EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
OK, I'm in New Zealand and covid cases are just starting to take off. I'm 58 and have had T1 for 50 years, no obvious complications.

We (husband and self) are self isolating for the long haul.

So, do I get a flu shot (supposedly available next week.) Normally I would but I'm thinking that if I'm avoiding covis-19 I'll also avoid normal flu.... Don't desperately want to sit in the surgery while I await my shot, though numbers in my area are still low.

Any thoughts?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi EllieM, That is a difficult decision. I presume that you would normally get a flu jab and that because of your diabetes you are more at risk than the average person should you catch the flu.

In the UK currently GP surgeries are relatively empty as Doctors are making use of telephone consultations. So the risk from sitting in a GP surgery is lower than it was a couple of weeks ago.

Also in the UK, pharmacies also did the flu jab as well as GPs. I got mine at my local pharmacy in October, we had to book it and as it turned out we only saw 4 other customers in the pharmacy during that time.

You say that you are self isolating. This can be a little vague are you still doing food shopping? -Or do you have a delivery? If you have a delivery, is it one where you and the person delivering remain at least 2 meters apart?

If you are sticking to the 2 meter rule with everybody, and are wiping down all items delivered, washing hands after touching things etc. then you are very unlikely indeed to come into contact with either flu or Covid-19.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, I've got an appointment for 31st March. Not too worried about the internet rumours that a flu jab might make covid worse, but slightly worried that I might catch covid from the poor nurse who's doing the injections. I guess I'll see what the rates are like here in a week's time. In theory NZ has locked down earlier than many other countries, so we might stand a better chance at keeping things under control...

Stay safe everyone.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Maybe you can get it done now, while risk is lower, rather then later when who knows what things will be like, Either virus would best be avoided obviously, so you just have to weigh what it is worth to you. Potentially get some protection with a flu shot and hope that is good enough to guard to some degree against seasonal flu or have no protection at all. Tough times, tough decisions. Life wasn't meant to be easy, but it sure isn't getting any easier.

D

Deleted member 308541

I will still get the fluvax in May, that is is CV19 does not get me before then...