Statin tablets ?

captaindave

My DN advised me very recently that i should start taking one Statin tablet per day.

My Chloresterol levels have always been good throughout my life, and indeed the most recent one was 3.5.

But she said they recommend patients of my age ( 59 ) to take them to lessen risk of stroke/heart attack in years to come.

She said there are possible side effects ( muscle cramps ) - I asked which muscles, and she said calfs...

Any advice / opinions please ?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would only consider statins if they were prescribed by a cardiologist, but that's just me.

JRT

Hi,for many years I was on a high dose of stains. During that time I had quite painful leg cramps which stopped when I stopped the stains! A different GP put me on a lower dose of a different brand. A few months in the pains returned! A few years ago I was travelling to USA and was concerned for insurance if was supposed to be taking them and wasnt. Discussed with GP and prescribed Ezetimibe which works like a statin but isn't. I have a feeling it's more expensive!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My DN advised me very recently that i should start taking one Statin tablet per day.

My Chloresterol levels have always been good throughout my life, and indeed the most recent one was 3.5.

But she said they recommend patients of my age ( 59 ) to take them to lessen risk of stroke/heart attack in years to come.

She said there are possible side effects ( muscle cramps ) - I asked which muscles, and she said calfs...

Ask your doc if the practise gets any financial benefit from getting you onto statins..

Reactions: Member496333

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You have a level of 3.5 and she wants you on statins!!! Unbelievable Please do some research before following this advice. At the very very least get a second opinion. I’ve never heard of it under 4 as a just in case and that is already highly questionable.

captaindave

Cheers for the feedback All !

I will most certainly get at least a second opinion from my Doctor.

I was also shocked as my chloresterol has always been good ( no idea why, just lucky i guess ) I remember when i worked at a large company, they tested everyone,and i was in the lowest 5 %..

PeterHud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's the norm to advise all diabetics take statins. 3.5 is ****** good

Yes as others have said do homework first . There are side effects plus it can raise blood sugars.

I refused to take them.

post edited by moderator for language usage

Last edited by a moderator:

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally agree with everything said so far. With you showing a level of 3.5, the nurse must be crazy. They should be congratulating you with a level that low.

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance

I was told that as I was over forty and type one she advised a statin of which I just shrugged and added it to the collection, personally I have never had any problems with them but this is just my experience and I know nothing of what a statin is

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It bothers me that no one ever seems to mention that the white matter of brains is cholesterol.
When I took Atorvastatin my memory was affected. It took some years of effort to remember or rememorise quite a large amount. Luckily I had written it down.

Reactions: slikwipman
M

Member496333

Nothing printable on a family forum. Except maybe sack the DN. Unbelievable that this still goes on.

Being more constructive, my advice is to ask for a CAC scan (coronary arterial calcification) to assess any actual disease. Watch her eyes glaze over, then drop the mic as you leave the room.

EDIT: And the evidence that lower is always better is tenuous at best. To be honest with a level of 3.5 I'd be mainlining eggs yolks and putting lard in my coffee :shifty:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JMK1954

Montu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I currently take a fenofibrate 160mg and a atorvastatin 10 mg.

I am 33. Think atorvastatin was added in the last 4 or 5 years. I didn't know anything about it so took it. I was around 350 lbs and 40 BMI.

My triglycerides do run high. Rarely below 300mg. I am trying to turn this around in the last 2 months.

Sugars are under control and I am down 40 lbs and 30 to go for me 20% body weight in 3 month reduction.

I was prescribed probably more for the intended purpose. More i read about it, the more i would like to get off it.

Screwed up part is last blood work.
LDL 54mg
HDL 30mg
TG 345mg

LDL feels too low but those TG though. Feel like a walking heart attack but just trying to take things one step at a time.