Breakdown of Italy’s figures (edited title)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Also in Italy many people are dying at home and in care homes and as they had not been tested they are not included in the statistics or the official records of coronavirus deaths.

lindisfel

Expert
Thanks David,
Your post was no problem at all.
As with Biblical exposition, context is everything! :)
D.

Sorry for confusion, the army thing is in Italy. My original post was about 'would these people have died anyway' and my opinion is still the same, whatever country you want to talk about. Yes we're all going to go eventually but hopefully not because of a virus.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
Also in Italy many people are dying at home and in care homes and as they had not been tested they are not included in the statistics or the official records of coronavirus deaths.
It is horrific, John.
Many of us, like you, can see what's going to happen and wish this nightmare was over.
D.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Why do I begin to feel concerned by this post? Is it because people are being reduced to stats?
Each of the deaths would have been different were it not for Covid19; from what I’ve discovered it’s an awful way to die.
However few, however many, whatever the odds, please please let us all do our best to prevent this virus spreading.

Oil Drum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why do I begin to feel concerned by this post? Is it because people are being reduced to stats?
Each of the deaths would have been different were it not for Covid19; from what I’ve discovered it’s an awful way to die.
However few, however many, whatever the odds, please please let us all do our best to prevent this virus spreading.

A horrible lonely death for sure, sadly we are at a place where the greater good has to take centre stage.

Oil Drum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would be very interesting to see how the history books describe this 100 years from now.

1000 years from now they will have to translate any statistics they may dig up.

I think it will be viewed similar to the 1918 flu pandemic. the BBC made a good drama ducumentary on the horrific 1918 pandemic staraing Bill Paterson & Kenith Cranham of which I can't find a DVD or download anywhere apart from pirate Youtubes.
For history won't be kind to some politicians and the lack of an immediate worldwide response.
I am pretty sure the cruise ship industry will see a truly massive longlasting down turn and the damage to air travel related will be huge.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve edited the title as I can’t say it’s not so scary anymore. I was originally referring to the specific extra risk of diabetes but now it’s like a horror story however you break it down.

Reactions: JohnEGreen and zand

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Interesting?

90585468_2893044680751642_3266620957036380160_n.jpg

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yet there are still those who don't see why they should stay home. I am not talking about those who have key jobs and need to be there.

I know, what I'm seeing in the news today makes me want to cry - over the fact that people can be so stupid.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They would have done eventually, just not now and not in such great numbers that the mortuaries are full and the army are having to remove dead bodies from hospitals and store them somewhere else.

If there had been no covid19 virus, we would not be seeing the army removing dead bodies from the hospital mortuaries.

One reason the army is having to do this is that the relatives of the people who died refused to let them be buried without a funeral and they couldn't have funerals because they couldn't have group gatherings, and the local governments gave in to them instead of burying the dead right away.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know, what I'm seeing in the news today makes me want to cry - over the fact that people can be so stupid.
It's those who think they will only get mild symptoms isn't it? And they don't give a fig about the rest of us.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
While we are still about 2 weeks 'behind Italy', we should all do what we can to help ourselves.

Dr Aseem Malhotra on Sky News:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
While we are still about 2 weeks 'behind Italy', we should all do what we can to help ourselves.

Dr Aseem Malhotra on Sky News:
Only 17.4 % of people in the USA are metabolically healthy!!! Should I be surprised by this? Think they could be in for a rough ride across the pond.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Startling.

If we add in UK data upto the 21st March: 233 deaths.
Italy 14 days previous (7th March)... 233 deaths.

The price being paid for being slow out of the starting blocks. And it does appear to be true that once contagion takes hold, the numbers are doubling every 4 to 5 days.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This also makes sober reading if we really are on the same trajectory:-
upload_2020-3-22_14-37-36.png

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's those who think they will only get mild symptoms isn't it? And they don't give a fig about the rest of us.
And they may be in for a rude awakening some have mild symptoms others have frankly horrific symptom many who think they may have an easy time of it are going to wish they had more sense. Bye the way a woman in New Jersey 54 and no known health problems has died along with her 73 year old mother and two of her siblings.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only 17.4 % of people in the USA are metabolically healthy!!! Should I be surprised by this? Think they could be in for a rough ride across the pond.

I don't know if you should be surprised by this or not.
I am. I also wonder where you got this 17.4% number.
I don't suspect we here in the US are in for any more of a rough ride than anyone on your side of the "pond."