Newly diagnosed! Hi and help!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You mentioned heart palpitations when going v low carb.
not fun, but easily rectified.

have a google for ‘common mistakes on keto’ or ‘common mistakes going low carb’
You will find it easy to spot problems you may be doing - including lacking electrolytes due to increased water intake.

Reactions: Buzzer81

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I am 38 male, newly diagnosed with type 2. Like many, I was told I had type 2 diabetes, given Metformin and ushered out the door.

The doctor said that anything over 48 was diabetes..... I’m 91! (Crushed it!.... oh it’s a bad thing)

Then to make it a clean sweep, where my levels should be 7, they’re 14!

You can probably tell I have no idea what I’m talking about! I wondered if these levels seem totally off the charts because the doctor was very stern and serious with me. He didn’t need to be as I understand how serious it is and have already completely changed around my diet. Lost a stone within 3 weeks and have started with the medication.

My low carb life has left me feeling quite drained and lacking in energy to workout/ exercise which is frustrating. I want to follow the low carb method as it seems the best way to go, even if doctor did not suggest it.

I suppose I’m asking.....
Are those levels insane, how quickly can I turn those around?
Will a low carb lifestyle ever work for me?

Any advice would be gratefully received and I wish you all a happy evening.

Jon
Hi Jon,

For someone quite in the dark, you're taking a lot of steps in the right direction. Granted, banana's are a stumbling point, but they, we all made mistakes at the start. And the others are right: you're missing electrolytes, coconut milk, bone broth or supplements should sort that out. Up your salt intake some and you should feel a lot better right quick. (Especially with the palpitations, you're likely very low on potassium now. Just a guess though, but an educated one). https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help a little to navigate the groceries. And hey, if plain full fat greek yoghurt isn't your thing, toss a couple of berries in, (voila, flavoured yoghurt!) or some chopped walnuts/pecans, grated coconut for a bit of crunch.

Hope that's of use some. :)
Jo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You've had a lot of good comments so far on the forum. Can you let us know whether you still have excess weight if any as it can be a pointer towards being T1 rather than T2. The food items you list are generally good but not bananas as they are very high carb. In general avoid tropical fruits and watch the sugar in yogurts. 150gm/day or less is a good target for carbs but see what works for you. When low-carbing have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full.

Buzzer81

Hi. You've had a lot of good comments so far on the forum. Can you let us know whether you still have excess weight if any as it can be a pointer towards being T1 rather than T2. The food items you list are generally good but not bananas as they are very high carb. In general avoid tropical fruits and watch the sugar in yogurts. 150gm/day or less is a good target for carbs but see what works for you. When low-carbing have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full.

Thank you for your reply! I am slightly overweight I suppose. I’m now stuck at 95kg, down from just over 100 a few weeks back. I’m 6’1” and generally bmi wise I need to lose another stone really. Thank you for the carb target, I’m usually under that so it’s nice to know!

It’s just getting used to fats and protein, I cannot believe how much carb I ate, I even look at other people now and think..... ooooohhhhh that’s a little carb heavy :)

The doctor felt I may be type 1 initially..... but then he said probably type 2. Although he was really shocked at my levels so I will keep an open mind as to wether I may be misdiagnosed.

Buzzer81

Hi Jon,

For someone quite in the dark, you're taking a lot of steps in the right direction. Granted, banana's are a stumbling point, but they, we all made mistakes at the start. And the others are right: you're missing electrolytes, coconut milk, bone broth or supplements should sort that out. Up your salt intake some and you should feel a lot better right quick. (Especially with the palpitations, you're likely very low on potassium now. Just a guess though, but an educated one). https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help a little to navigate the groceries. And hey, if plain full fat greek yoghurt isn't your thing, toss a couple of berries in, (voila, flavoured yoghurt!) or some chopped walnuts/pecans, grated coconut for a bit of crunch.

Hope that's of use some. :)
Jo

hi Jo,

great suggestions, thanks. Yes I’d better start getting creative with Greek yoghurt as it’s something I’ve avoided until now. Better face it head on! Coconut milk seems good but also some articles suggest it is bad for diabetics. Should I limit my intake? Thanks for your reply

Jon

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi Jo,

great suggestions, thanks. Yes I’d better start getting creative with Greek yoghurt as it’s something I’ve avoided until now. Better face it head on! Coconut milk seems good but also some articles suggest it is bad for diabetics. Should I limit my intake? Thanks for your reply

Jon
Well, there's sweetened and unsweetened, so you'll have to be careful there, and it's relatively carby even if unsweetened, so not too much. But sometimes it's handier than bone broth. You could always order electrolyte supplements from H&B, those wouldn't be anywhere near as problematic, but hopefully your body'll have stabilized by the time that would be delivered. (Dunno if they're open in the UK).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So last week I’ve been focusing on diet so I’ve got it all logged. Mainly been eating eggs, smoked mackerel, Brazil nuts, avocados, chicken, bananas, salad. A few sweet potatoes fries. That’s about it. Had some baked beans but then saw the carb numbers so gave them up.
The sweet potatoes are actually higher in carbs than the ordinary - and I can't eat them.
My Hba1c was 91 at diagnosis. I went to low carb of 50 gm a day as I had done Atkins in the past and knew that was the level at which I lost weight slowly - it also turned out to be the level at which my blood glucose level was normal - not a coincidence I think.
I eat meat, fish, seafood, eggs, nuts and cheese, salads and stirfries, and some roasted veges also small amounts of frozen berries with cream, also cream in my coffee - the first mug of the day I add in a pinch of cinnamon and a tiny pinch of salt - as I do not have salt in anything else and I was getting cramps in the hot summers. I have reduced down to 40 gm of carbs to try to get a lower Hba1c, but I suspect decades of high carb diets, low in calories and fat, have caused problems.
I feel so much better these past few years - and I need to show my bus pass to prove my age.

Swills100

Hi all,

I am 38 male, newly diagnosed with type 2. Like many, I was told I had type 2 diabetes, given Metformin and ushered out the door.

The doctor said that anything over 48 was diabetes..... I’m 91! (Crushed it!.... oh it’s a bad thing)

You can probably tell I have no idea what I’m talking about! I wondered if these levels seem totally off the charts because the doctor was very stern and serious with me. He didn’t need to be as I understand how serious it is and have already completely changed around my diet. Lost a stone within 3 weeks and have started with the medication.

My low carb life has left me feeling quite drained and lacking in energy to workout/ exercise which is frustrating. I want to follow the low carb method as it seems the best way to go, even if doctor did not suggest it.

Jon
Hi Jon
I hope you are coping well with the news and overwhelming amount of information out there.
Firstly, it is best to slowly reduce any carbs and/or your blood glucose, as doing anything too drastic may have a negative impact. Slowly slowly. But it's great you are keen to get cracking on improvements.

I would choose more complex carbs, which break down more slowly and tend to not spike blood glucose levels so much. These are more starchy carbs and usually wholegrain. I would avoid white rice/bread/pasta and potatoes and stick to brown versions or sweet potatoes. If you reduce carbs heavily, then feel tired, that is no good for you.

I would recommend testing your blood glucose levels upon waking, before meals (then 2 hours after eating) and before bed.
You can test before a long walk or jog and then see how this impacts your levels and go from there. This will help you to gain an understanding of how your body is coping with medication and how it deals with eating carbs.

Blood glucose between 4-7 is the golden rule, it may rise after eating or once you wake up and hormones are moving around, but this is the range you want as an ideal.

Good luck, you've got this!!
Sarah

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would choose more complex carbs, which break down more slowly and tend to not spike blood glucose levels so much. These are more starchy carbs and usually wholegrain. I would avoid white rice/bread/pasta and potatoes and stick to brown versions or sweet potatoes. If you reduce carbs heavily, then feel tired, that is no good for you.
Brown/whole meal bread, pasta rice has just as many carbs - and just as bad an effect on many. Sure it might be a slightly slower and lower rise but it’ll also last longer. Same for sweet potato. Reducing carbs heavily is the whole purpose. Replacing them with fats and proteins is essential for energy as are fluids and electrolytes. And any temporary adaptation period of feeling a bit odd is well worth it in the long term. Sounds like you’ve been listening to the typical mantra and scare stories originating from organisations with vested interests that saw people get sicker and sicker over years as the medical profession ‘were’ convinced it was always progressive til recently.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the carb target, I’m usually under that so it’s nice to know!
Sorry to be there bearer of glum news but I stay under 50 and just keep into prediabetic hb1ac’s and blood glucose typically in the 5’s and 6’s. For me 150g a day would keep me well in the diagnostic range. Another reason to have a meter.

Buzzer81

Thanks so much for all the replies!!!

Amazingly the blood sugar monitor turned up today! I was so excited I had to have a go.... at 8pm today my levels were 5.4! That’s normal! I was buzzing! Tomorrow I will test in the morning and 2hrs after food. And before bed and see! Fingers crossed

Reactions: HSSS

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Figures you had on DX seem pretty common place when first starting and all the advice above certainly helped me, Figures on my signature strip...) I was also advised to get a copy of Carbs & Cals book but it is also an app; huge eye opener on natural and hidden sugars well worth the investment, I prefer the book as all members of the family have flicked through ir.............

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you looked at the info on dietdoctor.com ? Lots of free infographics, carb comparisons and recipes

Buzzer81

Have you looked at the info on dietdoctor.com ? Lots of free infographics, carb comparisons and recipes

thank you, I’ll check it out.

had dinner of smoked mackerel, tomato and olives. Two bits of Lindt chocolate which was a little indulgent.... 2 hrs later and test reading of 8.1

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
That’s what I want to do, but I have found issues when I get that low in carbs. Heart palpitations has been the main one, that’s worried me enough to eat a few carbs. Decided to keep a carb diary.... I’m averaging about 80-100 carbs a day at the moment. I was feeling that was an ok amount but I just don’t know.
Slowly, slowly catches monkey. Don't be in rush my friend this is a long game... it is achievable and many many prople here and the world over have done exactly that.

Keep reading everything you can and know your energy will pick up, your mind will be sharp as a razor, and the support here is second to none in my book. See mine and others signature at the bottom of posts to see the results that you can achieve with knowledge, understanding, a meter, and a LCHF diet.
Po

Buzzer81

What % cocoa. The higher the better.

I could barely manage 50% when I first started. Quite quickly got to 85% and even 90% if it’s Godiva.

85% it was surprisingly ok! That’s pretty much the only bad thing all week so I felt like I deserved a small treat!!!! Getting the hang of testing although the machine I have isn’t always playing ball.....
seems the technique is finger face up, strip face down.... any other configuration and it doesn’t work!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
85% it was surprisingly ok! That’s pretty much the only bad thing all week so I felt like I deserved a small treat!!!! Getting the hang of testing although the machine I have isn’t always playing ball.....
seems the technique is finger face up, strip face down.... any other configuration and it doesn’t work!
I don’t use strips (mine uses a cassette) but when I did I slid the strip into the base of blood drop to scoop it up. At least you can see the two points at contact that way. But if your way is working then go with it.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Jon

Hi. I was 112 and down to 36 three months later by being very strict with carbs. My fasting reading was 22!No meds. Have a read around. There some amazingly helpful and experienced people in there.