Eat, drink and be merry because Covid-19?

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: JohnEGreen
M

Member496333

I thought Dubbya was stupid but Trump makes him look like a genius.

At the risk of swerving violently off topic, I'm inclined to think that Trump, with the help of his team, is consciously projecting the persona of a bumbling buffoon. It's an endearing and amusing character trait that could be an advantage in some circles. I don't believe he's as stupid as some seem to think. In fact I'm certain of it. But then again, there's also the Five Universal Laws of Human Stupidity to contend with, so we we'll probably never know :shifty:

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
At the risk of swerving violently off topic, I'm inclined to think that Trump, with the help of his team, is consciously projecting the persona of a bumbling buffoon. It's an endearing and amusing character trait that could be an advantage in some circles. I don't believe he's as stupid as some seem to think. In fact I'm certain of it. But then again, there's also the Five Universal Laws of Human Stupidity to contend with, so we we'll probably never know :shifty:
Not wishing to sound stupid Jim could you tell me what the Five Universal Laws of Human Stupidity are please.
I love the fact (if it is one, It is impossible to tell these days) there are 5 laws.

I must say I believe you are 100% correct in your assumptions about Trump, I put bumbling Boris in that camp also.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Try this you should get the actual essay with illustrations
Trump certainly fits the second law

The probability that a certain person be stupid is independent of any other characteristic of that person.

But is probably a bandit.

http://www.extremistvector.com/content/stupid.html

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I think that once you can make the leap into low carbing being a way of life it will be easier. Maybe change from thinking you are not getting treats to "I am choosing to care for my body" rather than seeing the dietary changes as restrictions?

There are thousands of tasty low carb recipes. I think of a low carb dessert as a treat.

I have been low carbing for may years because of the improved long term prospects.

To quote the old saying "If you give up wine, women and song you could live for another 18 years. Can I just give up singing and settle for six?", That more or less sums up my position at the moment. Think also bucket list.

Logic says that if there is a strategy that involves personal sacrifice for long term gain (such as sensible eating, weight reduction and exercise) then that is something that should be embraced.

If you know you only have 6 months to live then you might consider what you would really, really enjoy doing over that 6 months.

That could include spending money instead of saving, indulging in pleasures such as travel, fast cars, and other things such as exotic food and drink that would bankrupt you fairly swiftly. Not a good idea if you know you may live to be 90 with the last 10 years as a drooling infant, and have to plan for that, but if you know you are going, then get going!!

I eat LCHF because it is sensible and I can also find enough foods in that category that I enjoy.
It is a sensible decision IMHO.
However it doesn't mean that I have totally forgotten all the foods that I have enjoyed for the previous 50 years and more which are now not sensible for someone planning on long term health as a T2 diabetic.
I suspect most people have at least one food which they reluctantly gave up because of diabetes and of which they still have fond memories.

My major sacrifices are potatoes in all forms, and bread in most forms.
I used to make a wholemeal 5 seed loaf in our bread maker which was to die for.
Until I found that was literal.
A chip buttie (home cooked chips in olive oil in the deep fat fryer) in home made bread with salted butter and brown sauce was a taste sensation.
Also to die for.

So this is my philosophical problem.
I haven't been told that I am about to die, just that the risk has gone up by a significant amount.
Do I abjure all fleshly pleasures, or sin a bit?

post edited by moderator to comply with forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Several posts have been deleted from this thread because of rude and patronising comments. Treating fellow members like this is against the forum rules. Any further such posts will also be deleted and may result in the poster being banned from posting on this thread.

Everyone,
The moderation team are very aware that we are all going through a stressful time at the moment. Tensions are running high.
But taking those frustrations out on fellow members, who are equally stressed, is not acceptable under our forum rules and will be moderated accordingly.

Ripping into each other as a way to relieve boredom/frustration/fear is not what this forum is here for.

Reactions: Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please note this is not a recommendation!

We generally make sacrifices, often major, especially in relation to food, as an investment in our long term health.
No treats may be harsh, but years without complications will be worth it.

We are now faced with the increased threat of death in the next 6 months.
Not as major as it sometimes sounds, but far more of a threat than usual.

For me, major temptation time is over Xmas and New Year with mince pies, Xmas pud, roast spuds etc.
I weaken and indulge myself knowing that stern control in the New Year will get me back on track.

I'm now contemplating illness, very serious illness or even death over the next 6 months.
Very hard not to decide to have a chip muffin, a cheesecake,.......
Hmmm... I just ran short of a list of desperate sins.
Sourdough bread is in there somewhere.
However, I think you probably get my drift.

If I was told that I would definitely be dead within 6 months then I would fill my boots because what are the consequences?

Being told that you might have a 1%, 3.5%, or more chance of severe illness then death because of age and diabetes is very unsettling.
I can't travel the world to tick off my bucket list.
Probably can't even travel this country.
Decadent indulgence is certainly a temptation,

Another unsettling thought is that I am relatively slim and if I did fall ill this might be a disadvantage because I lack fat reserves.
Should I perhaps put on half a stone?
I know that at the moment it goes on and comes off easily.

On the other hand I don't want to sail through the Covid-19 crisis only to have diabetic complications.

Perhaps just one chip butty in sourdough and a small slice of cheesecake?

Decisions, decisions.........
If I eat drink and be merry too much - never mind worrying over dying from coronavrus, I'll have eaten myself out of house and home and at the rate online deliveries are going will have starved to death instead... :wideyed::eek:

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If I eat drink and be merry too much - never mind worrying over dying from coronavrus, I'll have eaten myself out of house and home and at the rate online deliveries are going will have starved to death instead... :wideyed::eek:

I'm sure you're affected by limitations on some foods and other things like we are in Australia. Rationing out because of people panic buying. I've noticed the same for some vitamins and supplements. There just doesn't like there is an end in sight at the moment.

D

Deleted member 308541

Eat, drink and be merry because Covid-19?
Latest Australian federal government edict orders all pubs, and licenced clubs to close for six months starting 12:00 pm Monday 23.03.2020.

Gunna get thirsty, before it gets better, if it gets better...

rrfZS.jpg

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You still have time to get one in mate mines a lager:)