Diabetes and coronavirus

JenDig89

Hi all, i have a tricky situation that I am trying to deal with and wanted to get some thoughts from fellow diabetics! Me and hubby are both GPs, I am probably going to be able to work from home from next week due to my diabetes, but hubby is fit and well and will be at high risk of getting coronavirus in his surgery.

My dilemma is that he and my family have suggested that I move out of our house and in with other family members because if and when hubby gets it I am likely to get it too, with the extra risks that diabetes poses.

Absolutely don't want to do this for obvious reasons but can also see why they are worried. I would be really grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks and keep safe x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Oh my, it’s difficult. I suppose my response has to be taken with the recognition that I have less knowledge than you as I’m not a doctor.
If it were me, the first thing that I’d consider is whether there was any likelihood that I’d already come into contact with Covid19 and could therefore carry it to the rest of my family.
I’d also look at the possibility of living separately in the same home: how many bathrooms, a microwave that could be put in a room separate from the kitchen, how many was to access exits and entrances, ways to create separate living quarters without needing to have shared passageways or stairways.
I know very few dwellings where this is possible.
I’ve read of a doctor who moved into a caravan to avoid infecting his family.
There’s talk of giving empty hotel rooms to NHS staff.
Is there any way your husband could also work from home? I recently ‘saw’ the Diabetes Consultant in the clinic I attend by phone, but admittedly he was still required to do a ward round.
However you solve it, I hope you both stay well, and thank you for all you do for others!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, i have a tricky situation that I am trying to deal with and wanted to get some thoughts from fellow diabetics! Me and hubby are both GPs, I am probably going to be able to work from home from next week due to my diabetes, but hubby is fit and well and will be at high risk of getting coronavirus in his surgery.

My dilemma is that he and my family have suggested that I move out of our house and in with other family members because if and when hubby gets it I am likely to get it too, with the extra risks that diabetes poses.

Absolutely don't want to do this for obvious reasons but can also see why they are worried. I would be really grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks and keep safe x

Hi,

The choice is yours & your husband's at the end of the day..

If it was I? Take a piece of paper with a line down the center & write down the risks for & against staying. The practical. Not the emotional..

I've made a couple of tough calls in the past. & working out the logic regarding the information one has is sometimes the best you can do..

Best wishes.

MollieB

will be at high risk of getting coronavirus in his surgery
I think it would be smart, particularly since he is a GP (I'm assuming GP means general practitioner there the same as it does in the states). If he worked in specialty, I think it would be less of a concern. In the states, depending on the specialty, people are pretty good about canceling if they are sick so they don't spread it. The GP is who go to if your ARE sick.
Without knowing more about his practice, I am going to guess that he may become very busy in the coming future? Again, depending on the practice, this is likely to be a very emotionally and physically draining time, potentially making him more susceptible.

For the most part, other than work, I have not gone out much. I went to the grocery store last week and, for the first time, I was "afraid". The store was out of things to wipe the cart down and it wasn't keeping people separated very well in the check out, the cashier wasn't wearing gloves and they didn't clean anything between people. (I did go to another grocery store and TOTALLY different experience, they cleaned everything between each person checking out, they kept distance, there were clerks, cleaning the carts with some solution before you took one) Anyway, I couldn't get out of the first grocery store fast enough. All I
could think of was, I would be crushed if I inadvertently brought germs to my parents or other people I have may have "contact" with.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess your husband may feel the same way. It's stressful worrying about bringing home this infection to someone vulnerable. I read something on the American Diabetes Association website, it said it isn't just about having a higher risk for catching this virus (or other viral infections). If your diabetes is well controlled and you don't have other complications, you may not have an increase risk factor however, if you DO get it, the outcomes can be so much more severe (than the general population).

This is the one thing that keeps running through my head through all this:

Back when I was in elementary school and up, AIDS was a big focus. One of the things they taught that has always stuck in my head was: if you had unprotected sex with someone, you weren't just sleeping with that single person but were also sleeping with everybody else they had sex with before you. With the coronavirus, all I can think of is: When you "socialize" with someone, you are not just socializing with that person but are socializing with everyone they have socialized with before you.

There is a family in New Jersey that has been hit particularly hard. The first New Jersey death was a gentleman who work at a harness race track in New Jersey, I believe it is about four miles out of the New York's earliest epicenter. Before he got sick, he was in contact with a friend of his who was a member of a big Italian-American family (whom he was also friends with). That person, person A came into contact with went to a big family gathering on March 3rd. That family consisted of a matriarch who had eleven children and 27 grandchildren. The matriarch and six of her eleven children got the coronavirus. Her oldest daughter died about March 13th, her second child (and oldest son) died March 18th, the mother died a few hours after her son, also on March 18th, another son died March 19th. They had 1 in stable condition and two others in critical condition as of last week. Just the other day, another of her daughters (who had been in quarantine) tested positive along with that daughter's daughter. So, again, it isn't just about who you come into contact with but whom that person has also been in contact with.

Since your husband's job is going to put him at high risk of coming into contact with people with the virus, technically that would mean that you are also at high risk of coming in to "contact" with people with the virus.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: LooperCat

Flowertown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Even though I've got good control, I left the house I share with my boyfriend and moved in with family as he is an RN working directly on wards that have now become COVID-19 wards. I won't lie, it has been hard, I also work in Health Care and have become a little sour to see him and everyone else receive praise for fighting it directly while I'm stuck at home. However, I still know that there are risks and I just keep telling myself I'm safer here and that once this is also over I too can go back and help.

Rachel@49

I also work for the NHS but I am in admin. I have chronic kidney disease as well as diabetes an under active thyroid and mild asthma. Are you staying at home because of diabetes -I only ask because I m not actually sure what to do ? Do I wait for a letter from one of my consultants or just decide to stay home from work myself ?

any advice would be great - this is the first time I’ve posted on here

Last edited: