First person I know with virus and it's my mum...

mouseee

My mum has been in hospital for a few weeks and contracted the virus there.
She has t2, badly controlled, chest problems, heart failure.

Shes fine at the moment but probably just about to enter the bad bit. She was tested 5 days ago and only got results last night.

She says the staff are amazing. Shes very realistic, and even mentioned palliative care as that was one of her specialities as a nurse. But it's hard hearing that type of thing from your mum.

So so so important we all stay at home.

Reactions: lengward

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry, @mouseee , very worrying time for you. Thank you for sharing.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh heck @mouseee
what a blow for you both.

Hoping that she isn't hit too hard. Many, many, people get through this, it is just a small minority that don't. And she is already in the right place for prompt treatment and close monitoring.

Reactions: NaijaChick

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That must be a real nightmare for you - I hope all goes well with your mum - but it sounds as though she's in good hands.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Possibly being a bit too brutal here, but getting it early means you get good NHS care, ICU if you need it etc. I am in NZ and have already resigned myself to zero hospital care if I get it once the virus peaks. (58 yo T1, I know that if ICU places are limited I don't deserve a space.)

Your mum will get the best care the NHS can provide, I hope that's enough. Good luck to you both,

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Shes fine at the moment but probably just about to enter the bad bit. She was tested 5 days ago and only got results last night.

She says the staff are amazing. Shes very realistic, and even mentioned palliative care as that was one of her specialities as a nurse. But it's hard hearing that type of thing from your mum.

Oh no... I'm so very sorry. Keeping you both in my thoughts, as there's little else one can do...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear your news @mouseee - I wish for the very best outcome for you.

Have the hospital given you any guidance on how you should be managing yourself, going forward?

For sure you'll be on my "sending positive vibes" list until further notice.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wishing you and your Mum all the best for a speedy recovery, @mouseee . Everybody deserves the maximum care, so I hope she will receive it. (She has especially earned it as an ex nurse)
Keep Strong!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Possibly being a bit too brutal here, but getting it early means you get good NHS care, ICU if you need it etc. I am in NZ and have already resigned myself to zero hospital care if I get it once the virus peaks. (58 yo T1, I know that if ICU places are limited I don't deserve a space.)

Your mum will get the best care the NHS can provide, I hope that's enough. Good luck to you both,

Hi EllieM - where do you get the idea a 58 year old in NZ with a pre-existing condition wouldn't get any hospital care? I certainly have something invested in that not being true! :). Keep me posted, but I think that is a way pessimistic view, and not reflective of what everyone is gearing up for, and policy, at all.

One of the interviewess on the tele who contracted it at Gatwick on the way home to Auckland was no spring chicken - not young not old - middle aged like many many Kiwis. And no-one would think you "don't deserve a space". I am very sorry you feel so down about NZ hospital care - many all over the world are very scared, and some close kin as in this post have got it and are being cared for.

My understanding should you or your kin be in that position in NZ medicsl professionals and insitutions will rally around you and yours, as you should expect. I hope I have done something to lift your expectations, and spirit, as I do think it will be better than you might think...

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sorry, I don't agree, yes you DO deserve a space. I get that decisions have to be made and it may be the survival of the fittest but 58? That's my age, I have a family same as everyone, I work and pay my taxes, same as everyone, I strive to keep myself healthy, same as a lot of people and so on, if they are writing people off at that age God help us. x

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Sending big hugs to you and your poorly mum and I wish her a healthy recovery.
Don't forget to take care of yourself :)