EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
What's your glucose level? I'd say more insulin, but you don't want to go hypo.

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Ring 111. You are officially at risk of diabetic ketoacidosis

Or at least ring the healthline. The sick day rules I linked to have instructions on insulin doses but you need to be very careful.

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Ellie. Forget your shower and anything else, DKA can come on rapidly (within less than an hour I was told when I was on the verge of going into it), that's why they want you at the hospital so they can stick you on a drip and react immediately to keep you alive. I don't wish to sound overly dramatic and it may be that you are feeling quite well, don't be fooled by that, DKA involves a body that is shutting down and your ketone level & glucose level may well be telling you that. Get medical advice. x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s 3.3 now that can’t be right but I’m going to have a shower my bs are 15

Nessa - please make contact with your emergency services. I appreciate you are not in UK, but I am sure you know the numbers.

It's time to act. High blood glucose, plus ketone is not a good mix, and has the potential to put you in real danger.

I'm not trying to alarm you, but, please act.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's high ma'am and you should call 111 now whilst taking a couple of u of fast acting insulin and staying hydrated.

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance

Is your breathing ok? You must ring emergency services and take your meds to get those numbers down

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Is your breathing ok? You must ring emergency services and take your meds to get those numbers down

IMG_0307.jpg

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
That's high ma'am and you should call 111 now whilst taking a couple of u of fast acting insulin and staying hydrated.

Hi Kev - Nessa is in New Zealand so should try the number Ellie advised above.

Hope you're ok Nessa - how are you feeling in general ? Do you know why your levels are running high and have they been running high for a while ?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hope you're ok Nessa - how are you feeling in general ? Do you know why your levels are running high and have they been running high for a while ?

Sorry but I don't see your point, I suggested 111 as did Ellie before mentioning their national health line, the point was to ring for medical advice.

Cheers.

Edit, https://www.health.govt.nz/your-health/services-and-support/health-care-services/healthline and as far as it goes 111 is their emergency number so would be appropriate to ring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juicyj

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
111 is overrun here, I assume it may be the same in NZ. With glucose and ketones that high @nessa1970 you need to present yourself to A&E as soon as you can for IV fluids and insulin.

Reactions: slikwipman

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @kev-w

111 is the UK number, it's not an NZ helpline.

0800 611 116 is NZ, I was simply trying to clarify the correct number was called if required for Nessa.

Reactions: nessa1970

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
111 gets you emergency services in NZ. It shouldn't yet be overrun because we've as yet "only " got 39 cases and there's a small chance we'll keep it under control. (Heavy use of track and trace, known cases still linked to overseas arrivals.) But @nessa1970 could be a long way from a hospital, if she's rural.

Nessa, I hope you're feeling better this morning. Please get immediate help if your ketones are still high. Good luck.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Nessa's no idiot ... she knows her NZ number like I know my (Australian) equivalent

Reactions: nessa1970
D

Deleted member 308541

Nessa's no idiot ... she knows her NZ number like I know my (Australian) equivalent
That was one of the first questions I asked when I came to Australia fifty years ago, what's the emergency number...

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi
I got out of hospital today just been sleeping feel sick and heavy
Just tested and 1.2 like all I’ve done is sleep my pump is on
I’m tired so I’ll eat now then Bolus extra for food and drink a lot ok
Hope your well

Reactions: slikwipman

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I got out of hospital today just been sleeping feel sick and heavy
Just tested and 1.2 like all I’ve done is sleep my pump is on
I’m tired so I’ll eat now then Bolus extra for food and drink a lot ok
Hope your well

I'm so pleased to see you've been cared for Nessa. Hopefully, you'll start perking up soon.