Self isolation for 12 weeks ?????

M

Member496333

...but there are 4 million people with diabetes in the UK I believe so it clearly won't cover everybody?

And probably another 20m+ with undiagnosed metabolic syndrome and hyperinsilinemia, so it definitely won't cover everybody :nailbiting:

RReyes

Hello!
I’m a type 1 of 24 years. Info is very limited out there for us diabetics who are unsure if we should be working during this worrying time! I work in care and will be needed at work... very anxious and stressed, sugars are running high which is not helping!
My work have told me it’s my choice to self isolate for 12 weeks but may not be entitled to ssp as I’m not actually sick. This is not really an option as will not financially survive with no income.
Just really wondering if we would be able to claim the grant of 80% of wages that was offered yesterday for staff who’s business have been closed due to the virus or is this only available for employers of theses places?

Keep safe
Thanks Emily
That's interesting that they say you can't get SSP because on diabetes org...

It says, and i quote:

"Current government guidance is that employees of all ages with diabetes, including those under 70, should be strongly advised – and supported by employers – to stay at home and work from there if possible. And those people with diabetes who follow advice to stay at home and who cannot work as a result will be able to get statutory sick pay (SSP), even if they are not sick."

Also, I phoned NHS 111 for the past 2 days and was told to self isolate for 12 weeks as I am a type 1 and I work in retail inside a hospital. I also travel to and from work 3 hours a day via buses.

I'm now trying to get some sort of note to give to my employer so I can recieve SSP as they mentioned HR would probably need it but it seems impossible to get a hold of anything :/

I don't mind working but it's so risky where I work and I'd rather not get ill...

No matter how cautious i am, it's useless if no one else follows it.

Emsdevoma

It says, and i quote:

"Current government guidance is that employees of all ages with diabetes, including those under 70, should be strongly advised – and supported by employers – to stay at home and work from there if possible. And those people with diabetes who follow advice to stay at home and who cannot work as a result will be able to get statutory sick pay (SSP), even if they are not sick."

Also, I phoned NHS 111 for the past 2 days and was told to self isolate for 12 weeks as I am a type 1 and I work in retail inside a hospital. I also travel to and from work 3 hours a day via buses.

I'm now trying to get some sort of note to give to my employer so I can recieve SSP as they mentioned HR would probably need it but it seems impossible to get a hold of anything :/

I don't mind working but it's so risky where I work and I'd rather not get ill...

Thanks for getting back to me...
I think my employer was just trying to put me off the idea rather than being concerned about the health implications this virus could potentially have on me!
I am playing the waiting game for now and if things change I will raise my concerns again and go with some government recommendations.
I hope you manage to get a note and are able to keep yourself protected from others because as you say.. it’s not you it’s the others around who could be less bothered about following guidance!

Reactions: kev-w
Victoria Derbyshire on the BBC has just said that one of the conditions that puts you in the at risk group meaning you should self isolate is "type 1 diabetes". Everything I have read makes no distinction between 1 and 2. Is it any wonder people are confused.

Spoz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So it seems like type 1s are being encouraged to isolate. I think possibly they will be writing to people with poorly controlled diabetes and/or combined with other health problems and age.

I believe that rent/mortgages are being put on held so if self isolation is what you need to do to reassure yourself then I think you could possibly get food and supplies through community help groups and food banks?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think all the "should i stay off," is useful questioning, and i do get why people
are undecided.

Diabetics, asthmatics ..and all those who are recommended to have the Flu jab, among others are defined as vulnerable

the point i have seen repeatedly is the doctors themselves are asking us to stay home IF at risk.
because we will simply add the numbers who will get this anyway, and with our symptoms perhaps being exacerbated by the underlying illness (diabtetes, asthma, etc) many will be in HDU or ICU
we endanger them, in a predictable fashion, by simply adding to the numbers they MUST treat if as likely we need more intensive treatment, as this crisis grows.

this isn't simply a case that doctors might be over worked, ..many have died worldwide.

the fact they have to intubate leaves them at risk i believe, the more of us that add to the numbers, the higher that risks becomes, and the more likely if many present as expected at the same time, the Medics won't have enough PPE to secure their own safety (as is currently happening) and god bless them will carry on trying to save patients even at real risk to themselves.

IF you have to question should you, for perfectly reasonable financial grounds or even your own health circumstances, please bear them in mind.

We don't have enough as it is, and falling ill or if showing symptoms many will be off in self isolation for 7 days, and those who do succumb, have become patients in their own ICU's and some have died.

Not sure i would want THAT as my everyday work experience.

They say they go to work so we don't have to.
all they are asking is we sit this one out on the sofa.

ETj0nhAWsAAJa98

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/wor...766e592940ec06703e11ab&pinned_post_type=share

Could you sit on the couch for a few weeks or more
and maybe save a life ?
Yours or theirs .?

Last edited:

RReyes

It says, and i quote:

An update on my situation. After many failed attempts at getting through to the "isolation note" department via 111 they have told me that even though they say I should stay away from my work/hospital for 12 weeks, they will not give me an isolation note unless i am either A. Infected in the first place or show symptoms or B. Someone in the household is infected or shows symptoms and instead said to get a sick note my GP instead.

I'm going to try that on Monday when they are open but I feel like my hopes are slim and they will say no and I'll have to go back to work the very same week despite the extremely high chance of me catching this virus from the germbags at the hospital >_> (and i'm not joking, even the doctors at the hospital sneeze directly and all over the self-service scanners and they should know better!)

Lilylala

I think it's a catch 22 , dam if you do dam if you don't .I am to self isolate as insulin dependent diabetic also I care for a 80 year old mother-in-law .But my daughter who is asthmatic and the cleaner of a zoo which has not closed and haa a son who has now had his school closed has to go to work on Monday as all other cleaners there have gone into isolation.So I now have my grandson to look after, I'm in isolation, look after a 80 year old, daughter is asthmatic? What do I do?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's a catch 22 , dam if you do dam if you don't .I am to self isolate as insulin dependent diabetic also I care for a 80 year old mother-in-law .But my daughter who is asthmatic and the cleaner of a zoo which has not closed and haa a son who has now had his school closed has to go to work on Monday as all other cleaners there have gone into isolation.So I now have my grandson to look after, I'm in isolation, look after a 80 year old, daughter is asthmatic? What do I do?

Asthma is on the list which is strongly advised to strictly socially distance. If others from her work have gone off work because they are at risk, then she has just as much reason to do the same.

alternatively, if she chooses to go to work, then she should not be asking you to look after her child. The government are clearly and frequently asking parents NOT to leave children with the elderly. The risk is too great.

I am afraid that in your situation I would refuse to take your grandson.

Have you seen the pleas from medical workers over the last couple of days? They are begging us to be sensible, to avoid risk of catching the virus, and to avoid exposing high risk groups (such as your MIL) from exposure to the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51991887

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The actual advice to diabetics (at the moment) is stringent social distancing not the 12 week isolation (which is for even more at risk people) . See the link to the government page in my signature. But if you can isolate and are inclined to why not.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
My response? Stay home. Please stay home. The govt. is gradually catching up and day by day we’re seeing more stringent measures to keep people away from each other. London has hospitals that are overwhelmed and we can’t pretend Orange Donald’s built a high fence between London and the rest of the UK, so stay home to protect key health workers and others from the onslaught of this virus on overworked health staff.
I know it’s hard to step outside the ‘am I allowed to’ box we’ve had to live in, but ask yourself what you’d do if it was totally up to you to decide.

Reactions: KK123

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It’s a difficult situation. I suppose it’s up to your daughter whether she’s tough with the zoo but if I were her mother I want her to self isolate. I’d want her to tell the zoo that she can’t work in a situation where she risks being infected. How much contact does she have with the visiting public? Why hasn’t the zoo closed, or has it now? I hope it has! Does your mother live with you?
I agree with @Brunneria, you should refuse to look after her grandson; you don’t want to be the carrier who passes the virus to your mother, and you ought not to risk getting it yourself, for the sake of everyone else.

ascowie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went into self isolation on Thursday 19th for 14 days, I have a dry cough, mild headache and a runny nose.
I don't think I have the virus but can't be sure.
I am diabetic type 2, I have asthma, I have a heart murmer, I'm Anaemic, I also get the flu jab every year. I'm 51 years old.

I work as a Security Officer and don't get paid for being off sick, when I told my work that I wont be in for 14 days they were not happy. Im calling them next week to ask about this new grant where the government pay 80% of you wages but feel they wont ask on my behalf as they dont give a **** about there staff.

I have a few questions -

1. Am I in the high risk category and need to isolate for 12 weeks? If so how do I get a sick line
2. SSP should be increased if we can't get the 80% grant as I cant live on £90 odd a week
3. Can your employer let you go during 12 weeks if your in self isolation

I believe there is a lot of people out there uncertain of their futures, I'm so scared I can't sleep for worrying.

Is there anyone that can answer my questions or just give me some advice.

Thank you for your time
Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

captaindave

I am a 59 yr old T1 - I work as a self-employed Courier. Not sure whether to self-isolate or not.

I am fit and well apart from the T1, and recently Hermes said we no longer have to get signatures, which obviously reduces possible contact a lot - To be honest i work a very very rural area, lots of farms etc,so i dont tend to see many customers anyway and can leave parcels in safe places.

Apparently we are classed as " Key Workers " now !! this dosnt affect me as our youngest is 17 and in 6th form ( well at home now and learning online ) so no child care issues.

I have had Sickness and Accident Insurance for many years ( never claimed ) and contacted them to see if they would cover me for 12 week self-isolation - the answer i got was " they would look to cover me " which is a bit wooly for my liking.

My insurance pay would be a fair wack and cover mortgage/bills etc, but i would still be much better off financially by continuing to work....

Decisions decisions !

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the answer i got was " they would look to cover me " which is a bit wooly for my liking
This isn't being discussed anywhere I've seen (but must be somewhere) - the insurance companies can't cover all of this (or even a small fraction I imagine) and the government must know this. The wording about "advice" and "requiring" a business to close or people to not work is I suspect, at least in part, about shielding the insurance industry until they can figure out what to do. One way of getting money to people who need it would be to use the insurance mechanism supported by government funding. I bet they are having discussions on this.

This is pure speculation on my part and not terribly helpful for you right now though. Sorry.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do we fall under this 1.5 million extremely vulnerable who will be contacted by the NHS this week

If by 'we' you mean all those with all the different types of diabetes in the UK, then no.
There are more than 4 million of us, so the numbers don't add up.

Have a look at the www.gov.uk website's corona virus pages.
They clearly set out that diabetes comes into the strongly advised to socially distance group.
While there is a list of other conditions which fall into the extremely vulnerable group, and are most likely the 1.5 million you mention (although different sources quote different numbers, which is a good indication of the level of fear mongering and mutated whispering/gossip that is going on about this).

The gov.uk website is the best source for the UK on the actual facts, rather than the massaged interpretations that keep turning up in the news and on social media.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do we fall under this 1.5 million extremely vulnerable who will be contacted by the NHS this week
Not yet just on diabetes alone. See link in my signature for current official guidance

Cdean8780

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How can I social distance when working in a hospital. My job Is to clean infected rooms I have managed to get away from doing the corona 1s but this causing stress.

If they put u on a ward as normal domestic these patients are still there. And I cant go near them again causing arguments n stress, defending myself.