Corona virus isolation

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They have just said the last couple of days type 1 to isolate. Type 2 is still on the self distancing. How can we do that in our jobs when we work with the public . I am in a supermarket in the tills handling cash. We need to know the actual high risk factors that are associated with this virus as in what it would do to us with regards to its health complications. They should include type 2 to self isolate . The letters being sent out are too low to include all type 2 . Maybe they just want more of us out at work regardless . I cant social distance. Maybe best to see our gp and duscuss it. Most of us have other added underlying conditions and if your diabetic then automatically have a flu jab. So they said if people had to have a flu jab they are in the high risk catagory anyway. How high risk are we meant to be !! If we are high risk we should not be social distancing but isolating instead .Feeling vuleranable already like we all are no doubt.

Not that I've heard. They advised anybody who required a flu jab to apply social distancing but nothing else.

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They have just said the last couple of days type 1 to isolate. Type 2 is still on the self distancing.

The Extremely Vulnerable group (the approx 1.5 million) who today have been asked to shield for 12 weeks are defined very clearly here - the official government source of info:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

Diabetics (T1 or T2) ARE NOT INCLUDED.

(Though it is obviously better if you can - for yourself, but it also removes you as a potential transmitter to society).

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It doesn’t.

It doesn’t mention anything about T1. Always a good idea to keep your will up to date though, I ended nearly 12 years of “getting around to it” today and did it. Just keep on with the “stringent social distancing”, like everyone is being told to :)

Can you tell me where you saw this please? There’s no mention of T1 on today’s government guidance.
They said it over the weekend on bbc news. But i am looking now to find it. I just dont know anymore. This is making feel ill anyway.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
They said it over the weekend on bbc news. But i am looking now to find it. I just dont know anymore. This is making feel ill anyway.
Thanks for getting back to me on that - I appreciate it. As a T1 key worker I’ve been checking the guidelines on the BBC and UK & Welsh government sites regularly and have seen literally no mention of T1s having to totally isolate - just wanted to make very sure I hadn’t missed anything I needed to know.

Please try not to worry yourself into a state of illness - do you have an interest or hobby (or a favourite film) you could lose yourself in for a few hours? We need to take care of mental as well as physical health during difficult times x

johen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am TOTALLY confused about what I am meant to be doing. I am tearful at the best of times, have kept 6 foot from my hubby for the past 10 days - this latest update is so contrary and THERE IS NO ONE TO ASK FOR CLARIFICATION :(:(:(:(
@LooperCat The gov.uk site said the other day that everyone who normally gets a flu jab should "stay home" Are they now saying we shouldnt worry?

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The people on the list are the one's who will most likely die if they catch coronavirus, I'm guessing type 1s and badly controlled type 2s have a better chance of survival, it's like everything in life, where do you draw the line ?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I am TOTALLY confused about what I am meant to be doing. I am tearful at the best of times, have kept 6 foot from my hubby for the past 10 days - this latest update is so contrary and THERE IS NO ONE TO ASK FOR CLARIFICATION :(:(:(:(
@LooperCat The gov.uk site said the other day that everyone who normally gets a flu jab should "stay home" Are they now saying we shouldnt worry?

This is the official UK government guidance, updated today:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

Unless in the highest risk group, we (as diabetics of any type) are “strongly advised” to practice “stringent social distancing”:

“What is social distancing?
Social distancing measures are steps you can take to reduce social interaction between people. This will help reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19).

They are to:

1. Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature and/or new and continuous cough
  2. Avoid non-essential use of public transport when possible
  3. Work from home, where possible. Your employer should support you to do this. Please refer to employer guidance for more information
  4. Avoid large and small gatherings in public spaces, noting that pubs, restaurants, leisure centres and similar venues are currently shut as infections spread easily in closed spaces where people gather together.
  5. Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media
  6. Use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services
Everyone should be trying to follow these measures as much as is practicable.

We strongly advise you to follow the above measures as much as you can and to significantly limit your face-to-face interaction with friends and family if possible, particularly if you:

• are over 70
  • have an underlying health condition
  • are pregnant
This advice is likely to be in place for some weeks.”

Reactions: Keesha and johen

johen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The people on the list are the one's who will most likely die if they catch coronavirus, I'm guessing type 1s and badly controlled type 2s have a better chance of survival, it's like everything in life, where do you draw the line ?

I agree @philchap1 But putting us on the list last week and making us worry then suddenly discluding us from the list is too confusing. Why? Are we suddenly not high risk or are they too many on the very high risk so theyve decided to drop a few numbers as they cannot cope? So do I worry or not?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

the entire country is supposed to be staying at home, with only necessary trips out for supplies, and work (if unable to work from home. They are calling it social distancing.

I encourage everyone to carefully read the corona virus pages on the www.gov.uk website.
The most recent, up to date information is there.
All the media discussion is simply expanding and discussing this, and they often ‘embroider’ things.
Stick with the gov.uk info - it is straight from the horses mouth.

johen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@LooperCat So the advice issued 2 days ago still stands? Is the directive today in addition or does it replace? Sorry - things like this usually go into my brain but I am a bit all over at the moment!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@LooperCat So the advice issued 2 days ago still stands? Is the directive today in addition or does it replace? Sorry - things like this usually go into my brain but I am a bit all over at the moment!
The advice for diabetics hasn’t changed. It’s been social distancing from the start.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ETtZLIgXsAIfVBF.png

We're not on that list, so we should continue to socially distance ourselves and as I suggested elsewhere you could and perhaps should take some comfort we're not vulnerable enough to be included....

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree @philchap1 But putting us on the list last week and making us worry then suddenly discluding us from the list is too confusing. Why? Are we suddenly not high risk or are they too many on the very high risk so theyve decided to drop a few numbers as they cannot cope? So do I worry or not?
It would be good to know what percentage of the poor people who have sadly died had diabetes and how many were type1 and how many were type 2, I don't think they know enough about this virus as it seems to be killing all age groups, and some have no underlying conditions, it could be mutating as it spreads, stay as safe as you possibly can.

Tyw94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a type 1 also and was also concerned whether I should be working as I'm a postman. I stumbled upon this on the governments website....

Attachments

• 20200322_192111.jpg
    20200322_192111.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 368
  • 20200322_192057.jpg
    20200322_192057.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 326
Reactions: philchap1

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 1 also and was also concerned whether I should be working as I'm a postman. I stumbled upon this on the governments website....

The sorting office is the Achilles heel for you there, can you ask your union rep for advice regarding social distancing and the illness?

Tyw94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Unfortunately our union rep is useless but going to speak to the manager tomorrow to suggest I take a period of leave and discuss terms etc see what happens as like you said the sorting office will be a haven for the virus.

Seaquest

I would be more concerned if I was a type 2.Personal experiences of knowing both types and being a type 1 myself have made me come to that conclusion.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Unfortunately our union rep is useless but going to speak to the manager tomorrow to suggest I take a period of leave and discuss terms etc see what happens as like you said the sorting office will be a haven for the virus.
Where are you based? My husband is South Wales equality rep for your union, as well as covering H&S. He’d be happy to help advise. PM me and I can give him your details x

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would be more concerned if I was a type 2.Personal experiences of knowing both types and being a type 1 myself have made me come to that conclusion.
On what evidence is your theory based ? Type 1 is an autoimmune disease so we are most at risk.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
On what evidence is your theory based ? Type 1 is an autoimmune disease so we are most at risk.
In the general population, away from the forum, type twos tend to be older and have much higher blood glucose levels, co-morbidities and complications than T1s. People here aren’t really a representative sample of the t2 population. Yes, T1 is autoimmune, but that doesn’t make our immune systems weak per se - just a bit misguided. Unless you have multiple autoimmune issues, it’s thought we’re not at greater risk of actually contracting the virus. The main risk for us is runaway hyperglycaemia and the risk of DKA. That’s why we’re not on the “highly vulnerable” list. If we keep on top of our levels with insulin it shouldn’t be any more dangerous for us than someone with a pancreas.

Reactions: Natt and philchap1