C9E8861D-0EFE-46DA-9B9F-558C7813C22F.png
    511.2 KB · Views: 104

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may be at a particularly high risk of getting seriously ill with coronavirus if you:

• have had an organ transplant and are taking immunosuppressant medicine
  • are having chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • have blood or bone marrow cancer, such as leukaemia
  • have a severe chest condition, such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma
You missed one in that screen shot, it seems. I do consider diabetes a serious health condition.

edited by moderator to prevent confusion

Last edited by a moderator:

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You may be at a particularly high risk of getting seriously ill with coronavirus if you:

• have had an organ transplant and are taking immunosuppressant medicine
  • are having chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • have blood or bone marrow cancer, such as leukaemia
  • have a severe chest condition, such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma
You missed one in that screen shot, it seems. I do consider diabetes a serious health condition.
Even type 2?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even type 2?

Who knows what the govt/NHS will eventually decide but I would say type 2 IS a serious condition, it cuts short life expectancy and can be chronic (accepting the fact that many people are able to minimise any complications such as a lot of those on this site).

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This link is clearer.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

(Advice as at 20th March)

There are two groupings

1. "Increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19" and should be "particularly stringent in following social distancing measures":
- is a broader group and includes Diabetics

2. "Even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19" and should be "rigourously following the social distancing advice in full":
  • people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)
It is this second group who will be contacted next week by the NHS individually. It does not includes diabetics (unless you also happen to fall into this second group).

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Complications of T1 diabetes
Risk of:
cardiovascular disease, including a risk of heart attack and stroke
kidney disease and kidney failure
eye problems and vision loss
nerve damage
problems with wound healing
ketoacidosis

Complicactions of T2 diabetes

Risk of:
cardiovascular disease, including a risk of heart attack and stroke
kidney disease and kidney failure
eye problems and vision loss
nerve damage
problems with wound healing, which can lead to gangrene and the need for an amputation
ketoacidosis

Whether your T1 or T2 the risks are pretty much the same

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This link is clearer.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

(Advice as at 20th March)

There are two groupings

1. "Increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19" and should be "particularly stringent in following social distancing measures":
- is a broader group and includes Diabetics

2. "Even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19" and should be "rigourously following the social distancing advice in full":
  • people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)
It is this second group who will be contacted next week by the NHS individually. It does not includes diabetics (unless you also happen to fall into this second group).
Lovely how it's so hard for people to get proper information... It's a maze.

Dark Horse

The government is advising 'social distancing' not 'social isolation' for people with diabetes as they are considered at high risk from Covid-19:-
We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.
The NHS will be contacting people who are at even higher risk from Covid-19 (e.g. those on immuno-suppressants, on chemotherapy/radiotherapy, with severe kidney disease, having been hospitalised for asthma or with cystic fibrosis) by the beginning of next week to give them more detailed advice.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I should be receiving a communication soon then.

But I shan't hold my breath.