Lock down what does that mean for diabetics

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It’s pretty unequivocal. If you’re not a key worker, stay at home.

61855DC7-CB12-4BB0-B4DD-84292DA957F5.jpeg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My head is angry and my heart is aching. I have been in a new 5 month relationship and we are so happy together, but now, I won't be seeing him. I know it's for the best and I will abide by it, I know its not the end of the world, but god it hurts.:(:(:(
I have type 1 and he has type 2, no meds.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hospital car park security

So, does the duties involve, a "sweep/patrol" of the car parks & checking validity of cars parked or booking over stayed parking?
The hospital in my area has number plate recognition..

From my understanding it's open air & pretty solitary?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s pretty unequivocal. If you’re not a key worker, stay at home.

View attachment 39649
They’ve changed this and the advice on the office website in the last hour!!!

The tweet now says only travel to work if you can’t work from home

the website wording has also been changed regarding travel to work to say “absolutely cannot be done from home “

Last edited:

Max68

So many questions still. My car packed up today, probably the battery from it sitting on the drive doing nothing, so where do I now get a battery? Don't think Tesco's sell them, and even if they did I couldn't get there anyway without a car!! Could get a taxi but you aren't sitting six foot away from the driver. Not sure if the breakdown people are still working? Are they essential? If so a phone call to them might do, but will they buy me a battery from Halfords who are now closed?! Then do I throw them the keys at safe distance when they arrive and wipe keys down after with anti viral wipes afterwards that I haven't got because they are all sold out everywhere, panic purchased by people who probably will never use them !!

Then there is the chemist to collect my meds, quite a few of them. Meds that is not chemists!! GP hasn't signed them off as yet, obviously has a lot on understandably, but when they do I have no car to pick them up. Maybe that's a good thing as ill people tend to visit chemists!! So I am waiting a week later to hear about possible delivery options from the chemist. Then if I manage to get them delivered will I have to wipe down each of the boxes the meds come in with the wipes I haven't got in case the pharmacist didn't wash his/her hands!!!

Then it's my diet. HBA1C up from 48 to 58 in six months in December. Bad 6 months personally after mum went into care, so fell off the wagon a tad. Too many egg and chips probably, which won't be the case now because I can't find any eggs, especially without a car!! So was being checked again in June, and that will probably now not happen, which is probably a good thing because they have ill people at surgeries and taking HBA1C's will probably be the last of their worries anyway. So probably no check up, but I probably won't have diabetes by then anyway because I will have lost so much weight because I don't have a car to buy any food and the delivery slots are booked until 2022! Even if I did manage to get to the supermarket the panic buyers will have hoarded all the food bar packets of four Yum Yums and Yoghurt!!

Sorry...…. A tad over dramatic probably, although all true, but it does in a light hearted way show the difficulties we face on what to do for the best and how to do it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

My car packed up today, probably the battery from it sitting on the drive doing nothing, so where do I now get a battery?
Not quite first cab off the rank at Google, but the AA in the UK have a battery service 27 / 7.

https://www.theaa.com/car-battery

Also National.

https://www.national.co.uk/batteries

Whether they can supply you a new battery I do not know but they are worth calling.

If I need a new battery quick I will be phoning the RACQ here in Bundaberg.

https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving/products-and-services/batteries/battery-replacement-service

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Not to make light of it, but a jump start charger is a very wise investment

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So many questions still. My car packed up today, probably the battery from it sitting on the drive doing nothing, so where do I now get a battery? Don't think Tesco's sell them, and even if they did I couldn't get there anyway without a car!! Could get a taxi but you aren't sitting six foot away from the driver. Not sure if the breakdown people are still working? Are they essential? If so a phone call to them might do, but will they buy me a battery from Halfords who are now closed?! Then do I throw them the keys at safe distance when they arrive and wipe keys down after with anti viral wipes afterwards that I haven't got because they are all sold out everywhere, panic purchased by people who probably will never use them !!

Then there is the chemist to collect my meds, quite a few of them. Meds that is not chemists!! GP hasn't signed them off as yet, obviously has a lot on understandably, but when they do I have no car to pick them up. Maybe that's a good thing as ill people tend to visit chemists!! So I am waiting a week later to hear about possible delivery options from the chemist. Then if I manage to get them delivered will I have to wipe down each of the boxes the meds come in with the wipes I haven't got in case the pharmacist didn't wash his/her hands!!!

Then it's my diet. HBA1C up from 48 to 58 in six months in December. Bad 6 months personally after mum went into care, so fell off the wagon a tad. Too many egg and chips probably, which won't be the case now because I can't find any eggs, especially without a car!! So was being checked again in June, and that will probably now not happen, which is probably a good thing because they have ill people at surgeries and taking HBA1C's will probably be the last of their worries anyway. So probably no check up, but I probably won't have diabetes by then anyway because I will have lost so much weight because I don't have a car to buy any food and the delivery slots are booked until 2022! Even if I did manage to get to the supermarket the panic buyers will have hoarded all the food bar packets of four Yum Yums and Yoghurt!!

Sorry...…. A tad over dramatic probably, although all true, but it does in a light hearted way show the difficulties we face on what to do for the best and how to do it.

someone, somewhere, will sell you a car battery online and send it by courier. Delivery drivers are ‘key workers’ bless them!

steveo4

Yes it is in the open just checking there are no issues to deal with basically
So, does the duties involve, a "sweep/patrol" of the car parks & checking validity of cars parked or booking over stayed parking?
The hospital in my area has number plate recognition..

From my understanding it's open air & pretty solitary?

Reactions: EllieM

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
They’ve changed this and the advice on the office website in the last hour!!!

The tweet now says only travel to work if you can’t work from home

the website wording has also been changed regarding travel to work to say “absolutely cannot be done from home “
Yeah, I spotted that, and have screenshots of both. My Welsh Assembly Member is the wonderful Leanne Wood, and I sent them to her. She’s trying to find out what that’s all about - we need more clarity.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The discussion about car batteries made me wonder about Mot tests. It is illegal to drive without one and insurance would be invalid. Does that mean test station staff are key workers, or do you stop using your car even for essential journeys when the Mot runs out?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The discussion about car batteries made me wonder about Mot tests. It is illegal to drive without one and insurance would be invalid. Does that mean test station staff are key workers, or do you stop using your car even for essential journeys when the Mot runs out?
Garages can stay open. Here’s the list of retail businesses the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government say are exempt from the prime minister’s order to close down (from the Guardian):

Supermarkets and other food shops
Health shops
Pharmacies, including non-dispensing pharmacies
Petrol stations
Bicycle shops
Home and hardware shops
Laundrettes and dry cleaners
Garages
Car rentals
Pet shops
Corner shops and newsagents
Post offices
Banks

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
All that says is about social distancing not about self isolating when you have to go to work or can't work from home
@steveo4 to isolate means being apart from others, ie alone so if you go to work with other people then you can't isolate as far as I understand you can only distance yourself.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Garages can stay open. Here’s the list of retail businesses the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government say are exempt from the prime minister’s order to close down (from the Guardian):

Supermarkets and other food shops
Health shops
Pharmacies, including non-dispensing pharmacies
Petrol stations
Bicycle shops
Home and hardware shops
Laundrettes and dry cleaners
Garages
Car rentals
Pet shops
Corner shops and newsagents
Post offices
Banks
Useful list @LooperCat Car rentals and bike shops are weird. I wonder if Holland and Barrett is counted as a food shop?