Type 2, metformin and not blood monitoring do I need to self isolate?

Kamiknix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do I really need to self-isolate for 12 weeks if I’m type 2? I don’t have to monitor my bloods and take 2 x 500mg metformin daily.
My BMI is 34.
What happens with my family do they need to as well?
Getting no info as drs closed.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How are your levels currently? Why do you think you don't have to monitor you bloods?

I see from your profile that you've been a member of this site for a while. My own personal view is that although my levels are under control and my last HbA1C was 34 that I will continue to monitor my bloods and will probably increase the monitoring and lower my carbs even more (currently under 20 grams a day). If I do get the virus I would expect it to increase my levels so want to start with the lowest possible point.

If you are able to self isolate that may be good. I can't b ut I live in a small rural community with. no cases of the virus so feeling okay at the moment- I'm still being very careful.

The current world has a lot of unknowns and I think because other people's lives may depend on not getting the virus we need to do what we can to stop the spread.

Good luck.

RobertaTaylor

VashiB here in the UK T2 diabetics are not advised to monitor their bloods. When I was first diagnosed in 2003 I was given a monitor & advised to test 2-3 tines a week. After a couple of years that changed & was told current guidelines say T2 not on insulin don’t need to , so stopped issuing testing strips.
Unfortunately you have no idea how you are doing & last time I looked the testing strips were around £25 a pot to buy from the chemists.
You seem to have very good control if your diabetes. My last doctor’s HBA1C was high, 65, but that was after Christmas .

Stay safe.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 are not in the list for self isolation. Strongly advised to practice social distancing which is a different set of rules.

mouseee

VashiB here in the UK T2 diabetics are not advised to monitor their bloods. When I was first diagnosed in 2003 I was given a monitor & advised to test 2-3 tines a week. After a couple of years that changed & was told current guidelines say T2 not on insulin don’t need to , so stopped issuing testing strips.
Unfortunately you have no idea how you are doing & last time I looked the testing strips were around £25 a pot to buy from the chemists.
You seem to have very good control if your diabetes. My last doctor’s HBA1C was high, 65, but that was after Christmas .

Stay safe.
Tesco pharmacy.... £10 for meter and strips then £10 for box of 50.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
We Type 2 diabetics in the UK (unless on stronger drugs than Metformin) are advised either :
That we shouldn't test.
Or that there is no need to test.

But we know that there is very strong evidence that Low Carb often works even when there is very little support, and works for around 50% of Dr David Unwin's patients (with some support) and even works for 60% of Virta Health patients (with substantial support).
So if we can afford to do so, why don't we test our Blood Glucose (if we can afford to self-fund) so that we can get our eating right and maximise the chances of getting our BG numbers back under the diabetic range.

I have been criticised for saying this in the past, but I believe in using common sense, only taking good advice and ignoring bad advice even when it comes from GPs or the government. As my wife is fond of saying 'If they told you to jump off a bridge would you do it?'

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar

Stay safe.
SD Codefree strips are £7.99 for 50 online. They are accurate (I can estimate my HBA1c results from the average of my own readings. The meters are £12.99 online.

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's a mix of both at the moment ... or at least that's the approach I'm taking. I'm managing by diet at the moment and my usual readings are between 5 and 7 but work have taken the view that anybody falling into one of the risk categories identified by the government should work from home for the next three months if they can, so I am and have been doing since Tuesday. It helps that I live on my own but given that you can't find an online shopping slot for love nor money at the moment I had to go out yesterday to get some food in so that was a case of social distancing. Front door's now shut for another week and won't be going out unless I absolutely have to.

Reactions: ianf0ster

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:
M

Member496333

I usually pay around £23-26 for 100 Contour Next strips on eBay (2x 50). I think that's pretty good considering they're among the more pricey strips out there.

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
An algorithm may well be used to determine what constitutes ✻highest risk✻ ..based on a patient's medical history ..to trigger the order to 'stay at home'

My concern is for the folk that have slipped through the net ..with undiagnosed diabetes ..unknowingly vulnerable to coronavirus.