Corona virus isolation

steveo4

I've just read that NHS 111 are advising all your one diabetics to self isolate for 12 weeks regardless whether they have any symptoms or not. Is this correct or is this misleading?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Reactions: kev-w
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just read that NHS 111 are advising all your one diabetics to self isolate for 12 weeks regardless whether they have any symptoms or not. Is this correct or is this misleading?

Steve - I hope you might find something useful in this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/coronavirus-covid-19-uk-government-response

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2020/mar/update-for-those-vulnerable-to-coronavirus.html

It's all developing and rather quickly at the moment

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, Type 1 and numerous other issues, but the concerning one for me is that i have autonomic nervous system failure, would this put me in the high at risk, and should self isolate?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes my son is T1 and had a letter from his surgery saying he must isolate for 12 weeks luckily he can work from home

Ross101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can anyone clarify is we come under this high risk group the government has announced? There is a group that states “more susceptible to getting infections” is that us? This is a clear as mud

Reactions: RobBrown

josh1334

Can anyone clarify is we come under this high risk group the government has announced? There is a group that states “more susceptible to getting infections” is that us? This is a clear as mud
I would assume we are part of that group.

I however cannot afford to have the time off work so as long as it stays as advice only I will still be going to work. My work only give SSP which isn't enough

RobBrown

I rekon the gov mean we distance from others but not isolate for the 12week group

Ross101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was looking at the NHS guidance which is
Below:

Who is at high risk?
You may be at high risk from coronavirus if you:

• have had an organ transplant
  • are having certain types of cancer treatment
  • have blood or bone marrow cancer, such as leukaemia
  • have a severe lung condition, such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma
  • have a condition that makes you much more likely to get infections
  • are taking medicine that weakens your immune system
  • are pregnant and have a serious heart condition
Information:
If you're at high risk, you will be contacted by the NHS by Sunday 29 March 2020. Do not contact your GP or healthcare team at this stage – wait to be contacted.

The message just isn’t clear enough

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
From what the health bloke said on the Downing St news conference this evening, this 1.5million is only in England anyway, so not even UK wide. I expect the Celtic nations will make their own announcements.

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was looking at the NHS guidance which is
Below:

Who is at high risk?
You may be at high risk from coronavirus if you:

• have had an organ transplant
  • are having certain types of cancer treatment
  • have blood or bone marrow cancer, such as leukaemia
  • have a severe lung condition, such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma
  • have a condition that makes you much more likely to get infections
  • are taking medicine that weakens your immune system
  • are pregnant and have a serious heart condition
Information:
If you're at high risk, you will be contacted by the NHS by Sunday 29 March 2020. Do not contact your GP or healthcare team at this stage – wait to be contacted.

The message just isn’t clear enough
I am type 2 and i am 59 . I do havd history of past chest infections and bron hitis but it appwars its type 1 that are to isolate not type 2. So then i read diabetics are at high risk .so whybis type 2 not seen enough of a risk to self isolate? I would rather be at work but i would rather not be dead. I know if i got it i would die. I am not exactly fit . I am at present taking holiday pay from my upcoming holiday weeks due to me this year but not all holiday. My work will re assess in a few weeks to see how this virus is going and what to do next. I work in a supermarket so i cannot socially distance myself . I can see that i am not going to make it if i get it. So because these guidlines are putting type 2 into the lesser of the high risk catagory and i will have to self distance as they say, i am seriously going to write a will and get my priorities sorted. It looks like coronavirus is here to stay until they find a cure and the way its going its not even started yet. Diebetes 2 is seen high risk but its not enough for us to be put into isolation. Also not assessing peoples individual health whom may have other underlying issues as well that pushes up the risk even more it seems that many of us are not being evaluated as individuals with this life threatening virus.

Ross101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am type 2 and i am 59 . I do havd history of past chest infections and bron hitis but it appwars its type 1 that are to isolate not type 2. So then i read diabetics are at high risk .so whybis type 2 not seen enough of a risk to self isolate? I would rather be at work but i would rather not be dead. I know if i got it i would die. I am not exactly fit . I am at present taking holiday pay from my upcoming holiday weeks due to me this year but not all holiday. My work will re assess in a few weeks to see how this virus is going and what to do next. I work in a supermarket so i cannot socially distance myself . I can see that i am not going to make it if i get it. So because these guidlines are putting type 2 into the lesser of the high risk catagory and i will have to self distance as they say, i am seriously going to write a will and get my priorities sorted. It looks like coronavirus is here to stay until they find a cure and the way its going its not even started yet. Diebetes 2 is seen high risk but its not enough for us to be put into isolation. Also not assessing peoples individual health whom may have other underlying issues as well that pushes up the risk even more it seems that many of us are not being evaluated as individuals with this life threatening virus.

The problem is the message being given out it far too vague. Whenever I have heard about diabetics I have not heard distinguishing types just diabetics as a group so I would imagine type 2 would also need to self isolate

I am a police officer so every time I go to work I am putting myself at risk and I honestly don’t know based on the guidance if I am meant to be staying home or not. The only thing I can do is wait for next week and see if I get a letter or not.

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
only 1.5million letters going out but theres 4 million registered diabetics in the uk so no idea whether this applies to us or not

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They said type 1 is in the serious risk group to self isolate . Nothing about type 2 even though we are high risk. . So we are supposed to self distance. What a joke. I work in a supermarket !!what they need to tell us is what would happen to people with type 2 if they get it as in the actual complications and the high risk association. As i would say its very grave.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
only 1.5million letters going out but theres 4 million registered diabetics in the uk so no idea whether this applies to us or not
It doesn’t.

It doesn’t mention anything about T1. Always a good idea to keep your will up to date though, I ended nearly 12 years of “getting around to it” today and did it. Just keep on with the “stringent social distancing”, like everyone is being told to :)

They said type 1 is in the serious risk group to self isolate . Nothing about type 2 even though we are high risk. . So we are supposed to self distance. What a joke. I work in a supermarket !!what they need to tell us is what would happen to people with type 2 if they get it as in the actual complications and the high risk association. As i would say its very grave.

Can you tell me where you saw this please? There’s no mention of T1 on today’s government guidance.

Last edited:

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem is the message being given out it far too vague. Whenever I have heard about diabetics I have not heard distinguishing types just diabetics as a group so I would imagine type 2 would also need to self isolate

I am a police officer so every time I go to work I am putting myself at risk and I honestly don’t know based on the guidance if I am meant to be staying home or not. The only thing I can do is wait for next week and see if I get a letter or not.
They have just said the last couple of days type 1 to isolate. Type 2 is still on the self distancing. How can we do that in our jobs when we work with the public . I am in a supermarket in the tills handling cash. We need to know the actual high risk factors that are associated with this virus as in what it would do to us with regards to its health complications. They should include type 2 to self isolate . The letters being sent out are too low to include all type 2 . Maybe they just want more of us out at work regardless . I cant social distance. Maybe best to see our gp and duscuss it. Most of us have other added underlying conditions and if your diabetic then automatically have a flu jab. So they said if people had to have a flu jab they are in the high risk catagory anyway. How high risk are we meant to be !! If we are high risk we should not be social distancing but isolating instead .Feeling vuleranable already like we all are no doubt.