How many blood strips do you get a month

A

Anonymous

I have just changed monitors so my blood strips have changed on my prescription but the doctor has only gave me 50 a month with my last monitor I use to get 100 a month. It happened when I changed monitors before the doctor gave me 50 to start with then I got it changed to 100. Just wondering how many do you get a month?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Use about 50 but have to buy them all myself. Try to buy them in bulk when I'm in America to keep the cost down.

C

catherinecherub

Jodie said:
I have just changed monitors so my blood strips have changed on my prescription but the doctor has only gave me 50 a month with my last monitor I use to get 100 a month. It happened when I changed monitors before the doctor gave me 50 to start with then I got it changed to 100. Just wondering how many do you get a month?

Hi Jodie,

I am a Type 2 and I hope a Type 1 will answer soon. It is not enough for you as Type1's test several times a day.

wsmum

My T1 son gets as many as he needs, which in reality is between 5 and 10 a day (if he's well). So 50 usually only last a week to 10 days at the most.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I'm T2 and basically as many as I request on my repeat form. My GP did try and hold me off some time ago, but with 'duty of care' and why 'are you refusing me' put in writing, he no longer restricts any of my requests ticked on my form.
I never did get a written reply to my letter and I can only presume it was that which brought about his change of mind.

AMBrennan

I (T1) get as many as I request (for historical reasons it's 300 on my reorder form) whenever I request them.

[I suspect that my requests are signed off blindly due to some of the bizarre errors (HumaPen with Kwikpen, test strips for 3 different metres, duplicate prescriptions, etc) I have encountered.]

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Mine are on repeat prescription, I just order them when I need them.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

I get mine on repeat, but they were only in 100 batches and I use about 50 a week. I asked them if they could give me more in one go as I was having to put the repeat in every week or two. They doubled it to 200 without question. They then managed to give me two more prescriptions at the same time, so i now have more test strips than the chemist! They wouldn't prescribe them at all when I was misdiagnosed as Type 2, but so far haven't restricted them since I got my Type 1 diagnosis. The hospital has told me how much to test, so if the doctor tries to reduce them I'll refer them to the hospital.

Smidge

jameshallam

I get 300 on my repeat... Plus another 300 for another meter type if I select them.
This seems to be about once a month.

I have upped this from 100 to 200 to 300.

I once got challenged by the GP who I saw the change my repeat up to 300. He said I shouldn't be testing that much. As soon as I said I was a type 1, and needed to test severla times a day (waking, meals, driving and exercise) he immediately backed down and agreed with me.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
not in the UK. I'm prescribed 6 per day. I actually get about 200 a month as they come in boxes of 100. That normally works out fine for me, sometimes now I only test 4 times in a day (before each meal and bed and I really think that's the minimum) but on other days, far more... there are also the losses when the strip doesn't take up enough blood.

AMBrennan

Huh, I was told to do the exact opposite - test fasting BG in the morning and after meals (my BG drops to 5 before the next meal, so there isn't much point in testing before every meal)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did used to test lots, including far more post prandial checks and lots of checks whilst exercising. I still test more frequently in new situations but for the most part I've got a good understanding of what normally happens with my glucose levels.
The pre meal reading is important to me as I use it to calculate the insulin dose on my pump. I have quite a narrow range as a pre meal target (4-5.6mmol) so the amount of insulin I use will be slightly lower or slightly higher if I'm above or below those figures. If I've got that dose right then the post meal level should also be right.
I am also lucky in that I seem to realise if I'm higher than I want to be (headachy and muzzy) so I'll check then. If I was eating something unusual or doing something different I would also test. I used a continuous glucose monitor for a couple of weeks last year and didn't have any upleasant surprises.

LaughingHyena

my first prescription had 50 at a time, but was quickly changed to 100. I've never had any issues over how often I can send in my repeat though. Since I just email in my repeat and collect it from the chemist when I do my weekly shop I'm happy for them to take up space there rather than in my kitchen cupboard. though I usually keep a couple of boxes on hand.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get 200 per month (type 1) and usually no problem when I've asked for an increase, or an extra supply if I've used more due to illness, starting on the pump, etc.

However, I find whenever I change my meter, they only give me one box of 50 at first. That must be the default, they haven't the sense to check how many you got before and make it the same. (It even happened after the DAFNE course, when I took in a letter specifying strips for my new meter and the quantity of all my "monitoring supplies" was to be increased. :roll:) I suspect that's what happened to you. Just point out the discrepancy and say you need the same number as before.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi. As am with poorly controlled BS levels despite keep cranking UP the insulin, they have increased mine and am allowed up to 150 test strips a month.
I am a type 2 and have been told to keep two BS testing kits 1 in the car , 1 in my handbag/house with me.
I do still wonder what they will do once they get my meds insulin right and my BS under control.
Could then reduce me to less?
Anna.

Alliballi

Hi I'm type 1 and get as many as I want. I usually put a repeat prescription in when needed and I am given 5 at a time...My docs are pretty good and I never have any problem. :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, there might be an exodus to east sussex now.... :shock:
Any houses for sale in your street? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anna.x :D

gollymax

Dislikes
frogs, snakes, snails, football, rugby, diabetes and all the problems that go with it
Hi everyone
I have been a diabetic for nearly 50 years and I test my blood up to 10 time per day, :evil:
I have an excellent GP who gives me all the blood testing strips I require.
Why do I test my blood so many times ? answer because my levels bounce up and down 24/7 I some times have to top up with a few extra units of insulin, I am due to go on a insulin pump soon so I hope this will help me to cut down on the injections and once I have got the pump set correctly, I can cut down on the blood test. So for many years let say 10x7days=70 tests per week and I have been doing this for at least 15 years+ :(
I find that if you keep those blood sugar levels good (5.5-6.5) then you dont have so many complication :)