Self isolation for 12 weeks ?????

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Updates to the guidance, we are socially distancing as it stands.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...otect-people-at-highest-risk-from-coronavirus
ETtZLIgXsAIfVBF.png

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Wow, they really don't want to list too many people. I guess I'm (50 years T1) healthier than my 28nyear old son with chronic asthma.

Reactions: dmckatana and kev-w

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You'd be surprised how much work I do for elderly people. They generally want baths ripped out and showers put in.. Kids would have been at school so bookings would have been made but thankfully Iv not got jobs for either till May

I agree on the fact its not social so that's why I'd work. Il just hide away in the bathroom with the door shut

I’m in the middle of getting my bathroom renovated.... I’m crossing my fingers that my workman will come back tomorrow to continue with the job.

Cdean8780

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How can I social distance when working in a hospital. My job Is to clean infected rooms I have managed to get away from doing the corona 1s but this causing stress.

If they put u on a ward as normal domestic these patients are still there. And I cant go near them again causing arguments n stress, defending myself.
Yesterday was told I am able to enter and clean these rooms if patient isnt there as I'm not in high risk. How can that be social distancing yourself away from an infected person the infection is still in the room..I still refused but may today come under more pressure

Lilylala

Asthma is on the list which is strongly advised to strictly socially distance. If others from her work have gone off work because they are at risk, then she has just as much reason to do the same.

alternatively, if she chooses to go to work, then she should not be asking you to look after her child. The government are clearly and frequently asking parents NOT to leave children with the elderly. The risk is too great.

I am afraid that in your situation I would refuse to take your grandson.

Have you seen the pleas from medical workers over the last couple of days? They are begging us to be sensible, to avoid risk of catching the virus, and to avoid exposing high risk groups (such as your MIL) from exposure to the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51991887
Worand

zoo has now closed so my daughter and my grandson are now self isolating which is a big worry off my shoulders.Let's all stay safe.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a 59 yr old T1 - I work as a self-employed Courier. Not sure whether to self-isolate or not.

I am fit and well apart from the T1, and recently Hermes said we no longer have to get signatures, which obviously reduces possible contact a lot - To be honest i work a very very rural area, lots of farms etc,so i dont tend to see many customers anyway and can leave parcels in safe places.

Apparently we are classed as " Key Workers " now !! this dosnt affect me as our youngest is 17 and in 6th form ( well at home now and learning online ) so no child care issues.

I have had Sickness and Accident Insurance for many years ( never claimed ) and contacted them to see if they would cover me for 12 week self-isolation - the answer i got was " they would look to cover me " which is a bit wooly for my liking.

My insurance pay would be a fair wack and cover mortgage/bills etc, but i would still be much better off financially by continuing to work....

Decisions decisions !
Hi Captain Dave, if you see this can you [possibly] advise as to whether parcel deliveries will halt or continue?

Edit, my 'needs' can be delivered so I guess the answers 'Yes for now'

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bristol and Leeds have closed their parks and facilities.

The Museum Gardens in York have been closed, as have the bar walls.

Gutted I could have should have would have done a tip trip earlier but put it off till Friday.

Last edited:

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm hoping it will become clearer next week when these supposed letters are being sent to those considered at risk.The govt keep saying '1.4 million will receive letters' but there are 4 million people with diabetes in the UK I believe so it clearly won't cover everybody? I wonder whether the advice after those letters are sent out will be 'and anyone else discuss with your Doctor', mayhem if that happens!

The detail is on the GOV.UK website. It doesn’t really look as if they’re including diabetics of any type and bring high risk, only ‘vulnerable’ and asked to pay attention to strict social distancing, so unless we have other more serious conditions(transplants, COPD, unstable asthma, blood cancers, or serious autoimmune conditions) you’re not meant to be in the group isolating for 12 weeks..........it’s quite unclear, though and keeps changing.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The detail is on the GOV.UK website. It doesn’t really look as if they’re including diabetics of any type and bring high risk, only ‘vulnerable’ and asked to pay attention to strict social distancing, so unless we have other more serious conditions(transplants, COPD, unstable asthma, blood cancers, or serious autoimmune conditions) you’re not meant to be in the group isolating for 12 weeks..........it’s quite unclear, though and keeps changing.

Hi there, thank you. This post of mine was a few days before that latest govt advice but thanks anyway. x

Reactions: Zilsniggy

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just been told by my work that I have to stay at home and self isolate for Three weeks. Not sure where they Three weeks from but heyhoy life has to go on.

Reactions: kev-w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been told by my work that I have to stay at home and self isolate for Three weeks. Not sure where they Three weeks from but heyhoy life has to go on.

last night, in the PM’s announcement, he stated that the lockdown would continue for 3 weeks, and then be reassessed.

Max68

Not much chance of self isolating if you need food. On Sainsbury's website it says "Due to the huge increase in online orders, we're pausing new registrations for the time being." and of course we aren't on the "vulnerable list". So as diabetics we have gone from "stay home" to if you need food you will have to go to the supermarket and hope with everyone else because there aren't the delivery capabilities. Shot themselves in the foot with takeaways closing down totally.

RReyes

GP's are useless. Won't give me a sick note or anything regardless of the NHS telling me to stay away from work and self isolate for 12 weeks. (I work in a hospital and have 3 hours travels to and from via bus)

I'm guess I'm going to have to go back to work and stare death in the face. I'm practially guaranteed to catch it either from the doctors/nurses from the hospital or on the bus. (or even my colleagues, 4 of them have already been told to self isolate for 2 weeks)

RIP me. What a short life this was :/

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
GP's are useless. Won't give me a sick note or anything regardless of the NHS telling me to stay away from work and self isolate for 12 weeks. (I work in a hospital and have 3 hours travels to and from via bus)

I'm guess I'm going to have to go back to work and stare death in the face. I'm practially guaranteed to catch it either from the doctors/nurses from the hospital or on the bus. (or even my colleagues, 4 of them have already been told to self isolate for 2 weeks)

RIP me. What a short life this was :/
Are you in the highest risk group ? ( not just the middle vulnerable group). Eg cancer, immunosuppressants, cystic fibrosis?? Simply being diabetic of any type isn’t the trigger to go into official isolation unless you have other issues. If not then gp’s aren’t supposed to be signing you off automatically

See my signature for official groups.(3rd cv link)

RReyes

Are you in the highest risk group ? ( not just the middle vulnerable group). Eg cancer, immunosuppressants, cystic fibrosis?? Simply being diabetic of any type isn’t the trigger to go into official isolation unless you have other issues. If not then gp’s aren’t supposed to be signing you off automatically

See my signature for official groups.(3rd cv link)
No, I was told by 111 that I shouldn't go to work because of my situation. Work in a hospital, 3 hour bus travel, family members with vulnerablities and being diabetic. We have no protection at work, can't social distance ourselves either and are not allowed to use our own masks or anything as it may cause "panic".

If it were anywhere other than a hospital I'd be fine with it but I'd say I have more than enough reason to avoid that place.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I was told by 111 that I shouldn't go to work because of my situation. Work in a hospital, 3 hour bus travel, family members with vulnerablities and being diabetic. We have no protection at work, can't social distance ourselves either and are not allowed to use our own masks or anything as it may cause "panic".

If it were anywhere other than a hospital I'd be fine with it but I'd say I have more than enough reason to avoid that place.
I empathise with your situation. You have a tough choice to make. I wouldn’t want to expose myself like that either.

I am just pointing you towards the latest official sources of information- that are widely being misquoted as rules rather than the ideal if you can manage it, even on the bbc and apparently by 111 too.

Ziggyp

Not much chance of self isolating if you need food. On Sainsbury's website it says "Due to the huge increase in online orders, we're pausing new registrations for the time being." and of course we aren't on the "vulnerable list". So as diabetics we have gone from "stay home" to if you need food you will have to go to the supermarket and hope with everyone else because there aren't the delivery capabilities. Shot themselves in the foot with takeaways closing down totally.
I agree this is a problem. Of my four children, my 17 year old is a type 1, and my eldest, who is 22 and lives at home with me, has an autoimmune disorder which puts her at high risk of complications even with normal flu, I'm unsure if her exact illness puts her on the government list of most vulnerable people but her consultant has definitely advised her to isolate herself and not get out of the house at all. It's impossible to get food delivered, as all slots are taken, and she can't register as a new vulnerable customer with Sainsbury. This means we need to get out of the house to get food from the shops, which in turn means that within the house, to protect my daughter we can't be anywhere near her even with no symptoms, as we can't be sure it's safe. Saying 'get food delivered' or 'get friends or relatives to shop for you' sounds fine, but is over-simplified advice, I can't see who I'd send out shopping for my entire family on a regular, long-term basis, a friend could help here or there once or twice, but this is about feeding a family of 6 with coeliac restrictions for possibly 12 weeks. The best way to do this is for us to get out and get the food, but the price to pay within the house, with my daughter having to be alone in another room for those 12 weeks, is high.