Type 1 Corona virus & working in a hospital clinic.

Sunshine2297

Hi there everyone.
I am aware there is news coming anytime for people with underlying conditions and further adduce with the coronavirus. However, I am finding it so difficult to work out what's right to do for myself and for others safety!

I'm a type one diabetic, working in a chemo day unit in a hospital! My role is to greet patients, check observations, provide food and drinks, restock etc. So predominantly is close contact with the patients, who themselves are immuno compromised!

I phoned my diabetes team & GP, they said it is for me to self assess, to speak with my manager. My manager I think is quite worried about too many staff having to go off.. quite a stressful time, she's told me that we are lower risk than the wards..

Should I be going to work? I'm trying to be as careful as I can washing hands, wearing gloves , the usual! But you can't avoid being so close to people.

Thank you in advance !

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
What do you call 'close' ?

1 metre is approximately an arms length (2 metres would be better) - can you perform your role at that distance or are you getting 'up close and personal' ?

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there everyone.
I am aware there is news coming anytime for people with underlying conditions and further adduce with the coronavirus. However, I am finding it so difficult to work out what's right to do for myself and for others safety!

I'm a type one diabetic, working in a chemo day unit in a hospital! My role is to greet patients, check observations, provide food and drinks, restock etc. So predominantly is close contact with the patients, who themselves are immuno compromised!

I phoned my diabetes team & GP, they said it is for me to self assess, to speak with my manager. My manager I think is quite worried about too many staff having to go off.. quite a stressful time, she's told me that we are lower risk than the wards..

Should I be going to work? I'm trying to be as careful as I can washing hands, wearing gloves , the usual! But you can't avoid being so close to people.

Thank you in advance !

Hi,

Firstly, I think what you do is a valuable job.
A familiar friendly face to patients who besides the concern of covid19 already will be bewildered & suffering anxiety regarding diagnosis & treatment?
Your department will have assessed the risks & not only have a protocol in place to protect patients. But staff too..

Your age on your profile suggests you are in your early 20s? Do you have any other underlying conditions such as respitory..
Are you currently with any "seasonal" cold or flu symtoms which could also give cause for concern with patients?

Everybody is at risk of the virus at the end of the day.. Some are in more danger from complications from it affecting a pre-exsisting condition.

It's your call at the end of the day..

bigvern22

I'm in the same dilemma
I work in a busy ophthalmic dept as a practitioner
I see patients on a 1-1 basis
In 48 Yr old type 1 with hypertension
I also have charcot feet and currently off with a foot ulcer and been on antibiotics for a month
Been on antibiotics on and off for 3 years (longest 6 months I. V at home,)
Not sure what to do

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in the same dilemma
I work in a busy ophthalmic dept as a practitioner
I see patients on a 1-1 basis
In 48 Yr old type 1 with hypertension
I also have charcot feet and currently off with a foot ulcer and been on antibiotics for a month
Been on antibiotics on and off for 3 years (longest 6 months I. V at home,)
Not sure what to do

Hello there. You seem to be going through the mill at the moment?

When are you due back to work? I'm just wondering if things will be clearer by than? Much seems to be changing on an almost daily basis.

bigvern22

I probably wasn't. Not spoke to my manager yet might be worrying over nothing.
Not sure with strict social distancing able to do my role may ask if there is any sesk work

Danmiluk

Hi there everyone.

Thank you in advance !

This is not new. This stated last Tuesday everyone that has an underlying health condition(ie gets a flu jab every year because of a medical reason).
Your manger should be worried cause she must know that you should be there following governments advice.
I'm really disappointed hearing that your diabetes team & gp are saying this if you phoned them after Tuesday's announcement that social distancing 12 weeks.

You guys should be following the social distancing rules.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

If you can't then I would as your manager to provide ppe. (ie mask gloves and hand sanitizer) and practice the 2 meter rule. If you can't then a mask is a definite.
1. To protect yourself.
2. To protect your patients.

Everyone has the same chance of catching it or spreading this nasty virus.
People with low (you) or next to immune system (Your patients) may catch it but will be more ill than a healthy person.
Take care.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband is in a similar dilemma - he has a number of issues asthma, Afib, Parkinsonism, major heart surgery 12 yeas ago but is self employed. He works on a farm 1.5 days per week so most of his contact is with cattle but he does spend some time with the farmer and in the farmhouse for lunch and coffee breaks and does gardening, for customers who still want him to, 1-2 days a week.