First person I know with virus and it's my mum...

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh what a worrying time for you and your family, everything crossed for your mum right now, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and know that we are here for you xxx

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi EllieM - where do you get the idea a 58 year old in NZ with a pre-existing condition wouldn't get any hospital care?
Well, I agree that it's pessimistic, but it's my understanding that that is what has happened in overwhelmed hospitals in Italy. And hopefully the fact that we are all locking down means that our services don't get overwhelmed.....

Reactions: jjraak

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi again @EllieM - not just locked down in Aotearoa/New Zealand, but in a state of national emergency. Road blocks - the works.

'Interesting times' indeed. Very upsetting for us all - this global pandemic. Yes, the hard line is supposed to stop our medical services from being overwhelmed. We were just a little bit late in closing our borders ('easy' enough to do when you are two very large islands and two smaller ones, a very long way from continents in the middle of the ocean, as it were), and even then we will always have open borders to our citizens and permanent residents. The virus has been flying in, it is here, and community contagion has begun in the last few days or so. That's how it goes?

Italy has the aged population issue, to boot? Yes, poor Italy.

But don't want to derail this very personal and moving thread...

I feel for us all, and especially those with loved ones ill...

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
So sorry @mouseee, your mother sounds lovely. Hug. Like many of the others, I too hope that she comes through this.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mum has been in hospital for a few weeks and contracted the virus there.
She has t2, badly controlled, chest problems, heart failure.

Shes fine at the moment but probably just about to enter the bad bit. She was tested 5 days ago and only got results last night.

She says the staff are amazing. Shes very realistic, and even mentioned palliative care as that was one of her specialities as a nurse. But it's hard hearing that type of thing from your mum.

So so so important we all stay at home.

Hi @mouseee ,

Sorry to read your post.

It isn't "the guy back from abroad anymore."

It's also my brother in law too.. He's not been anywhere for ages. Cancer patient. Diagnosed with COVID yesterday & moved from his place of care, ironically to a bed next to another confirmed case from the same hospital/rehab he was treated.

Stay safe. Best wishes..

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear it @mouseee . It is such a tough time for everyone It is a great reminder that we obey the rules- not for ourselves but for everyone. It is selfish not to.
My prayers are with you and your mum and family.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear it @mouseee . It is such a tough time for everyone It is a great reminder that we obey the rules- not for ourselves but for everyone. It is selfish not to.
My prayers are with you and your mum and family.

Agree.. We do what we must to protect OTHERS

@mouseee .. How Awful, huge hugs .
No one wants it, but as said, best chance of good treatment I might suggest was early on.

Please god, she makes a full recovery.

Can't say don't worry, how could you not, but do remember to take care of yourself.
She's going to need you strong and healthy when she gets home

Take care.

mouseee

Well, had a phone call Friday and that update told us that she was doing well and they were even considering her discharge next week. I was sceptical to say the least as she isn't a well lady generally. No one has time to update us, which isn't unexpected as they are rushed off their feet.

Today a phone call from the Dr who said she hadn't improved and may deteriorate now over the next couple of days.

We will have to see. She also has an infection of some kind as she gets delirious when she has one. She told me about the lovely day out she had today although she couldnt remember where! Previously, we've heard all about her trip to the football with the student drs!

Reactions: Rich92

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@mouseee I've just seen this thread. In my experience of hospital before the virus then your mum will be discharged once they can physically do it. They needed the beds pre COVID so I'm sure their main concern will be a quick discharge, be assured. Ultimately though the staff are fantastic and are very used to working when tired and in long hours, amazingly so. Your mum will definitely understand that. She sounds like one of their amazing colleagues.
I send my continuous appreciation to her and others fighting this fight.
My little bug spreaders are indeed home and not travelling around with the family like they usually do. We are making smaller sacrifices to help overall. Anything else that will help your mum, just ask.
Be assured any temperature or persistent cough from any of us 4 we will fully isolate from even essential shopping and medical appointments. In fact I'm requesting IF diabetes hospital appointment essential tomorrow then by phone only. Although my abdominal scan this week may be essential otherwise it could lead to life threatening sepsis or similiar. I'll only accept if staff hv full protective equipment though. For my family and operators family too.

Reactions: KK123

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so sorry to hear that your mom isn't doing well now. I hope she improves. Hugs and prayers your way and to your mom and family @mouseee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well, had a phone call Friday and that update told us that she was doing well and they were even considering her discharge next week. I was sceptical to say the least as she isn't a well lady generally. No one has time to update us, which isn't unexpected as they are rushed off their feet.

Today a phone call from the Dr who said she hadn't improved and may deteriorate now over the next couple of days.

We will have to see. She also has an infection of some kind as she gets delirious when she has one. She told me about the lovely day out she had today although she couldnt remember where! Previously, we've heard all about her trip to the football with the student drs!

Sending positive vibes to your mum, to you and your family and (((((((( HUGS )))))))) too X

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sending hugs and prayers mousee and wondered how your mum is? Take care. Xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @mouseee - Lots of us are still thinking of you and your Mum. I hope she is holding her own.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Didn't see this until now. Thinking of you both. <3

mouseee

Updates are now getting trickier. The hospital have just started a call system where you are supposed to have a daily phone call to update next of kin. But it hasnt happened yet. When you actually get through they are so busy they cant speak, or the person you need to speak to can't speak.

In the past few days she has moved ward three times, we've been told she may be discharged as improving, that she hasnt improved and wont be put on ventilator if she deteriorates, then that she was improving, discharge mentioned, then she was off oxygen, then on oxygen, not being discharged anytime soon.

It's a nightmare from a relatives point of view. I understand fully why it's so difficult but it doesnt make it easier.

Really, we are still in the dark.
This is in no way a complaint! The hospital are caring for her and others as best they can at the moment and their priority has to be the patients.