Freestyle Libre

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Slight change of topic, but is anyone still having a problem with getting sensors, or has the supply "caught up" with demand.

Hi there, I don't know if it's the same everywhere but in my area (Midlands), the local pharmacies seem to have them in stock and they didn't a month ago. x

MarkHaZ123

Iv just changed my first one today after starting 2 weeks ago on the libre. The nurse talked me through putting it on making sure I knew what to do.

In 2 weeks I have really begun to learn what my bloods do and how things effect it like work, drinking, cycling, football and just chilling out

As you can see the ups and downs you find where things change and you can find adjustments to your insulin you need to make.

When out on the bike I'd never check my bloods and always go by how I feel. This can be dangerous. Yesterday I checked my bloods before going out and then twice when I'd stopped for breaks when I did 45 miles. I then checked at the end
I was just starting to hit hypo range on one check so straight away I had my cycling gels and half an energy bar. I was fine for the next 20+ miles

I'm sure if you pop into a pharmacy they will show you how to put it on and talk to you regarding any questions or if you ask your diabetic team. Mine at James Cook hospital are great.

I hope you get sorted as it really does help you out

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't hurt to apply the sensor, or remove it. The 'needle' is a flexible filament which I don't have to have anything to do with, as it's contained inside a big plastic applicator. Once applied, I cover it with a 'cuff' which I bought online. The cuff isn't waterproof, but it holds the sensor in place a bit more securely, which means that the sensor is less likely to be knocked off my arm. This has happened a few times, in fact it happened just now! Luckily, I am about one and a half days away from its finishing anyway, so no big deal: I just applied a new one. I am grateful to be eligible for Libre on prescription. It is helping me to better manage my blood sugar, though, personally, I was not great at interpreting the patterns and adjusting doses as there are so many variables. However, by dint of constant practice, I am improving my blood sugar profile. It's true that you don't get much time to input data to the Libre reader so I keep a paper record as well, (Shock horror! - but I just paddle my own canoe), on a Desang blood sugar diary.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Copernicus , in Cardiff, there was a rumour of supply problems, which did not materialise. Back to normal. If there is a temporary blip in supply, the Libre can still be used to test blood sugar and ketones with testing strips. While I wait.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't hurt to apply the sensor, or remove it. The 'needle' is a flexible filament which I don't have to have anything to do with, as it's contained inside a big plastic applicator. Once applied, I cover it with a 'cuff' which I bought online. The cuff isn't waterproof, but it holds the sensor in place a bit more securely, which means that the sensor is less likely to be knocked off my arm. This has happened a few times, in fact it happened just now! Luckily, I am about one and a half days away from its finishing anyway, so no big deal: I just applied a new one. I am grateful to be eligible for Libre on prescription. It is helping me to better manage my blood sugar, though, personally, I was not great at interpreting the patterns and adjusting doses as there are so many variables. However, by dint of constant practice, I am improving my blood sugar profile. It's true that you don't get much time to input data to the Libre reader so I keep a paper record as well, (Shock horror! - but I just paddle my own canoe), on a Desang blood sugar diary.

Hi,

Have you thought of using the Glimp app on your mobile phone & scanning?
You can calibrate the interpretation from the Libre to your meter & input dosage & carbs.

I now use a Miaomiao Bluetooth transmitter with the Libre with the Xdrip app which converts the Libre to a CGM, as opposed to a flash monitor system?

I place my sensor on the inside of the arm. Less chance to knock it & seems to lower "compression low" incidents during sleep.
I also use a cuff type armband protecting the Miaomiao & Libre. I remove the band & Miaomiao during bathing & place after I'm dry. It picks up where I took it off.

I've managed to use the latter set up to predict & curtail either lows or more importantly for me, potential highs with corrections.

Hope this helps.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Have you thought of using the Glimp app on your mobile phone & scanning?
You can calibrate the interpretation from the Libre to your meter & input dosage & carbs.

I now use a Miaomiao Bluetooth transmitter with the Libre with the Xdrip app which converts the Libre to a CGM, as opposed to a flash monitor system?

I place my sensor on the inside of the arm. Less chance to knock it & seems to lower "compression low" incidents during sleep.
I also use a cuff type armband protecting the Miaomiao & Libre. I remove the band & Miaomiao during bathing & place after I'm dry. It picks up where I took it off.

I've managed to use the latter set up to predict & curtail either lows or more importantly for me, potential highs with corrections.

Hope this helps.
All this information will help a lot! Many thanks indeed. That "compression low" is something I have never heard of, and it could well apply to me. I definitely need to deal more effectively with highs and lows+corrections and I will work through your suggestions, and probably ask my daughter or son to help with the technology!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi.

Firstly my immediate query. Since I have just taken off my first ever Freestyle Libre (I'm trailing it for a month) - which the doctor actually put on.
Any tips for putting on a new one? As I haven't got a clue. Does it have to go on a certain part of your body (mine was on my upper arm lower than a t-shirt would go - probably on one of the triceps)?
And how do you know if you've even attached it properly? (I guess it's a once only thing and if it doesn't attach then that's it - 2 weeks down the drain?).

Also, I've noticed since I took it off that my arm hurts a bit. Is that normal?

Is there anyone that has been using this blood sensor for a while (i.e. - several months).

I'm just wondering if it's been beneficial at all. Like did it help you to get your blood sugar level down/in range?

Any problems with it falling off? Failing? Did it restrict you doing anything at all?

Do you worry about any long term thing? I guess having whatever it is stuck in your arm 24/7 hasn't been safety tested over a long period of time.

Currently I'm back to finger pricking as I'm a bit 'meh' about trying to put a new one on.

As to question 1
https://www.google.com/search?q=put...ome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_uZFzXqWSM4jKgQbQm5i4BA2

localshop

@SugarBuzz if it doesn't suit you then fair enough, but having done a month with Libre I'd hate to go back to the dark ages of finger pricks. I use Libre in conjunction with the MiaoMiao which sends a reading to my Apple Watch every 5 minutes and in the last 4 weeks I've discovered that I was having quite a few night time hypos. As a result of this my Tresiba has reduced from 36u to 24u. Without the Libre I wouldn't have been able to make the informed decision to change my BI dose. It provides such insight into how your BG behaves between meals etc that I would have thought everyone would find it useful.

Reactions: Jaylee

Spoz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When the Dr applied your sensor they really should have walked you through the process and explained how to do it. I echo the ideas of looking at the picture leaflet (if you received one) looking at YouTube video etc.

As for where to put it, it needs to be on the back of the arm (can go between your arm and body or facing outward) to be covered by the NHS or they can take it back off you as this is the most accurate area.

I've been using it for half a year and it has taught me a lot about how insulin works in my body and how my glucose is overnight and I find those arrows to be extra helpful.

I generally don't pay TOO much attn to the actual numbers because there is always a delay and it's not as accurate, so I do blood test as I'm also on DAFNE.

The only thing I've not enjoyed about the libre is that I've found it a bit too easy to just scan willy nilly and become a bit less cautious with when I'm injecting. For example I can see that initially my BG has flown up because it's morning, I'm just salinity resistant then and I've eaten. Instead of waiting it out I can become worried I'm going hyper, start scanning a bit manically and end up taking insulin and going hypo later.

Overall it's a really helpful tool but remember to still be present with your diabetes and not just to act impulsively (if you're like me!)

Best of luck :)

Spoz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Iv just changed my first one today after starting 2 weeks ago on the libre. The nurse talked me through putting it on making sure I knew what to do.

In 2 weeks I have really begun to learn what my bloods do and how things effect it like work, drinking, cycling, football and just chilling out

As you can see the ups and downs you find where things change and you can find adjustments to your insulin you need to make.

When out on the bike I'd never check my bloods and always go by how I feel. This can be dangerous. Yesterday I checked my bloods before going out and then twice when I'd stopped for breaks when I did 45 miles. I then checked at the end
I was just starting to hit hypo range on one check so straight away I had my cycling gels and half an energy bar. I was fine for the next 20+ miles

I'm sure if you pop into a pharmacy they will show you how to put it on and talk to you regarding any questions or if you ask your diabetic team. Mine at James Cook hospital are great.

I hope you get sorted as it really does help you out

Some info that might help you here - I've been testing a lot recently and found often my libre tells me I'm hypo when actually I'm just a bit lower than normal.

Also my libre frequently tells me I've been hypo all night (and I do suffer night hypos) but I usually wake up for them. It might be that I'm far more low overnight than I actually thought, but a Dr also told me that any pressure on the libre can affect the accuracy - so perhaps when you're cycling you accuracy read inadvertently knocking the sensor and it's showing lower.

It's great for patterns but please remember to do blood tests to for more reliability.

POTS01

Spoz I am like you, I can scan like crazy and bolus like a madman some times. The sensor can be way off what is actually going on so you have to be careful.
Unless the arrow is going straight up or straight down I tend to give it 10mins if my bs is not to bad.
My bs can rise and fall drastically 5-10mmols in an hour. So I have to be fairly careful.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies if this has already been covered. I've just started using the libre kit, brilliant.

I don't have a smart phone, so I'm using the reader. Graphs etc great, but fiddly adding food and insulin events. I'm using an ap on my android tablet for a diary and transferring data across manually. There must be a better way, what do you do?

POTS01

Apologies if this has already been covered. I've just started using the libre kit, brilliant.

I don't have a smart phone, so I'm using the reader. Graphs etc great, but fiddly adding food and insulin events. I'm using an ap on my android tablet for a diary and transferring data across manually. There must be a better way, what do you do?

I do use a smart phone as it is really easy. I tend to know if I have not counted a meal correctly. I use the graphs to check for overnight bs and to try and check for any patterns.
I find it is easier to pick only 1 aspect to check at a time. Either basal rates over a 4hr period, bolus ratios, carb counting. Those are a few things.
If you try to do to much at once it's difficult to keep it up.

Reactions: UK T1 and SugarBuzz

ianslaney

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@SugarBuzz it certainly sound as though Libre is not for you. You seem to have talked your way out of it before you even started. If you are in the UK getting one of these on the NHS can be an uphill struggle for some. The fact that you seem not to be bothered and perfectly happy with your present management of this condition is good. Let someone who really wants it have the chance.
I agree, it is a wonderful device. If you are blessed with the opportunity to have one in the UK I look upon it as a privilege. The problems described would normally have been ironed out during the initial training sessions.

ECDRUM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@SugarBuzz . I have been using Libre, self funded for almost 4 years. It is transformational. I have reduced A1c from around 8.5 to 6.5. That halves my chances of severe complications. I can see hypos coming and take corrective action and this allows me to run much more appropriate BG levels without fear of hypos. I can honestly say that application does not hurt. The noise it makes is worse than any pain from the tiny needle. It is no more painful than a single finger prick. If you can tolerate insulin injections this should be no problem for you, the needle is finer and shorter. I have managed to dislodge 2 or 3 in that 3 years but always due to something I have done such as scraping it on a doorframe. My advice would be, If you want better control and thus to live longer then Have a word with yourself and get on with Libre. You have nothing to lose and health to gain.

Reactions: SugarBuzz

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I’ve self funded a few when I’ve been able to afford it more recently using dexcom as this can be cheaper.. but just a few days ago was offered the Libre on the nhs.. got the forms today to get a 6 month trial had to do the Libre açai course online.. so should have it soon:)

Reactions: UK T1

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Hi. I hope you've all been doing well whether under a lockdown or 'fake lockdown' (as in the UK).

Ok, so. I've just put on a new Freestyle Libre (changing arms as recommended) yet after a few seconds blood started streaming out from under it. It's stopped now. But I can obviously see blood under the sensor.
I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what did they do? Did you leave it to scab and then use it? Did it work properly?

I'm wondering if I should just pull it off (but then of course it will be 2 weeks merchandise wasted as it's a new one).

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I hope you've all been doing well whether under a lockdown or 'fake lockdown' (as in the UK).

Ok, so. I've just put on a new Freestyle Libre (changing arms as recommended) yet after a few seconds blood started streaming out from under it. It's stopped now. But I can obviously see blood under the sensor.
I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what did they do? Did you leave it to scab and then use it? Did it work properly?

I'm wondering if I should just pull it off (but then of course it will be 2 weeks merchandise wasted as it's a new one).
If it isn't causing any pain or anything just leave it and if it works then its fine, if not call and report it xx