Need help

moe.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who are mean spirited
Hi I need to sort myself, I have had typ2 for a few years and to be honest have just plod along, my Drs surgery never have the same Dr from one week to the next and no diabetic nurse, I had my last blood test in Jan I was told sugar was high but stable so to just continue with tablets. I keep getting urine infections and the samples show sugar +++ they say I need to sort it but don't tell me how. I have now purchased a blood test kit and I am gona see if I can manage this my self so need guidance
Fasting 8.6
8am 2x weat bread
2hr later blood 10.8
10.30 porage
2hrs later 8.8
1ock home made leak&pot suop 2x weat bread (bread is small 4x4)
21/2hrs later13. 5
6pm egg and chips
3hrs later 12.9
Would normally eat more veg but on isolation not been out for a week any advice please is it normal to be so high 2 hours after a meal

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You're eating a lot of high carb foods which are giving you the high readings. Are you testing before meals? It would be a good idea to do so if you are not so you can see what you were before the meals. This will show you what those foods, bread, chips etc are doing to your levels.

Being you have been given no advice from HCP's about how to improve things, you may find this link below helpful in terms of dietary advice for T2's. I'd suggest ditching the high carb stuff, but I also understand it isn't easy to go shopping at the moment.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I need to sort myself, I have had typ2 for a few years and to be honest have just plod along, my Drs surgery never have the same Dr from one week to the next and no diabetic nurse, I had my last blood test in Jan I was told sugar was high but stable so to just continue with tablets. I keep getting urine infections and the samples show sugar +++ they say I need to sort it but don't tell me how. I have now purchased a blood test kit and I am gona see if I can manage this my self so need guidance
Fasting 8.6
8am 2x weat bread
2hr later blood 10.8
10.30 porage
2hrs later 8.8
21/2hrs later13. 5
6pm egg and chips
3hrs later 12.9
Would normally eat more veg but on isolation not been out for a week any advice please is it normal to be so high 2 hours after a meal
Hello @moe. , and welcome,

Considering what you're eating, I'd say that, yeah, that sort of rise is to be expected... You're eating very carb-heavy foods, and practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested. Good news being, there's LOADS of room for improvement here! But you'll have to radically change the way you eat, by the looks of it... Bread, porridge, chips... Those will not be doing you any favours whatsoever. No more wheat based products like bread, wraps, etc, no pasta, (most) fruit, spuds, rice, cereals or below-ground veggies. You'll want to stick with meat, poultry, fish, eggs, above ground veggies (preferably no beans, though some respond better to them than others: your meter'll tell you!), berries in moderation, cheeses, butter, full fat greek yoghurt, certain nuts (walnuts, pecans are best), olives, that sort of thing. There's more in-depth info on.... And then I saw there was a new message with The Nutritional Thingy's link. :) Ah, @Tophat1900 , you're a quick one. :) Anyway... Check that out, and if you have any questions... We're right here.

All in all though... Like I said, there's room for improvement. Things can and will get better. Once I turned 40 I got UTI's just about once a month or more for a while there, it seemed. And I managed to get rid of them without antibiotics without fail. (Just poured in a lot of water with apple cider vinegar or ginger tea with lemon to make my urine more sour than sweet, added in some d-mannose tablets to be on the safe side.... And flushed the infections right out. By the time the doc'd get the test results back I'd be free and clear already!) Would not have been possible if I'd still had high blood sugars, because the bacteria feed on the glucose in our urine. So all in all, if you get your blood glucose under control, you might still get them, but you'll not have a long drawn-out painful battle with them.
Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: ianpspurs

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting 8.6
8am 2x weat bread
2hr later blood 10.8
10.30 porage
2hrs later 8.8
21/2hrs later13. 5
6pm egg and chips
3hrs later 12.9
Has no one ever told you what the problem is? Having diabetes type two means we cannot process carbohydrate in the usual manner - storing it as fat, so it stays in our blood stream.
If we eat bread, porridge, more bread, potatoes, more potatoes, then it will mean high blood glucose levels. By cutting back on the carbohydrate it is usually possible to revert to normal numbers, and checking post meals shows how well the carbohydrate was dealt with. It looks as though you are eating four times a day, and many people find they get good results eating twice, or even just once a day, as it gives their body a rest from the onslaught of carbs.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, that food is too high in carbs. I note you are on Gliclazide but not Metformin? The latter is usually the first medication offered for T2 so worth asking for if you aren't on it. Get the SR (Slow Release) version if you can as it is less likely to cause bowel upset.

moe.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Has no one ever told you what the problem is? Having diabetes type two means we cannot process carbohydrate in the usual manner - storing it as fat, so it stays in our blood stream.
If we eat bread, porridge, more bread, potatoes, more potatoes, then it will mean high blood glucose levels. By cutting back on the carbohydrate it is usually possible to revert to normal numbers, and checking post meals shows how well the carbohydrate was dealt with. It looks as though you are eating four times a day, and many people find they get good results eating twice, or even just once a day, as it gives their body a rest from the onslaught of carbs.
Thanks for your reply

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@moe. ,

Sorry, I completely missed that you're on Gliclazide... Mix that with low carb eating and you could well hypo. I know I did. Test a lot, and if you can get help from a medical professional or a dietician, do.

moe.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Fasting 8.6
8am 2x weat bread
2hr later blood 10.8
10.30 porage
2hrs later 8.8
21/2hrs later13. 5
6pm egg and chips
3hrs later 12.9
Well thank you all for your replys I will take out as many cars as I can and keep testing this should show me what I shouldn't eat once this virus thing is sorted I will insist on education from my GP

Reactions: ianpspurs

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well thank you all for your replys I will take out as many cars as I can and keep testing this should show me what I shouldn't eat once this virus thing is sorted I will insist on education from my GP
Do note that many docs will still just tell you to keep eating "healthy" carbs and to take the ever increasing amounts of meds rather than tell you to go low carb.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You will get far more useful education from this forum than you will get from the doctors.

You have probably got some time before you can do some "proper" shopping, use that time to research lchf or keto. Read as much as you can and ask questions.

Take a look at dietdoctor.com.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - I assumed that the tablet was Metformin, as you are self funding a meter - you should be given one and the strips on prescription if you are on a glucose reducing medication. As you are seeing high numbers on Gliclazide reducing your intake of carbs cautiously, bit by bit should eventually result in more normal numbers - and less sugar to feed the UTIs. You could well end up eating carbs to counteract the medication - which is not a good thing, but it looks as though you have a way to go and time to sort out that problem if you come to it.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Moe, I agree about Low Carb, testing before + 2 hrs after meals so as to know which foods don't suit you (we all react slightly differently to amount and type of carbs eaten - even to time of day they are eaten, or what they are eaten with).
I also agree that you need to be careful in not reducing Crabs too hard too fast because of the Glic you are taking. You really need to do it in stages while at the same time reducing the dose of Gliclazide.

But don't think it's too complicated to manage, other members have both reduced their Blood Glucose numbers and have been able to come of medications including Glic completely.