Breakdown of Italy’s figures (edited title)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: urbanracer

Max68

I stumbled across this on another site. Not sure what I am reading as obviously not medically trained but reading between the lines does it suggest a possible link between the flu vaccine and coronavirus with this "virus interference"? or did the conclusion rule that out? Wondering if that's why the Government have told everyone who had the flu jab to stay at home?!?!

This might be an interesting read? “Receiving influenza vaccination may increase the risk of other respiratory viruses, a phenomenon known as virus interference.” (Retrieved from. Vaccine.(2020). Influenza vaccination and respiratory virus interference among Department of Defense personnel during the 2017-2018 influenza season. Vol. 38, 2. Pages 350-354. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X19313647?via%3Dihub).

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wondering if that's why the Government have told everyone who had the flu jab to stay at home?!?!
The flu jab is offered to those more at risk from viruses so it was just a quick way to identify that group. As it turned out, rather a confusing way.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There was something in that video that seems to answer a question asked on this forum time and time again which type of diabetes is the most at risk the answer seems to be T2.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stumbled across this on another site. Not sure what I am reading as obviously not medically trained but reading between the lines does it suggest a possible link between the flu vaccine and coronavirus with this "virus interference"? or did the conclusion rule that out? Wondering if that's why the Government have told everyone who had the flu jab to stay at home?!?!

This might be an interesting read? “Receiving influenza vaccination may increase the risk of other respiratory viruses, a phenomenon known as virus interference.” (Retrieved from. Vaccine.(2020). Influenza vaccination and respiratory virus interference among Department of Defense personnel during the 2017-2018 influenza season. Vol. 38, 2. Pages 350-354. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X19313647?via%3Dihub).

An N=1 but my aged mother (now deceased) used to live in a wardened flat.
Every year the docs came round to give all the residents their jab.. not having one was frowned upon so they all complied.
Every year without fail she was ill for about 6 weeks after the jab... as were many of the other residents... so...

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
There was something in that video that seems to answer a question asked on this forum time and time again which type of diabetes is the most at risk the answer seems to be T2.

I noticed that too. Don't think he mentioned T1 did he? It seems strange that a poorly controlled T2 might have a worse immune response than me as a T1.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Max68

Is that controlled, uncontrolled or does it not matter? Same with BP and Cholesterol?!

M

Member496333

Vaccinations aren't really my thing. I'm not an anti-vaxer or anything like that. If people choose to have them then that's their business, but flu-jabs aren't even on my radar. I'll keep an open mind re: COVID-19 though :nailbiting::nurse:

M

Member496333

Is that controlled, uncontrolled or does it not matter? Same with BP and Cholesterol?!

Hyperinsulinemia and metabolic syndrome seem to be the key risks. Perhaps even largely independent of anything else related to diabetes (T2).

Oil Drum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect to do with the way the data is gathered it could be T1 may have more other underlying heath conditions that are not picked up in the stats.

Max68

The other thing about Italy, might have been mentioned but I missed it, is that whole families live together. A wonderful thing in many ways, but will undoubtedly have contributed to the case numbers. In the early days it was said the younger generation were ignoring the virus as a problem so were out jollying then taking the virus home to loved ones. The worry for the UK is we may well be following the same trajectory but we don't have generations of families living under the same roof the way Italy does, which in many ways is far more concerning. We have the same percentage of blaze youngsters though.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
And they may be in for a rude awakening some have mild symptoms others have frankly horrific symptom many who think they may have an easy time of it are going to wish they had more sense. Bye the way a woman in New Jersey 54 and no known health problems has died along with her 73 year old mother and two of her siblings.
People seem to be concentrating of things like age and pre-existing medical conditions, but remember that the amount of exposure to the virus is a major factor. It is the high 'dosage' of virus that happens to medical staff which is the main cause of deaths and worse symptoms for them- since they are generally younger and have fewer medical conditions that for example the other average patients in Wuhan or in Northern Italy.

This makes it all the more important that front-line NHS staff get the quality and quantity of PPE that they need and that they get tested as soon as they show any symptoms.

My neighbour told us that his daughter has had Covid-19. Her partner works for NHS, got ill went home and phoned 111. He was told it was probably not Covid-19 and that he didn't qualify for a test and should go back to work.
He went back to work and 3 days later had much worse symptoms and eventually a test confirming it was Covid-19. By which time he'd infected our neighbour's daughter and possibly several of his patients.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The other thing about Italy, might have been mentioned but I missed it, is that whole families live together. A wonderful thing in many ways, but will undoubtedly have contributed to the case numbers. In the early days it was said the younger generation were ignoring the virus as a problem so were out jollying then taking the virus home to loved ones. The worry for the UK is we may well be following the same trajectory but we don't have generations of families living under the same roof the way Italy does, which in many ways is far more concerning. We have the same percentage of blaze youngsters though.

This is true but don't forget that according to the office of statistics In 2018, one in four young adults (3.4 million) aged 20 to 34 years were living with their parents.

Oil Drum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking at Italian numbers as a predictive of possible path of the virus in the UK --- deaths per day have increase and probably will continue to increase as they lag behind the number of new cases but the number of new cases per day appears to have started to level out, This is still a truly huge number per day but a good sign.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm guessing that also there will be lots of kissing as greeting and farewells.

Maybe the famed British reserve is saving lives too?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm guessing that also there will be lots of kissing as greeting and farewells.

Maybe the famed British reserve is saving lives too?

I think the kissing and hugging is more a thing of the past now along with shaking hands

lindisfel

Expert
None of us can see the future. None of us knows what's going to happen.
I did not say I was some kind of prophet.

It is blindingly obvious that if we dont stop this plague by extreme measures we shall see the death toll continue to rise.
The uk are behind the curve and many are not treating this seriously enough.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
It's in the video above posted by ianf0ster. See 1minute 50s in.
He is in contact with a lot of American doctors.
We are free to believe what we like, I have fairies at the bottom of my garden. :)

Trump didn't believe Coronavirus was happening, now he keeps blaming the Chinese. That is sure to get him out of a big hole, I dont think.
D.