T2 Blood sugar today 14.4 as per nurse phone call, panicking

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Started at 10 per cent on diabetes type 2 last June then October it was down to 7. Was on Metformin then Sukarto slow release, still taking twice day.
Have lost 3 stone without trying. Thirsty. Nurse concerned about today’s results and having to contact someone.
I have lapsed in my diet since Xmas as I am coeliac too, the tablets however make me less hungry.
I go to the gym three times a week and just lately noticed I feel light headed afterwards and palpitations.
Really worried, could I be a type 1 diabetic!?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I think you really need to get a c-peptide and antibodies test done to find out if you are T1

And go from there.

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow Thankyou, i didn’t realise I could be T2 then T1 ... the nurse said she will call back but I’m presuming more tests.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow Thankyou, i didn’t realise I could be T2 then T1 ... the nurse said she will call back but I’m presuming more tests.
Well T2 cannot turn into T1, however it could have been a misdiagnosis, or you can get both (but that I believe is a very minimal amount of people). But yes it would involve the tests @Tophat1900 suggested to verify if you are T1
Losing weight without trying is one sign it could be T1, though you did say your diet had lapsed, that could also easily explain a hefty rise in blood sugar dependent on what you've been eating

Reactions: GuidingSenses

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree losing weight without trying is a pointer to T1. I was a regular gym goer with stable weight but slim and suddenly I started losing weight. My silly GP said I couldn't be T1 but I had my own C-Peptide done and it showed low insulin. I am fortunately now on Basal/Bolus insulin but still listed, wrongly, as T2.

Reactions: GuidingSenses

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had blood tests today and they are starting me on insulin. I’ve to go back to surgery tomorrow as they will have results of blood tests and will train me on doing insulin and using the dual meter.... I’m still in shock but so grateful that I went to surgery as I felt light headed and felt my sugars had dropped to low! How wrong I was.