliveries, so that's something. Em was hoping we could keep in touch with Skype, but for some reason I can't get it to work on this laptop. Neil thinks it is because our Broadband is so slow that it can't run both sound and pictures in real time. Tried to install ZOOM this morning, but laptop won't have it.

Dinner will be some more of the braised pork from the freezer.

Black coffee (going off it already) and watery cocoa to drink today, although DIL says she will try to get me some milk and butter from the SPAR shop at a filling station in Stornoway. So I might see them again on the way home.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
DIL and Em just came in with 4 litres of milk and 1 lb of butter! I can have tea again! And I can use butter for frying instead of oil. Feels like Christmas.

DIL was telling me that the staff in Tesco and the Co-op are suffering serious abuse from some customers and that Elder GDaughter's partner saw 2 people fighting over goods which they were stealing from the Food Bank box in one of the supermarkets. Quite unashamedly as well.

Dear Goodness. There are no words ....

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Loving the pup pics @ianpspurs - gorgeous.

Got out for my first decent walk in over 2 weeks early this morning - posting a pic for @Annb . Ended up with an impromptu visit to Waitrose - passed it on the way home and landed a couple of joints of meat, duck eggs (only those or quails eggs available), almond butter and loo roll. Almost stole the loo roll - realised just before entering my PIN that I hadn’t scanned it! Sales assistant said people had been walking out with trolley loads.

So today I’ve eaten too much peanut butter and cream during the day and a dinner of beef short rib cooked in the Instant Pot. Delicious.

Now awaiting the arrival of a new freezer tomorrow following the malfunction of the current one :banghead:

F294AD5B-A41C-439C-8FAA-C97A91348690.jpeg

Editing to add promised pic

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
@Annb so glad you got your milk and butter. Sad sorry tale of the lady with breathing difficulties. I hope we dont hear more of that. @DJC3 in awe of your volunteering as well as other responsibilities. I am sure very grateful recipients. @maglil55 so sorry to hear you are unwell, please take care and hope tomorrow is better. @Chook the online shopping experience sounds familiar. No 2 son bless hm went around four supermarkets of empty shelves yesterday and delivered a hotch potch of food to us in the evening which we were hugely grateful for. Lol we have frozen turkey crown defrosting for Sunday (no chicken of any sort fresh, frozen) so need to get the Christmas napkins out! My brief to him was protein and green veg for me. No eggs either. I dont know if the fault lies with the Govt supermarkets or shoppers or all combined but its not good. I think ration books will be needed if it doesnt improve. Care homes and NHS staff not having access to food is BAD.
Back on track, lunch today was egg mayo sandwich for friend, chicken sandwich for Mr PM and egg msyo and lettuce for me. We had an apple each.
Supper is paella ready meal for friend, pizza for zmr PM and cold meat and microwaved green veg for me. A couple of restorative gins & soda first.
Next week will be very Ready Steady Cook here.
@ianpspurs no dog food in our area people are reporting me. Hope you have a good supply for the Babes.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all.

Loving the pup pics @ianpspurs - gorgeous.

Got out for my first decent walk in over 2 weeks early this morning - posting a pic for @Annb . Ended up with an impromptu visit to Waitrose - passed it on the way home and landed a couple of joints of meat, duck eggs (only those or quails eggs available), almond butter and loo roll. Almost stole the loo roll - realised just before entering my PIN that I hadn’t scanned it! Sales assistant said people had been walking out with trolley loads.

So today I’ve eaten too much peanut butter and cream during the day and a dinner of beef short rib cooked in the Instant Pot. Delicious.

Now awaiting the arrival of a new freezer tomorrow following the malfunction of the current one :banghead:

View attachment 39563

Editing to add promised pic

Thanks for the pic. We last visited such sights in the 1980's on our way home from a trip with my husband on a cargo ship. We paid off in London and took the boys (then about 12 and 9) to a few sights around the place on the way home. The boys were somewhat jaded after being on a ship (and seasick for 3 months, in Neil's case) and didn't really take much notice. More interested in the fantastic fish and chips we bought, after food provided by a post revolution Iranian crew. That means a crew who had been given jobs by the company whether they had any expertise or not. The cook had been a barber before the revolution! We did experience some unusual tastes though - Neil especially enjoyed the pizza with custard.

Edited to change 2nd sentence - not absolutely sure which ship it is, or which city. Am I right in thinking it is Dundee?

Reactions: Chook and ianpspurs

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - I decided to make the frittata that I meant to make yesterday - 3 eggs and lots of spiced veg. Had half of it.

Lunch - had the other half.

No 2 son, wife and 2 kids came in to say goodbye for the next 3 months - Em proudly showing me the school work she has done already. Grandson (14) insisted on giving me a cuddle despite warnings that he shouldn't. Em bumped elbows. Why am I feeling tearful? If the Royal Mail is working I will see my son on his deliveries, so that's something. Em was hoping we could keep in touch with Skype, but for some reason I can't get it to work on this laptop. Neil thinks it is because our Broadband is so slow that it can't run both sound and pictures in real time. Tried to install ZOOM this morning, but laptop won't have it.

Dinner will be some more of the braised pork from the freezer.

Black coffee (going off it already) and watery cocoa to drink today, although DIL says she will try to get me some milk and butter from the SPAR shop at a filling station in Stornoway. So I might see them again on the way home.

Ann - Do you have a smart phone? If so, you can run Facetime or WhatsApp from there. I have never used Facetime (I hate video calling), but I have used WhatsApp for written messaging and voice calls, and found it very good. The calls on WhatsApp are on wifi - provided you have a signal. Phones usually need much less bandwidth to work properly.

Would that work for you?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
Black coffee this morning
Lunch: slice deli roast beef, 1/2 avocado 1hb egg and h/m coleslaw. 5 100% cocoa buttons
Dinner: slow cooked lamb breast ( thanks for cooking tips @Goonergal ) with broccoli. Cooked for 9 hrs in IP set to slow cooker. Meat was meltingly tender but I still think I prefer it slow roasted.
On top of all the usual present day worries, I am now very anxious about 7yo granddaughter - she wasn’t her usual chatty self when I collected her this aft. When we got back she took herself straight off to my bed and fell asleep. She’s at home now but daughter says she has a temperature, what a horrible time to be ill - it’s so difficult to get and advice that’s not specific to covid19
IMG_2097.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the pic. We last visited such sights in the 1980's on our way home from a trip with my husband on a cargo ship. We paid off in London and took the boys (then about 12 and 9) to a few sights around the place on the way home. The boys were somewhat jaded after being on a ship (and seasick for 3 months, in Neil's case) and didn't really take much notice. More interested in the fantastic fish and chips we bought, after food provided by a post revolution Iranian crew. That means a crew who had been given jobs by the company whether they had any expertise or not. The cook had been a barber before the revolution! We did experience some unusual tastes though - Neil especially enjoyed the pizza with custard.

Edited to change 2nd sentence - not absolutely sure which ship it is, or which city. Am I right in thinking it is Dundee?
No - I'm wrong - it's the Cutty Sark, isn't it - in Greenwich. We visited her too. She looks different now.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
Black coffee this morning
Lunch: slice deli roast beef, 1/2 avocado 1hb egg and h/m coleslaw. 5 100% cocoa buttons
Dinner: slow cooked lamb breast ( thanks for cooking tips @Goonergal ) with broccoli. Cooked for 9 hrs in IP set to slow cooker. Meat was meltingly tender but I still think I prefer it slow roasted.
On top of all the usual present day worries, I am now very anxious about 7yo granddaughter - she wasn’t her usual chatty self when I collected her this aft. When we got back she took herself straight off to my bed and fell asleep. She’s at home now but daughter says she has a temperature, what a horrible time to be ill - it’s so difficult to get and advice that’s not specific to covid19 View attachment 39564

Hug for the ill granddaughter but winner for the meal. That’s a tiny portion - makes me feel very greedy!

Reactions: Chook and DJC3