COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This brief video shows the effects of sheltering in place...

https://thespinoff.co.nz/wp-content...tVIzBShdFG-Ke7dcFdxFcnbEFmqBz9wvFh-1xONTcFW_U

To all of you who are doing one or more of the following...
  • working from home
  • not going to that [social event]
  • not flying domestically
  • staying home
You are making a huge difference!

-----

Jason Scott Warner wrote an excellent article,
Why We Are Not Doing Enough To Stop the Pandemic (in Simple Math), which was originally published on his Facebook page (at www.facebook.com/jason.scott.warner on March 19 at 6:28 p.m).

Since that time, the article has now been re-posted for ease of sharing here... https://medium.com/@Jason_Scott_War...584703774&_branch_match_id=770355362285613576

Today, he shared the video link posted at the beginning of this post, under his post titled, "This is a very effective visual to share with people who fudge on social distancing."

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's a quote from Jason Warner's article...

After interviewing 5 nurses in Seattle yesterday, I need to paint this picture that they shared with me. I spoke with them personally and will share a more detailed account ASAP: After a few days of admitting the Tsunami of COVID patients, the hospitals can no longer treat everyone so they are forced to make impossibly difficult decisions. The first mitigation protocol shared by nurses to whom I spoke (off the record, all five were not supposed to be talking to me) is as the COVID volume spikes, they are forced to only provide palliative care to those 65 and older. This is because they don’t have enough people, beds, time, or other medical resources so they have to make hard choices based on who is most likely to recover. This is battlefield medical response protocol.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's a quote from Jason Warner's article...

After interviewing 5 nurses in Seattle yesterday, I need to paint this picture that they shared with me. I spoke with them personally and will share a more detailed account ASAP: After a few days of admitting the Tsunami of COVID patients, the hospitals can no longer treat everyone so they are forced to make impossibly difficult decisions. The first mitigation protocol shared by nurses to whom I spoke (off the record, all five were not supposed to be talking to me) is as the COVID volume spikes, they are forced to only provide palliative care to those 65 and older. This is because they don’t have enough people, beds, time, or other medical resources so they have to make hard choices based on who is most likely to recover. This is battlefield medical response protocol.

Exactly what has been reported happening in Italy.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Decisions, decisions. Do I get the flu vaccine this year or not? A couple of facts swaying me against relate to the exacerbation that caused me to end up on oxygen after having both the flu vaccine and a pertussis/diptheria vaccine within 1 month of each other this time last year. Prior to that, I'd been getting regular flu vaccinations without issue for 9 years.

Also a lot of speculation about it possibly making Covid-19 more dangerous, which I really don't need. Then found this link in one of the comments on Dr Kendrick's blog. All in all, my current thinking is that I won't have it. Also have a cardiology review scheduled next week, so will be talking to the doc about whether to stop my ARB.

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m626/rr

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both for those links on the anti-hypertension medications and vaccines. In either case, I would be unsure of what to do in your circumstances. Some decisions are so difficult. After a lot of reading and conversation with my doctor, I'd likely go with what my gut tells me to do.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Italy's deaths are now 6.078 :(
Boots says it's closing it's Opticians and Hearing stores this week.

jane1950

Very little has been said about the particular risks of Coronavirus to PWD.
We often read that the risk of death with Coronavirus is "only" 2%, with critical illness about 10%
But then we read that most of those suffering serious effects have pre-existing conditions.
80% have a pre-existing condition.

In effect, if you have a pre-existing condition then the risk of death is increased to around 10%; risk of critical illness increased to around 40% if you "catch" Coronavirus. The medical term for these increases in morbidity (death rates) is comorbidity.

Medical papers have been written on the prime condition which creates concern and we can read them by searching for Coronavirus Comorbid. Trouble is that COVID 2019 is too new for particular research papers to have been written - however we get a fairly accurate picture by looking at two "older", more researched Coronaviruses, SARS and MERS. These are very similar to COVID, indeed many medical professionals objected to the name COVID, saying that it should be called SARS2 as they are so similar.

We can find out just what those pre-existing conditions are - and which is the prime concern.

It is Diabetes - both T1 & T2

http://grantome.com/grant/NIH/F32-A..._fnGoJI-mnOb_gcQ0k6JbZtaPojB2JYc5NUCo-w67PZH4
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6824443/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6357155/
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/factsheet-health-professionals-coronaviruses
https://asprtracie.hhs.gov/technical-resources/44/coronavirus-sars-mers-2019-ncov/27
I am 69 years old type 1 diabetic, rather uncontrolled quite a bit, and have high blood pressure, which I take medication for,, and high cholesterol, how would I cope if I caught the virus

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 69 years old type 1 diabetic, rather uncontrolled quite a bit, and have high blood pressure, which I take medication for,, and high cholesterol, how would I cope if I caught the virus

I'm pretty sure nobody knows the answer to that. I think the fitter and more well we are at any given time would help any of our chances against COVID, but so many factors are in play to really predict for anyone.

rossh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I think this Doctor is a bit irresponsible posting something like this - I'm sure having a Flu jab saves many more lives... He risks people not having it based on his advice.

Also - I would be a bit cautious taking too much notice of this type of information, unless its released by the WHO. He seems very biased to natural remedies over any medical ones.

Tedrick69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
religious extremism
I think this Doctor is a bit irresponsible posting something like this - I'm sure having a Flu jab saves many more lives... He risks people not having it based on his advice.

Also - I would be a bit cautious taking too much notice of this type of information, unless its released by the WHO. He seems very biased to natural remedies over any medical ones.
I was told by my diabetic clinic nurse (I went last in Feb 2020) to take the flu jab - up to this point, I hadn't taken it - because getting the flu would weaken my immune system and make me more vulnerable to getting Covid and having a real hard time with either both at the same time or one after another.
So I took it. First time in 5 years but I didn't want to take any chances.

Reactions: rossh

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, you're right. He is very biased. And he does promote the sale of nutritional supplements that he believes are helpful to people. I don't know if he's right or wrong. That link was intended for Indy51 only. Her circumstances are very unique. She's very knowledgeable and i assume she will also read/survey all the referenced material too.

Reactions: Indy51 and rossh

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone else had a generic government text saying to stay at home? I have but none of my family has had one yet.

Edit: I am asking as I am wondering if it is actually for my aunt as her surgery have my phone numbers in their records. Presumably it would have her name if it was meant for her. Although she is elderly with several conditions I didn't think she would be included in the 1.5 million to be 'shielded'.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone else had a generic government text saying to stay at home? I have but none of my family has had one yet.

No, nothing here, but not really expecting one unless they know something about our medical conditions that we don't!!