What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.2 after a good sleep and yesterday’s blip. Sun shining and big i provement in friend’s mobility and pain. She is considering going home sometime next week since she is in the vulnerable group (cancer treatment) so will get help with food, med deliveries. Also there is a CoOp opposite her house. We are ok as long as Conor stays well and is able to do the 2 hour drive to/from us with groceries.
Today I am going to do a stock take and make a list. And some cleaning.
Mr Fuzz gone awol. It was bound to happen.
@gennepher the sad girl didnt look sad to me, very expressive. Thank you for the art to you and @Muddy Cyclist
Have a good Wednesday everyone. STAY SAFE STAY WELL.

Well done on the fbg and I’m so glad your friend is recovering well. Is she on the vulnerable stay at home for 12 weeks list though?
Shame about Mr Fuzz I’m sure he cheered you all up for a while. Fingers crossed that Conor stays well. My oldest daughter and family are quarantined now after her husband became ill a couple of days ago, again, we think it’s likely to be a cold but not taking chances. Stay safe.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing at all, I wear mine which I got before it kicked off here. It's N95 rated (yes the one in the ninja picture) and if they don't work then why do ALL hospital workers wear them when treating those already infected?

All the doctors and support staff that I know say they work, there just aren't enough to supply the general population so it is 'easier' to say they don't work.

Other views are available ;)

Mulling this one over...
And I see the hole in the argument.

If the advise is to use a hankie..good idea
And the advice is to cough/ sneeze into the crook of your arm ..

So cover your mouth, is one of the fundamentals of the foundations of the government's strategy to slow this down protect as many lives as possible & the NHS collapsing under the strain.

But covering your mouth in a constant fashion is bad and won't help.

Madness.

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news about the apartment @SaskiaKC. Fbgs looking good @Muddy Cyclist, @trick60 , @karen8967 , @PenguinMum and @DJC3 (forgot the number but certain it was) Great news about Lady Penelope @OldButBold. Was 5.3 today - 9 months to Christmas and day 1 of 3 month lockdown for me and my builder - same letter. Bg tiny piece in a mosaic and lockdown letter makes life simple for me - ideally Julie stays put as well but if she does need to leave home I'll isolate internally. @PenguinMum I hope your friend does get help, being identified, as yet I don't see any sign of identifying myself as in that category. The kindness and preparedness for ultimate sacrifice of strangers was always hiding in plain sight.
Edit: Of course, 3 month lockdown

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
NHS workers getting parking tickets , govt looking in to it..:rolleyes:

Piers Morgan has offered to pay them all, and HE will, then battle the government on their behalf.
So they can get on with their job without the added worry.

Bravo.

Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My email to the GP surgery to ask about medicines elicited this automatic reply saying:

"This mail box is for general enquiries, it is not checked on a regular basis. Requests to this mail box for things like medication etc may not be actioned."

How often does a doctor's surgery check emails?

Prior to Coronavirus I never got a reply from the surgery email address. It is obviously no better now. Also they wouldn't issue repeat prescriptions with a telephone call. (But I cannot use a phone with being deaf). And my internet friend is still trying to phone the doctor's on my behalf, to no avail.

She has posted a couple of things about this on local social media/Facebook on my behalf (with my permission). Her latest suggestion this morning was based on something she read online, and asked if I had any stamps. I said I had a few 2nd class stamps. She said the advice she read online was to post a letter, and I can raise awareness with my doc surgery in that way.

The point of this post is asking if any of you have any first class stamps for any future queries etc you may need to make and you don't want to go into the post office itself?

Just a thought.

I am going offline for a few hours, my internet is tortuously slow and I am wasting time and causing frustration for myself

Catch you all later.
Be good....
Or maybe not .. :)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.7 this morning. I think that I have just proved that getting stressed and eating too much.Montezuma 's 100%, almond butter, pistachio nuts and cream is not a very effective way to manage blood sugars.

Am definitely feeling less stressed this morning and the Montezuma 's etc are now under house arrest - so hopefully all will go well today.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Given that we diabetics are very good at collecting data (that's why this site exists) you might want to put those skills to use helping science.

Guys and St Thomas Biomedical research centre have created an app to register your current state daily and help monitor the spread of the virus. Just a way we can all help :)

https://covid.joinzoe.com/

If the advise is to use a hankie..good idea
And the advice is to cough/ sneeze into the crook of your arm ..
But covering your mouth in a constant fashion is bad and won't help.

This advice is for when you suspect/have the virus to stop you spreading it about. I wear my mask to increase my self-isolation if I am out, just as medics wear them to increase the effectiveness of barrier nursing neither of which is a constant.

EDIT to add -
If you're on FB you can get updates via this page

https://www.facebook.com/coronaviru...d=1585127589007923&notif_t=coronavirus_update

Reactions: dunelm

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who are mourning over the national bin day celebrations being cancelled.

A very low 4.7 for me and me's this morning, I have had to reduce my insulin dosage.

Well folks the worrying thing about being in the at risk group and receiving the letter could well be two fold, before you all rant at me this is just speculation, nothing else just speculation.
Point 1
If you catch the virus, the medics can't treat you, therefore you are going to die.
Point 2
Prioritising treatment, will the medics treat someone who has little or no chance of survival or correctly concentrate on someone who has a chance of survival.

Therefore perhaps you are better off not being classified as at risk.
On that gloomy note have a great day and stay separated.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Managed to get cat food & litter from Amazon limited to one 20l bag of litter did go back & order another using a different card...I'll manage with what we have as long as there's coffee & milk...couldn't bear to see the kittens going without never thought I'd be one of those hoarders...don't tell anyone!

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 this morning. Trying to stay indoors. Hubby is out with his paint brush on his own so that's ok.

He is supposed to have an asthma review at the end of the week but he has been told this will be conducted over the telephone, which I am more happier about. He is a sociable person and would stop and talk to anyone and everyone without any regard for risk. His review is to see if he should go back on his old asthma meds - he was really poorly just after Christmas so the Doc prescribed stronger meds on a temporary basis. It will be interesting to see what they do considering this present emergency.

Made some hand sanitizer with my Aloe Vera gel (with tea tree oil) and the rubbing alcohol I purchased. Thought I had some separate tea tree oil but couldn't find it. I've been using it but interestingly mixture did not combine very well - has white sediment on the bottom of the dispenser - not to worry though a simple shake of the bottle sorts that. For some reason it has a lovely smell, used an old liquid soap dispenser so may be a lingering fragrance. All in all happy with the results, and my hands seem to be ok not drying out too much. As I bought 5 litres of the alcohol I have been able to use it neat to sanitize handles etc., plus I have been able to pass some on to family and neighbours who are also self isolating. Might try making some more with moisturizer rather than Aloe Vera to see how that works.

@SaskiaKC great that you have received news of your apartment.
@Muddy Cyclist, love your drawings I go with what everyone has said about them, very haunting.
Hope you get a shopping slot soon- its impossible in my area at the moment. Ended up visiting Asda early the other morning. Shop was relatively quiet, so we could keep our social distance. I was surprised how much food was in the store, they had obviously had had a stock delivery. Wont be venturing out again if I can help it as son is insisting on doing the shopping for us. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have managed to get an online shopping slot but I wont hold my breath.
@SlimLizzy - its a big decision to make whether to go home or not. Will both of you be able to get home now?
@OldButBold - good that you have come to a good understanding with "Lady Penelope."

Keep well all.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.7 yesterday and 4.7 today

just back from our 'weekly' early morning shopping run, we weren't quite ready to stock up but mum hasn't quite grasped the logistics of going out once a week and then only if necessary yet, mum's very independant and had got used to a 'normal' of pottering out a couple of times a week by bus to the local town (with us getting the heavy stuff and as an emergency back up if she forgot something), as part of her routine. We're doing her shopping for her now and she's staying home. Her attitude for the situation is 'no point being scared we just have to get on with it and do what we have to do' she's pretty pragmatic :)

Wipes and sanitiser at the ready we ventured forth and it was quite a pleasant surprise actually, there was a good range of fresh veg and a reasonable range of other stock and, because we were early, we even scored a small bottle of hand sanitiser each.

Social distancing measures in place, taped lines on the floor at the checkout and queuing area, load at the end of the belt, wait at the other end behind the line for your shopping to be processed, then pick it up from behind the line at the end of the checkout and pay. Next customer waits behind the next set of lines 2 metres away (bit like those 'keep 2 sets of arrows between you' spacing markers they have on some continental roads) all the staff and checkout people armed with spray bottles of sanitiser to keep wiping down.

Now for coffee and to catch up on the thread :)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

Reactions: karen8967

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Joy of joys! The siege is lifted, well, a little.

Went for a scary outing to collect meds., visit the Co-op (some stuff actually) and lastly a bit of an exercise walk to the local fishermens' wet fish shop, no cars or people, looked closed.

It was open, no queue, and fully stocked with every kind of fish and crustacean. The cheerful salesman said they can deliver in the local area for NO CHARGE at 24 hours notice.

Got to go now, fish to gut and place into freezer. Thanks to the Lord for the bounty of the sea.

Reactions: karen8967

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also it this am, M&S early doors had plenty.

Edgeware road big branch.

Cousins lads work there, he says they aren't making money, much lower footfall, v rents etc
So they are thinking of shutting it..

Not sure what to make of that. If I'm honest.

We at the moment seem to be able to get food, but the story does seem different around the country
Would love to be able to help some one out but the journey times are too much at present.

We see to Lauren's dad as well, so we know that trips to the vulnerable is still considered necessary journeys.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.3 this morning and another gorgeous day so gardening it is. Temp is 35.9 so I'm ok :angelic:

Her ladyship has finally accepted that we are 'at war' and should behave responsibly. The good news is that she has prebooked guaranteed slots for online shopping (I can't afford those) and has told me I can tack my needs on to her shopping lists. Probably the best thing that's happened :)

At least her boyfriend is staying away, so I don't have to put up with that nonsense ;)

I'll leave you with my all-time favourite quote -

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
― Frank Herbert, Dune

I am very glad to hear the good news about her ladyship, and your shopping list. :)
I like your Dune quote. Thank you for posting it.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Joy of joys! The siege is lifted, well, a little.

Went for a scary outing to collect meds., visit the Co-op (some stuff actually) and lastly a bit of an exercise walk to the local fishermens' wet fish shop, no cars or people, looked closed.

It was open, no queue, and fully stocked with every kind of fish and crustacean. The cheerful salesman said they can deliver in the local area for NO CHARGE at 24 hours notice.

Got to go now, fish to gut and place into freezer. Thanks to the Lord for the bounty of the sea.

Amen. :)

Reactions: True Blue

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's absolutely brilliant. Have they given you a moving date?

Not yet. I'm expecting a call from them any day. The moving date partly depends on whether or not I will have to stay at my present address for the full 30 days. I hope to find that out this morning.
Thank you. :)