Corona virus isolation

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In the general population, away from the forum, type twos tend to be older and have much higher blood glucose levels, co-morbidities and complications than T1s. People here aren’t really a representative sample of the t2 population. Yes, T1 is autoimmune, but that doesn’t make our immune systems weak per se - just a bit misguided. Unless you have multiple autoimmune issues, it’s thought we’re not at greater risk of actually contracting the virus. The main risk for us is runaway hyperglycaemia and the risk of DKA. That’s why we’re not on the “highly vulnerable” list. If we keep on top of our levels with insulin it shouldn’t be any more dangerous for us than someone with a pancreas.
That's interesting thank you.

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the general population, away from the forum, type twos tend to be older and have much higher blood glucose levels, co-morbidities and complications than T1s. People here aren’t really a representative sample of the t2 population. Yes, T1 is autoimmune, but that doesn’t make our immune systems weak per se - just a bit misguided. Unless you have multiple autoimmune issues, it’s thought we’re not at greater risk of actually contracting the virus. The main risk for us is runaway hyperglycaemia and the risk of DKA. That’s why we’re not on the “highly vulnerable” list. If we keep on top of our levels with insulin it shouldn’t be any more dangerous for us than someone with a pancreas.

Well put ma'am and nail bang on head with what you wrote there.

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not that I've heard. They advised anybody who required a flu jab to apply social distancing but nothing else.
Hi theyve said diabetics to significantly self distance. Thats as good as not going out and isolating if its significant enough to. Says that on bbc news this morning. I am type 2.
Theres nothing we can do to totally protect ourselves if we work closely with the public as i do.

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately our union rep is useless but going to speak to the manager tomorrow to suggest I take a period of leave and discuss terms etc see what happens as like you said the sorting office will be a haven for the virus.
Yes do it as i have now. The company i work for had a briefing prior to discussing it with employees and in turn with us . I have now taken 2 weeks holiday from the following year to help me with actually isolating myself. I would rather lose holiday than be risking it at the work place. But i will be re- assessed of the situation before returning, in case i need to take any more holiday hours off work .
Once the holiday hours are used up i just hope by then type 1 and 2 are already excluded from working and allowed to self isolate while this is spreading. Ask your employer. You do have options from your employer about ways to help you from what i was told . I just wish we could self isolate period.

Danmiluk

The I'm about give is information from the government website. For now it is 12weeks social distancing This may change.
As diabetics we are classed as vurernable people. There is no distinction between any types 1 or 2.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

The government is giving employers help with the cost of your salary up to 80% (furloughed workers section) which we are in this category. You shouldn't have to use up your annual leave to keep yourselves safe and well.

Ross101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well we are going into full lockdown within the next 24 hours (I imagine announces today) so it will take a lot of the decision out of our hands

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well we are going into full lockdown within the next 24 hours (I imagine announces today) so it will take a lot of the decision out of our hands

Hi,

Do you have a source for this information please?

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Do you have a source for this information please?

The Ministry of Defence have been told to be on standby for complete UK lockdown as of Monday evening at 6pm... No one is to leave their homes unless you work in Front Line Retail or the NHS...

I heard this directly from my neighbour Trigger who is best friends with a guy called Boycey. Boycey knows a guy named Del who drinks down the pub with his uncle Albert. Albert was in the Navy during the war so knows his stuff.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I agree. People aren't listening to the advice but I think it will be towards the end of the week.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Ministry of Defence have been told to be on standby for complete UK lockdown as of Monday evening at 6pm... No one is to leave their homes unless you work in Front Line Retail or the NHS...

I heard this directly from my neighbour Trigger who is best friends with a guy called Boycey. Boycey knows a guy named Del who drinks down the pub with his uncle Albert. Albert was in the Navy during the war so knows his stuff.

I vote for putting Rodders in charge :p

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Bearing in mind Uncle Arthur died in 1999, I might be waiting for some official stuff on all this.

I don't think Uncle Arthur died of COVID, so that's good news. :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Luvvly jubbly. x

Tyw94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A little update.
After going in and speaking to my manager today he said I could self isolate myself without the government saying I had to but would have to take my holiday/sick pay.
If I was to get a doctors note I would be on full pay.
So I did the e consultation for my local doctors surgery and asked whether I should or shouldn't be isolating as I am a type 1 diabetic, he promptly replied saying as I am in a high risk group I should self isolate for 12 weeks as the government have outlined and gave me a doctors note. Peace of mind for me.

Seaquest

How effective is self isolation,served by a shop server today they seemed to have a cold?....you tell me....

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How effective is self isolation,served by a shop server today they seemed to have a cold?....you tell me....
If you were self isolating why were you in a shop?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I agree with Mr Pot. If you are self isolating then you don't leave your house, and you ask others (friends, family or delivery services) to bring necessities to you - but you don't get within 2 m of them, so they leave everything outside your front door.

lindisfel

Expert
I agree with Mr Pot. If you are self isolating then you don't leave your house, and you ask others (friends, family or delivery services) to bring necessities to you - but you don't get within 2 m of them, so they leave everything outside your front door.

Expert today, I think she was on world service, reckons the shopping can be contaminated.
She was advising what surfaces of shopping carried virus, even what shoppers should do when they came home. Shopping needs dealing with carefully. Washing hands, putting all ones clothes in washer and having a shower to get all virus off ones body. If one uses supermarket trolley disinfect handle etc.

The sooner lock down comes the better.

D.

Seaquest

To get food etc,self isolating is an unobtainable fantasy,limit contact and no handshakes etc is my aim.level being realistic at this present time.Not everyone has the option of having items delivered to their front door if they happen to have a front door that is.

Last edited:

Seaquest

These so called self isolators I mean they might be in a house full of family or multiple occupation are you going to monitor everyone in the property.You may as well be sealed in a box already,I take my chances with sensible precautions.