Lock down what does that mean for diabetics

steveo4

In view of Boris Johnson's latest announcement what did that mean for diabetics. Do we still distance ourselves like we're currently doing or do we self isolate now? He never made it clear what to do.

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same as everyone, social distancing/ stay at home except for grocery shopping and medicines and a bit of fresh air once a day

Reactions: Medusa41

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s clear as day. Stay at home. Unless you absolutely have to go to work because your job is important and you cannot work at home.

jane1950

They are going to enforce it, but how, how will they know if you take a walk down the road in the Morning, and then take another walk later in the afternoon, or are the police or army going to be used in certain places

Reactions: Medusa41

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are going to enforce it, but how, how will they know if you take a walk down the road in the Morning, and then take another walk later in the afternoon, or are the police or army going to be used in certain places

To be honest I expect they’ll be policing the gatherings more than anything.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Regarding my animal's welfare, that is exactly what I will need to do. Self distancing is easy in the rural area I reside.

But regarding policing that we do our duty to this country..? Take the weight of key services, & "police" ourselves..

The instructions are clear regarding the damage limitation.

I never thought I would agree with anything that came out of Boris's mouth.

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also it may change later and move on to having an authorisation form like in France... Hopefully people in the U.K will follow the rules a bit better than my country people (easy) :angelic:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Here in New Zealand we're all on lockdown, except for essential services. We're still allowed to go for walks, but must keep away from others.
The full lockdown starts tomorrow, because people are being allowed time to get back to their homes if they are visiting other parts of the country.

Looks pretty much the same as yours, though I'm not sure whether your schools are open? (Ours are shut.)

But our lockdown is for 4 weeks initially, not 3, as it'll take at least 2 weeks for the figures to start to be affected.... I honestly doubt that 3 weeks will be enough for the UK....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here we go guys. The latest from the horse's mouth.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All that says is about social distancing not about self isolating when you have to go to work or can't work from home

Unless you fall into one of the groups listed below (in which case you will have been, or will shortly be contacted), it is the social distancing rules that need to be followed, unless you have any symptoms, in which case you should self-isolate:
  • people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

Garyrob

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I work in a supermarket, how am I supposed to implement Social Distancing

Reactions: dmckatana

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All that says is about social distancing not about self isolating when you have to go to work or can't work from home

it tells you exactly what to do.

Only go out if you have to.
Only go to work if you cannot work from home.

here is a cut and paste from that page. The PM just gave a little more specific detail (groups no bigger than 2 ppl, exercise once a day, etc). I expect the new measures will be added to the page within the next few hours.

What is social distancing?
Social distancing measures are steps you can take to reduce social interaction between people. This will help reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19).

They are to:

1. Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature and/or new and continuous cough
  2. Avoid non-essential use of public transport when possible
  3. Work from home, where possible. Your employer should support you to do this. Please refer to employer guidance for more information
  4. Avoid large and small gatherings in public spaces, noting that pubs, restaurants, leisure centres and similar venues are currently shut as infections spread easily in closed spaces where people gather together.
  5. Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media
  6. Use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services

steveo4

I have a cough but not a dry one is more a tickly one and feel blocked up most of the day but then clears up by the afternoon.
Unless you fall into one of the groups listed below (in which case you will have been, or will shortly be contacted), it is the social distancing rules that need to be followed, unless you have any symptoms, in which case you should self-isolate:
  • people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In view of Boris Johnson's latest announcement what did that mean for diabetics. Do we still distance ourselves like we're currently doing or do we self isolate now? He never made it clear what to do.

Hi Steve, it's pretty obvious now there is NO special arrangements for people with diabetes same as many others with other health conditions.Follow the advice/instructions given. x