Type 1 healthcare professional and Coronavirus

Vs39

Hello I’m a type 1 with no other health issues. I’m pretty healthy (vegan diet and run 5-10km 2-3 a week) I’m 39 but I’m a nurse and midwife. I desperately want to keep working during this awful situation however I’m also mindful of my own health (and my family). I just wondered if there are any others in my situation and how are you feeling about continuing working? Thank you I’m advance

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m in a similar situation - T1, 45, student paramedic. We’ve been taken off placement and put on study leave for the time being, and offered jobs with the ambulance service in the interim. I start my new role as a non-emergency patient transport driver on Tuesday. Husband also a key worker, in the postal service - our teenager is nearly 17 and will be staying home from school and doing his studies remotely. I’m happy to be contributing to be honest, I want to do my part. Mental health has such an impact on our physical health and immune system, so for me, doing something useful is really important. And there’s not much point me sitting on the sofa and rotting for three months if my husband is bringing the outside world in with him. I’m as well to do my job with the correct PPE. But that’s just my take on it :)

Reactions: Robinredbreast

MNawaz2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am a nurse also. I am type 2 diabetic and an asthmatic. I do feel pretty concerned. I do feel quite nervous about the whole situation. Hope you are ok.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to admit that @LooperCat is doing everything right. Obviously you have to look at yourself and everything you posted about your current state of health apart from the T1 tag would suggest you are more than capable of dealing with covid19.
Being T1 can actually make us a lot healthier than huge swathes of the population .
Yes your role will maybe increase your chances of coming into contact with the virus but if you isolate for 12 weeks at some point you will still have to return, granted the nhs could be in a better position to help if you need it.
How would self isolating affect your own mental state of mind? All the stress with everything that’s going on currently could quite possibly lead to a substantial amounts of stress related illnesses and deaths in the future.
We have to find the balance between being safe and responsible and still living our lives as best we can.

Vs39

Thank you so much for your replies! I guess the thing is that this isn’t going to suddenly disappear after 12 weeks and while yes the NHS May be better equipped to cope with further outbreaks it doesn’t mean we won’t end up with it and it’s unpredictable as to how each individual will respond. I do wonder if I’ve already had it a couple of months ago tbh as felt really unwell (never felt so ill before) was SOB/cough etc but atm there’s no way of knowing. For now I’ve cancelled my nurse A and E shifts and done my overtime on labour ward where I usually work although I’m still at risk from staff/patients/relatives etc. It’s so difficult but I couldn’t agree more I would end up loosing my mind and that could have a significant impact on my diabetes. I’m only going to send my little one to school on the days I work and will take as much precautions as I can to stay safe. Atm I’m more worried about being able to get sufficient food to keep my family healthy and for managing hypos etc. Once again thank you so much for your replies and hope we all stay healthy xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello I’m a type 1 with no other health issues. I’m pretty healthy (vegan diet and run 5-10km 2-3 a week) I’m 39 but I’m a nurse and midwife. I desperately want to keep working during this awful situation however I’m also mindful of my own health (and my family). I just wondered if there are any others in my situation and how are you feeling about continuing working? Thank you I’m advance

Hi, I have two part-time jobs and both have finished. One is facing customers in a well known supermarket promoting goods. I was due to work yesterday, 6 hours and last week it was decided not to carrying on with any promotions or sampling, until further notice, it's a zero hour contract.
I also work with children and because many children were not attending the school, a special needs school, I told my council as from Monday the 23rd, I would be self isolating. Friday, just gone, another child wouldn't be attending so no children to transport, luckily, in this job, I will still get paid as I am now classed as permanent ( I was casual before)
I had a feeling the country would be in a sort of lock down, so that jolted my decision to self isolate, 2 weeks left in that school and then 2 weeks Easter break.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
How would self isolating affect your own mental state of mind? All the stress with everything that’s going on currently could quite possibly lead to a substantial amounts of stress related illnesses and deaths in the future.
We have to find the balance between being safe and responsible and still living our lives as best we can.

I know someone who is finding it difficult already, as they are in a difficult position at the moment, due to home life, in the middle of a divorce, still living in the marital home, with other things going on too, so worry and lack of work now( due to another person being sent home with the sniffles) has started to take it's toll

Emsdevoma

Hello!

I too am feeling the same as you! I’m type 1 and work in health care.
I don’t want to not go to work for many reasons but my head is telling me to stay at home in this terrible time and put me and my family first.
I have sent an email to my Dsn this morning,I guess I’m looking for guidance and advice on what to do next.
Sorry I have no advice for you at this horrible time of all our life’s. just know your not alone in having such a massive decision to make.
Keep safe

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Vs39 . God luck with everything going forward and a big thank you from me and countless others for the great job you’re all doing.
Most supermarkets are doing dedicated NHS shopping slots. Make sure you make the most of the opportunities to get food in.