What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you are walking again @Goonergal must mean you are better/on the mend. Breakfast: Lots of AMT - sweetened: L: CW? - whole milk + almond milk and SF caramel syrup; Mid aft: Water; Eve: Mackerel salad, some cheese,slice of Ox tongue ; some Sainsbury’s 85% chocolate. No more mackerel and doubts about salad medium and long term. I'll find out very shortly if I can tolerate much LC other than salad with tinned mackerel and avo. Perspective needed in these times. DIL who normally works on teenage cancer ward isolating as has symptoms - onset quick and not pleasant. No test just keep away and get here again asap. Son and granddaughter on 14 day lock down. Account of conditions and stress in hospital not good - toss up which is disappearing fastest, beds or staff. If I have to suck it up for a while, eat more carbs than ideal or fast a few times so be it. That girl and those like her are bearing the brunt.
Sorry for your family, and sorry for EVERYONE because these people are salt of the earth and who we ALL depend on. Those folk who look after us all are HEROES ALWAYS. God bless and keep them.

Reactions: maglil55

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
21-03-2020
Breakfast 2x CWC and some substandard nut granola. Made without both pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Added extra coconut and flaxseeds, but its not as nice. Might be a while before I can buy any as well. Have got enough for 8-10 days though.
Microwave scrambled eggs. While not truly concerned about food stocks, running out of gas for the cooker would possibly be a problem. So suddenly the mostly ignored microwave is getting a lot more use.
Lunch. Cheese , toast and English salad. Tea to drink.
Dinner, chicken thighs again, third day. This time MrSlim had his with rice, while I had the leftover cauliflower cous-cous. I steamed leeks and brocolli but we didn't really need them as had added red pepper and shredded green beans to both the rice and cous-cous. Some leeks left for tomorrow.
One glass white wine. Tea.
Am considering purchase of polytunnel. If this goes on for a long time we probably should maximise home food production. We had planned to get/build greenhouse at some point, but maybe it's actually needed now. Like my extra vegetable bed. Planned back in January. Only just happening because its been too wet to dig clay soil until recently.
@Goonergal love the duck. Can you identify it?
@Chook hilarious post. Thank you for sharing

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
When I got up this morning I realised that I had forgotten to take my basal dose of insulin last night - needle still on the bedside table, so I couldn't have. Wasn't sure whether or not to take it so late on, but decided no. BG was 10.2 but it dropped during the day and was 4.9 after my evening meal.

Breakfast - about 9.30 - 2 small pork sausages (rubbish quality, but that's all the shop had), 2 rashers streaky bacon and 2 fried eggs.

Neil decided to "help" me give the cooking area a spring clean with a little hand-held steamer. All I wanted to do was degrease the fan above the cookers because I had cleaned the cover. It ended up with everything being cleared, all the pots and pans taken down and washed, all the bars and hooks cleaned with detergent and then steam cleaned. I have 2 bars above my cooking area with butchers' hooks to hold saucepans and utensils. I did put the hooks through the dishwasher, but they still felt greasy, so I've put them back in again for another go. Cooking area is now sparkling clean but I now have piles of pans and utensils around the place waiting for hooks to hang on. The idea seems to have come to Neil because I asked him to help me clean the oven a couple of days ago. He made a very good job of it and it seems to have put him in the mind of cleaning things. My oven is a very elderly commercial one which has stood the test of time but there are bits that don't work very well (door catch, on/off switch and so on) but it is a good oven. Being low down, I have had difficulty cleaning it for quite a while, so it has suffered a bit. I don't want to replace it though.

This spring clean took pretty well all day, so I had nothing else to eat until about 9 pm - lamb leg steak (I used to call them gigot chops, but they're apparently not called that any more) with a salad made of the roast vegetables from a couple of days ago plus some other bits.

Em's dad called in a few minutes ago, to see if I have a spare thermometer - Em seems to be a bit warm and she has been sneezing a lot. I had 2, so I gave them both to him. I can never get a sensible response from them anyway - I had them when my husband was sick, to keep an eye on his temperature and they've been at the back of the medicines drawer since he died. DIL's second degree was in nursing, so she should have some idea about how to use them. Son just phoned - Em's temperature is OK, according to both thermometers, so all's well for the present.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: Scram egg and sausage
L: My homemade chicken soup base, mixed with boiling water and a dash of cream. Worked out fine. Very pleased.
D: carni pizza

@ianpspurs very sorry to hear about your DIL. Hope they get the mild version.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope all good in da hood or whatever people say. Pups enjoying the sunshine and (small) garden, mums being facetimed, eerie calm round here. DIL seems to be OK. Breakfast: Lots of tea - some with AM, some sweetened and some with cream: L: CWC and whole milk+ SF caramel syrup; Aft: Water; Meal: Locally sourced pork from freezer, cauliflower cheese, spinach, jus; 10% Greek yogurt and raspberries. Ate/will eat early (< 17.30) so may not see me through - if so I’ll go cheese then Sainsbury’s 85% choc. Tiptoe through the viands until next delivery - bg gonna do what bg gonna do. Found the almond milk kettle, scales and almonds so all systems go for h/m AM. Veg, salad and fruit box delivery from Norfolk sorted and glad I once ordered from Musclefood.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke up too early again and when making second cup of tea around 4:30 I found half a tub of Marmite cream cheese in the fridge and ate the lot with a teaspoon. Bad move bg rose to 6.3 highest it’s been for weeks.
Next food mid morning a couple of tuna muffin melts with salad and olive oil.
Last meal of the day just now https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-indian-cabbage-stir-fry which I think is the first DD meal I’ve actively disliked. Stopped after a few mouthfuls and had walnuts instead. Now about to tackle the cheese in oldest daughter’s card. Granddaughters ate the original chocolate heart (bet they hated doing that!) and daughter carved a cheese heart to put in its place. She left it on the doorstep as we are in quarantine.
Glad to hear your DIL is doing well @ianpspurs and that the pups are settling nicely.
@Annb I will take a leaf out of your book and start some spring cleaning tomorrow.
IMG_2113.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: Unusual two egg, cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.
Lunch: Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.
Dinner: Mutton chops, veggies, gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, water.

Our Woolies online order arrived last night around 7:00 pm, so not much of a delay.

Got a email from Woolies about "Priority Deliveries", which we have applied for, have not heard back as yet tho'...

One of the volunteers who works behind the bar at the club every now again when he is not fighting fires.

90148005_1288706551315303_2060254902327705600_n.jpg

Edit: Added pix of protective face mask, hoodie, and gloves in action.
Thanks for that. I've shared it with my SIL in Summerland Point. Her Hubby had a stroke so they are kind of limited for Woolies visits. You really are a font of info.

Reactions: Annb and ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 4.8 FBG 5.1 on Friday. Few days behind again as I was still struggling with this bug. I'm still taking these weird turns for about 1hr but I'm waiting until it's over then having a hot shower and a coat of Vics. Generally I get tired really easily. I've never had a cold like this so even I am having doubts. I ventured out to pick up meds for a few people. Pharmacies are operating one in one out and the abuse the poor staff are taking is a disgrace. I had a go at 2 of them in front of me and told them it's now the fault of the staff and they should keep their disgusting language to themselves. If they're not happy I'm sure the pharmacy can give them their prescription back and they can go elsewhere. I got a round of applause from the queue. I'm looking a bit Hannibal Lector because my DIL has me in a respirator mask which she has for work. When I got in the pharmacist thanked me as they're not allowed to be rude. Friday food.
B. TAG
L. Nothing was exhausting myself trying to get bits and bobs.
D. 2 beef olives with carrot, onion, green beans and cauliflower florets. Chucked it in the IP and 20 mins later it was ready.

Lots of water, hot showers and early nights. Throat is still niggling but nothing like it was at the start of this.

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

@ianpspurs sorry to hear about the daughter in law. Hope she’s not too bad.
@DJC3 I keep waking too early (even by my standards) too. Most annoying. Has Dennis eaten the remote yet?

A bit tired after yesterday’s walk, which may have been a little over enthusiastic. Went for a shorter jaunt today.

Meals were comprised largely of items that had been defrosted in my malfunctioning freezer - replaced yesterday.

Breakfast was smoked salmon and cream cheese.

Lunch/snack was 2 squares Lidl 95% chocolate (12.7g/100g) and a bag of cheesies.

Dinner was 2 brined chicken thighs and some double cream with 1 square of the Lidl chocolate.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 4.8 FBG 5.1 on Friday. Few days behind again as I was still struggling with this bug. I'm still taking these weird turns for about 1hr but I'm waiting until it's over then having a hot shower and a coat of Vics. Generally I get tired really easily. I've never had a cold like this so even I am having doubts. I ventured out to pick up meds for a few people. Pharmacies are operating one in one out and the abuse the poor staff are taking is a disgrace. I had a go at 2 of them in front of me and told them it's now the fault of the staff and they should keep their disgusting language to themselves. If they're not happy I'm sure the pharmacy can give them their prescription back and they can go elsewhere. I got a round of applause from the queue. I'm looking a bit Hannibal Lector because my DIL has me in a respirator mask which she has for work. When I got in the pharmacist thanked me as they're not allowed to be rude. Friday food.
B. TAG
D. 2 beef olives with carrot, onion, green beans and cauliflower florets. Chucked it in the IP and 20 mins later it was ready.

Lots of water, hot showers and early nights. Throat is still niggling but nothing like it was at the start of this.

Winner for speaking up in the pharmacy. Hugs for still feeling ill. You’re having a really rough time.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B. TAG

Well done you! round of applause was fully deserved. So sorry to hear you’re still not well though. Can someone else go out for you? Doesn’t sound like you should be out and about.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 39544 Tescos delivery today! Yay!
And what a bizarre collection of substitutes.
The order was for £120
The value of the food rec’d was £65
At least half of it was substitutions :hilarious:
And some were v interesting.

hey ho. Next available slot already booked - in 18 days!
We have already decided that our local butcher is the way to go. Bless the place.

b: scram eggs
L: burglars
D: chicken korma and a mouthful of dhal

Today’s pic to make you smile (I hope) is for you @Annb
We're in the same boat. Sainsbury's not a slot to be had. Tesco is close so DIL allows me to go her provided I wear my Hannibal Lector mask, wipe the trolley with the dettol wipes and latex gloves which we bin on the way out. She determined that if this is a bad cold I'm not catching anything else. The visit to Tesco was worth it as I got a whole duck half price, chicken breast joint and gammon. Also found the last large chicken for DIL, GF sausages and another gammon joint. It's still a bit stripped but improving. I got a slot at Morrisons for Thursday so we've combined our order with DIL. Next available was 10 April so we'll do the same again. All the butchers here closed down but one 10 miles along the coast is now doing deliveries with 48hrs notice. Local farm shop is also doing deliveries. It's very much support your local business.

Reactions: Annb and ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're right @Annb, there are no words. There are so many good things going on but also so many really awful actions. I understand what you are saying about feeling tearful. For all I look forward to school holidays to get a break this is different. DIL is self isolating the boys for 2 weeks to make sure they don't have anything before she's allowing them to ours. Boys have accepted it and are phoning us. Home schooling starts Monday and the packs the school made up are rather good. As the weather improves more lessons will be in the garden. She's praying they start testing to see who has had it but I can't see that happening.

D

Deleted member 308541

Thanks for that. I've shared it with my SIL in Summerland Point. Her Hubby had a stroke so they are kind of limited for Woolies visits. You really are a font of info.
@maglil55 Here's some more info on the priority assistance service at this link, I think you have to be a online shopping customer but not sure.

I was approved yesterday by a text message that I can get it, I claimed a COPD, AFib, T2 and put my pensioner concession card # on the list.

To ensure vulnerable customers in the community have access to delivery services at this time, we will be providing a Priority Assistance service with dedicated delivery windows.

Eligible customers include seniors, people with a disability and those with compromised immunity or who are required to self isolate.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/discover/priorityassistance

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.9 FBG 6.2. Saturday. @Goonergal glad to see you're getting back to normal. There is hope for me yet. @PenguinMum - I'm feeling reasonable most of the day, it's just if I tried to do something it knocks me for 6. Plus I have that daily weird hour where I just feel congested, exhausted and generally awful. All I did today was clean a shower room (much to Hubby's horror) and I had to lie down but feel OK again now. @DJC3 - I do hope your granddaughter is OK. My grandsons thankfully are showing no sign of illness. Despite feeling awful, I've lost another 2 lbs si I've shed 16lbs on the DD 10 week program. I'm going to keep it up but now we're in a phase of now what would you like but rather you'll eat what I can get.
B. TAG
L. Got another skinny bread made so had another tomato and mayo sandwich before transporting DIL to various places to shut down her clinic and see what we could find.
D. 2 GF sausages, fried egg and green beans.
Loads of water again.

Had another 2 encounters with inconsiderate sods today. DIL first when someone tried to pass her in a queue because she was "far away" from the person in front. She gave her both barrels about social distancing before telling her Back Off! I then bumped into an ex friend of my other SIL in Australia who has never made a secret of the fact she doesn't like me and the feeling is mutual. She was walking with someone and her husband and informed me that they were off to see if a certain restaurant was open but going to the pub first for a few drinks. Was my hubby in the pub? No, of course not. He's doing as advised by the government and staying safe. I thought at 76 and with was it a heart condition? You would be sensible to do the same? I got quite a glare but I hit the target.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: chicken drumstick with coleslaw followed by Oppo cheesecake with cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and as I wasn’t going to IL’s for tea a Jaffa Quake Carb Killa bar! :joyful:
Dinner: roast chicken, mixed veg and a tiny roast potato followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola.

49B71BAE-7491-436B-8F56-18B1022AD9C6.jpeg

Reactions: Annb and maglil55