Type 2 Large variations in blood sugar

poetic1

Hi, I have type 2 Diabetes. My mmol/l readings seem too erratic. The reading can vary from 14.2 to 27.8. I’m feeling terribly tired and energy level is low. I have even tested on a different monitor and used control solution to check my monitor. I’m not too worried yet, but is this normal?

Thanks again for your help,

poetic1

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you on any medication? How are you eating?
Those levels are very high.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have type 2 Diabetes. My mmol/l readings seem too erratic. The reading can vary from 14.2 to 27.8. I’m feeling terribly tired and energy level is low. I have even tested on a different monitor and used control solution to check my monitor. I’m not too worried yet, but is this normal?

Thanks again for your help,

poetic1
Blood sugars vary throughout the day. That, in itself, is normal. What isn't, is how big the variation is, which shouldn't be more than 2.0 mmol/l, and how high yours are... No wonder you're tired! I'd be crawling if my numbers were like that again. (And yeah, they used to be). You're not supposed to go over 8,5, anything above that'll do damage to arteries, lungs, eyes, kidneys, heart etc... Please go over your meals, because you really, really should get your numbers down. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- that's my little quick start guide. Your diet at this moment is waaaay too high in carbs, all of which turn to glucose once ingested, as I saw in other posts you have put online (Porridge, fruit? No wonder you're high!).

Please take care of yourself eh. Get those blood sugars down. Check the link, let it sink in, and change your eating habits. Pills can only do so much.
Good luck!
Jo

poetic1

I saw my doctor about a month ago and he prescribed 5mg Linagliptin to take with Metformin. The highest reading at that time was about 17 mmol/l. I eat more vegetables and fish

poetic1

I’ve cut out jam and butter. I eat brown bread. An example, yssterday I had porridge for breakfast, 2 boiled eggs with brown bread for lunch and salmon, broccoli, and boiled potatoes for dinner. And yes, 3 chocolate biscuits.

I don’t eat takeaways any more and avoid chips.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I saw my doctor about a month ago and he prescribed 5mg Linagliptin to take with Metformin. The highest reading at that time was about 17 mmol/l. I eat more vegetables and fish

The use of linagliptin is because you have insulin resistance, your levels are high because of it, the drug will help lowering your blood glucose levels but you do have lower your carb intake to help get your blood levels down to more manageable levels.
Starchy vegetables are just as bad as bread etc.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah well that might explain the high numbers. You are eating high carb foods.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I’ve cut out jam and butter. I eat brown bread. An example, yssterday I had porridge for breakfast, 2 boiled eggs with brown bread for lunch and salmon, broccoli, and boiled potatoes for dinner. And yes, 3 chocolate biscuits.

I don’t eat takeaways any more and avoid chips.

That is a healthy breakfast for someone who doesn't have T2.
Porridge, brown bread, potatoes and of course the chocolate biscuits may be to much for you at this time and are causing the higher blood levels.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll rethi my diet and see how it goes. I did have a diet sheet from the clinic when I was first diagnosed.
Throw it away.

Their goals are pathetically high and do nothing to reverse the slow descent into complications they expect and indeed cause by their approach.

They try and get everyone to change just a little rather (easy to hit targets) than everyone to change enough to actually make them better.

They assume no one has the determination to avoid the increasing medication and complication route by fundamentally thinking about food differently. This may be true for some but they aren’t giving people the choice.

please read the link @JoKalsbeek gave you and try it out for a week or two whilst testing before and 2 hrs after food. You will soon learn which foods are doing the damage by seeing the evidence in front of you. No need to trust anyone, nurse, clinic or us.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I’ll rethi my diet and see how it goes. I did have a diet sheet from the clinic when I was first diagnosed.

You might as well burn that sheet if you eat that stuff. Hang around, you'll learn a lot :)

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your meals are high in carbs.

My meals on a typical day:
Breakfast 6am : Ham or bacon and eggs, Veg
OR
Omelette
Snack 9am : Coffee with 2-3 tablespoons DOUBLE (not single) cream
OR
Greek Authentic Yogurt (NOT with fruit and NOT 'greek style') optionally with fresh raspberries or strawberries
OR Cheese(s)
OR Nuts

Lunch 12noon: Mackerel or Sardines or Salmon with Mash and/or Veg
OR
Omelette (with meat/fish filling of your choice)
OR
Leftovers with Mash or fried/poached eggs or Veg

Snack 2pm: from choice snack 9am list above

Dinner 6pm: Pork or Beef or Chicken or Fish with Mash and Veg

Veg means low carb vegetable, e.g. spinach or broccoli, tomatoes..,
Mash means celeriac/cauliflower mash (just boil in water, then mash)

NO evening or midnight snacks.

My blood sugars quickly dropped to below 7.8 mmol/L for these meals.

I exclude: rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, products containing wheat flour, high carb vegetables (e.g. baked beans), high-carb fruits (e.g. bananas, grapes, apples)

My meals are keto-diet (LCHF) that are Low in Carbs and High in Fats. You may want to try some of them, but carefully, little by little and measure 2 hours after meals.