Entering the UK, regarding COVID-19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A friends stepson returned from Thailand yesterday via Dubai and I was told they had infa red there, but no test was done on arrival in the UK. I haven't been abroad in over 20 years, but to me, this seems unacceptable.
So, what do others think, especially now as we are in a lock down !

TIA

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Robin,

Hope yer well & safe.

Has the stepson had any other instructions like, straight home, isolate keep an eye for any developing symptoms?

Reactions: EllieM

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Talking head on the news last night said that isolation for 2 weeks after arriving in the country is now redundant, because COVID-19 is now loose in the UK, and passing to new people during the early symptomless stage.

Therefore I doubt that taking temperature of incomers at the airport will achieve much now.

Anyone, whether newly arrived in the country or not is now subject to the Isolate for 7 Days at onset of symptoms, so even if the person getting off the plane is experiencing symptoms, all that should happen is that they go home and shut the door for 7 days. Meanwhile, everyone else should be already inside their doors under the Lockdown, and only venturing out for the occasional activity included in the Approved List on the www.gov.uk website.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you @Jaylee and @Brunneira for you replies and I am well thank you. As yet, I don't know what they were told, but the stepson lives with 3 other's, my friend included, so I was concerned about my friends well being.

Reactions: Brunneria

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Anyone, whether newly arrived in the country or not is now subject to the Isolate for 7 Days at onset of symptoms,

How does 7 days work? I thought you had to wait 14???

I'm in NZ, just settling in for 4 weeks of not leaving my property (not quite as bad as it sounds, we have a big field).

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How does 7 days work? I thought you had to wait 14???

I'm in NZ, just settling in for 4 weeks of not leaving my property (not quite as bad as it sounds, we have a big field).

Current rules are that if you start having symptoms you isolate for 7 days, and everyone else in the household does so for 14 days.
The thinking (wishful thinking IMHO) is that since the virus is spreadable before the symptoms start, the rest of the household who may have picked it up from you, will be kept at home during their infectious but asymptomatic period.

Apparently (again, wishful thinking IMHO) is that after a week, even if you still have a few symptoms, the virus is no longer shedding, or is shedding very little, and you are therefore much less infectious than you were before the symptoms and for those first 7 days.

In reality, now that we are in Lockdown, we should ALL be isolated. No one should be leaving their houses unless they have no symptoms, or are out of the 7/14 day isolation period, and then only for the very few reasons allowed (supplies, medical emergency, some types of work and exercise once a day). People who are 'Shielding' will be using additional isolation rules for 12 weeks.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A fiends stepson returned from Thailand yesterday via Dubai and I was told they had infa red there, but no test was done on arrival in the UK. I haven't been abroad in over 20 years, but to me, this seems unacceptable.
So, what do others think, especially now as we are in a lock down !

TIA

Robin, I flew back, albeit directly, and albeit a couple of weeks ago now, from Bangkok, without any additional checks, except asking anyone feeling unwell, or experiencing potential symptoms to make themselves known to cabin crew or ground staff.

We have a relative still in Thailand - his flight has been cancelled, and he's having trouble finding a flight.

To my knowledge, Dubai has been closed for some time. It is a very major hub from the East, and it has caused some quite significant issues with repatriations - both ways.

I'm not trivialising your concerns, but Thailand remains behind us on the curve for COVID.

This is the current guidance for from the F&C Office: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-...youre-abroad-and-you-want-to-return-to-the-uk

At the moment, it seems the onus is in the incoming person to comply with UK guidelines, and do the right thing.