Newly diagnosed! Hi and help!

Buzzer81

Hi all,

I am 38 male, newly diagnosed with type 2. Like many, I was told I had type 2 diabetes, given Metformin and ushered out the door.

The doctor said that anything over 48 was diabetes..... I’m 91! (Crushed it!.... oh it’s a bad thing)

Then to make it a clean sweep, where my levels should be 7, they’re 14!

You can probably tell I have no idea what I’m talking about! I wondered if these levels seem totally off the charts because the doctor was very stern and serious with me. He didn’t need to be as I understand how serious it is and have already completely changed around my diet. Lost a stone within 3 weeks and have started with the medication.

My low carb life has left me feeling quite drained and lacking in energy to workout/ exercise which is frustrating. I want to follow the low carb method as it seems the best way to go, even if doctor did not suggest it.

I suppose I’m asking.....
Are those levels insane, how quickly can I turn those around?
Will a low carb lifestyle ever work for me?

Any advice would be gratefully received and I wish you all a happy evening.

Jon

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was 122, reduced carbs (drastically) and 4 months later was 35. So yes, you can turn it around. Are you using a glucose meter?

Reactions: Buzzer81

Buzzer81

I was 122, reduced carbs (drastically) and 4 months later was 35. So yes, you can turn it around. Are you using a glucose meter?

thank you for your reply!!! And well done for reducing the levels so much, it’s great to hear that.

i have not been using a monitor. I didn’t even think of it until I saw this forum. I will definitely get one.

when you say you reduced carbs, how many grams per day did you consume may I ask?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That (reduced carbs) is not really the point ... not quite yet. But it most surely is, long term

What do you now eat is the more important factor? And your weight

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
how many grams per day did you consume may I ask?
I was so high, I decided to go keto, less than 20g per day. It took 4 weeks to get through the carb addiction, then n more appetite, from then on it was a doddle. Everyone has to find their own level. I can eat a few more carbs now than I could at the beginning.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your body needs to learn to find energy from other sources than carbs. It’s not uncommon to feel a bit washed out in the switch over. How are you losing weight? Low fat as well as low carb? If so there’s your answer. You still need fuel and increasing fats ie not eating low fat junk is essential. You don’t have to go mad but you do need to eat those and proteins to make up for the reduced carbs.

Also make sure you are drinking more water. Carbs hold fluid, without them we get dehydrated more easily.

And by drinking more we flush electrolytes more quickly so enough salts, not just sodium but magnesium and potassium too are required, ideally through food but a supplement if needed. This alone can make you feel really lousy if not maintained sufficiently.

hang on it there. It gets easier and you’ve done really well so far.

Let us know when you’ve got the meter and we’ll help you along with how to use it.

Buzzer81

That’s what I want to do, but I have found issues when I get that low in carbs. Heart palpitations has been the main one, that’s worried me enough to eat a few carbs. Decided to keep a carb diary.... I’m averaging about 80-100 carbs a day at the moment. I was feeling that was an ok amount but I just don’t know.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When your sugars start to drop, you can feel odd. It is not normal for your body, but you will adjust. Getting a meter is key to sorting it out.

Buzzer81

Your body needs to learn to find energy from other sources than carbs. It’s not uncommon to feel a bit washed out in the switch over. How are you losing weight? Low fat as well as low carb? If so there’s your answer. You still need fuel and increasing fats ie not eating low fat junk is essential. You don’t have to go mad but you do need to eat those and proteins to make up for the reduced carbs.

Also make sure you are drinking more water. Carbs hold fluid, without them we get dehydrated more easily.

And by drinking more we flush electrolytes more quickly so enough salts, not just sodium but magnesium and potassium too are required, ideally through food but a supplement if needed. This alone can make you feel really lousy if not maintained sufficiently.

hang on it there. It gets easier and you’ve done really well so far.

Let us know when you’ve got the meter and we’ll help you along with how to use it.

Wow, thanks so much for your reply! Some great advice here. The fluids thing is good to hear, I’ve increased to at least 1.5-2ltrs of water per day at the moment. Starting to notice I’m feeling better (in between freaking out about corona virus symptoms)

mill get the meter ASAP and will be back with more questions I’m sure!!!!!

I’ve been averaging 80-100g of fat per day for the last week as well, no idea if that’s enough!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The strips are your running cost. I use the Tee2. To stave off hunger, eat more fat.
What are you eating in a typical day?

Buzzer81

The strips are your running cost. I use the Tee2. To stave off hunger, eat more fat.
What are you eating in a typical day?

So last week I’ve been focusing on diet so I’ve got it all logged. Mainly been eating eggs, smoked mackerel, Brazil nuts, avocados, chicken, bananas, salad. A few sweet potatoes fries. That’s about it. Had some baked beans but then saw the carb numbers so gave them up.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going to bed now, will catch up with you tomorrow.....

Buzzer81

Eek!

Why do you think tennis players eat them between sets? Don't eat grapes either. Berries are ok in moderation, with Greek yoghurt or double cream.

Oh man! I thought they’d be a problem. Gutting but I’ll cut them out as well.

Yoghurt wise, are the flavoured ones ok? Or is it Greek plain yoghurt only?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Now you might know why I asked my question.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s what I want to do, but I have found issues when I get that low in carbs. Heart palpitations has been the main one, that’s worried me enough to eat a few carbs. Decided to keep a carb diary.... I’m averaging about 80-100 carbs a day at the moment. I was feeling that was an ok amount but I just don’t know.
Potassium and magnesium are important here I think. Check you are getting enough.
How many carbs is incredibly variable. Hence the need for a meter to find your level. Otherwise it’s waiting months for another Hb1ac before you ave any idea and even then not knowing which actions were positive and which negative just the overall result.

Buzzer81

Potassium and magnesium are important here I think. Check you are getting enough.
How many carbs is incredibly variable. Hence the need for a meter to find your level. Otherwise it’s waiting months for another Hb1ac before you ave any idea and even then not knowing which actions were positive and which negative just the overall result.

it seems so obvious, I don’t know why I wasn’t advised to do that! Thank you

Buzzer81

Now you might know why I asked my question.

hi mike, I’m still unclear on so many aspects. I’m sure I’ll get there but it just feels like walking through a thick fog with no idea which direction to go! Food wise I do feel like I’ve made significant changes to my diet but clearly have a way to go. Really appreciating all the advice on here.

thanks

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The most important thing is to get a meter asap. The most important investment you will make right now. That will give you a clue what your blood glucose is doing when you wake up, before and 2-3 hours after you eat and before you go to bed. You will be able to tell what different foods are doing to your levels and how slow or fast you are eventually and hopefully going into normal ranges.

But I also like to warn everyone. Sure you have lowered your carbs and you really don't know how well you are doing because you don't have a meter. But if nothing seems to be working or things don't make sense always keep in mind you could be a type 1 and not a type 2. 40% of type 1's are misdiagnosed as type 2's at first. As a LADA/type 1 you still make insulin for a while, it just slowly dwindles. So diet changes and medications can seem to work at first and that just helps with the misdiagnosis that happens. So keep it in mind, just in case.