JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am a little concerned for our nephew and his family they live and work in New York his office is in Manhattan and they have a house in Brooklyn though they are all pretty fit and healthy and young so should be OK,

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a little concerned for our nephew and his family they live and work in New York his office is in Manhattan and they have a house in Brooklyn though they are all pretty fit and healthy and young so should be OK,

I hope they will be fine. :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think much of the panic buying and hysteria depends largely on where we live, and the average ages of the local population. In my quietish neck of the woods with a large percentage of pensioners it doesn't seem too bad. Certainly not compared with what I see on the media about circumstances in the big cities. I was astounded to see pictures of 2 supermarkets, one in Watford and one somewhere else in the country with queues outside stretching for miles. People standing with empty trolleys waiting to get in. That certainly isn't happening in this town. I was even more shocked to see pictures of the London tube stations, with hundreds of people crammed together on the escalators. Plus pictures of bars in larger cities taken on St. Patrick's Day - hundreds of revellers squashed together in pubs. No social distancing there.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@bluetit I was glad to read the good news about your town. It is good to know that some people in some places are not panicking.

At my local grocery store many of the shelves are all but empty, and don't look as if they're being restocked in the normal time ... but then, they are not usually emptied completely. I was prowling the aisles today looking for substitutes for toilet paper and paper towels. I have enough of both for 2-3 weeks yet, maybe, and one store stocker said that they had toilet paper first thing this morning.

Between the people who are panic-buying, and the ones who are crowding together in public places, it all feels very confusing to me. I just wish I knew whether we really have anything to worry about, or not.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't necessarily think this is a positive post nor probably on topic but none the less I need to get it out somewhere. I suffer with depression and the thought of having to stay inside due to this coronavirus is terrifying as thats when my mental health begins to get worse. I've also noticed over the past few days I've been having more meltdown episodes purely because the routine of day to day life is off, things are working completely different and my mind is finding it hard to adjust to the change. On at least a good note my work company HR team has approached me to say that if I would like to stay home due to coronavirus as I'm in the high risk group they will allow me to do so. My work requires me to go to the office so if I choose to stay at home I basically would not be able to work. Scary and frustrating times.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't necessarily think this is a positive post nor probably on topic but none the less I need to get it out somewhere. I suffer with depression and the thought of having to stay inside due to this coronavirus is terrifying as thats when my mental health begins to get worse. I've also noticed over the past few days I've been having more meltdown episodes purely because the routine of day to day life is off, things are working completely different and my mind is finding it hard to adjust to the change. On at least a good note my work company HR team has approached me to say that if I would like to stay home due to coronavirus as I'm in the high risk group they will allow me to do so. My work requires me to go to the office so if I choose to stay at home I basically would not be able to work. Scary and frustrating times.

I am trying to keep my balance on very shaky ground between staying in and going stir crazy, and oversleeping so much out of boredom that I wake up feeling drunk and sick, or going out for walks around my very unscenic parking lot and hoping the pollen and pollution won't make me sneeze and cough until I think I am sick. :(

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well today our esteemed leader has at last made a decision and ordered bars, pubs, restaurants to close.

What is needed is direction not advise.

@Nicola M the advise so far is not that you have to lock yourself away you can go out for exercise and such but should protect yourself by distancing yourself from other people.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't necessarily think this is a positive post nor probably on topic but none the less I need to get it out somewhere.
Perfectly on topic in a thread without a clear topic, and no requirement for positive posts either so a perfect place to get it out!

I hope you'll find a workable way to deal with the situation. If it helps in any way, just keep posting, we don't mind listening to people needing to get things off their chest!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why is everything so difficult ?!!
Our Roku died which is what we watch TV on so easy isn't it look on line and find that Argos sell them and there is one nearby I will find out if they have one in stock HUH ! No direct phone to the store 0345 number -press button eventually get to check if available Sorry this is broken please try again later !!!!
Patience is not my strong point ,anyway I have ordered one from Currys lets hope that it is there when we get there
Carol

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why is everything so difficult ?!!
Our Roku died which is what we watch TV on so easy isn't it look on line and find that Argos sell them and there is one nearby I will find out if they have one in stock HUH ! No direct phone to the store 0345 number -press button eventually get to check if available Sorry this is broken please try again later !!!!
Patience is not my strong point ,anyway I have ordered one from Currys lets hope that it is there when we get there
Carol

I wish I had an answer to your question. Patience is not my strong point either.
It was bad enough at Christmastime when Amazon overdid itself offering free 2-day shipping without apparently figuring in the number of customers who would order.
Now it's just crazy.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have the Roku all that is needed now is for John to set it up !!!
Very large TV's were quickly going out of Currys but I don't know if people were stockpiling !!;)
Carol

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Grandson has had a very uncomfortable few days stating with a sore throat and then a feeling of breathlessness and fatigue.

Breathless feeling has now gone but still has sore throat and his voice is quite croaky has spent the last four days in bed but feeling a lot better now.

He is a very fit young man has been keto some while and is a body builder but if it is corona virus as he thinks it still knocked him for six.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just sprouted ...
... ready in about 3 weeks!

thumbnail

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It is strange but when I first posted I did say are you growing toilet rolls but changed my post as I thought you might think me sarky so had a good larf when the image came up.

And was a toilet roll plantation.