12 week Isolation

RobbieT1D

Type 1 Diabetic friends...... What’s the crack with this 12 week health condition isolation? I’ve heard it mentioned but I’m obviously concerned?

Any ideas, do we have to Isolate, I’m worried about work etc but obviously I know if I catch this I’m going to be poorly.

I’ve been T1D for 8 years.

christine1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type 1 Diabetic friends...... What’s the crack with this 12 week health condition isolation? I’ve heard it mentioned but I’m obviously concerned?

Any ideas, do we have to Isolate, I’m worried about work etc but obviously I know if I catch this I’m going to be poorly.

I'm worried too as I'm just about to be made redundant but if I'm locked away for 12 weeks with 4 weeks notice period that leaves me 8 weeks without pay as I'm not eligible for redundancy. I am working from home now but there's definately questions we need answers to! Do we need doctors notes?

dowson39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes from the weekend those with conditions that could cause you to die from covid 19 have been advised to self isolate for 12 weeks.

dowson39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has to benefits you could get a sick not and claim esa from week 1

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Yes from the weekend those with conditions that could cause you to die from covid 19 have been advised to self isolate for 12 weeks.

With respect, being alive is enough to cause you to die from Covid-19.

The jury is out but well controlled T1 and T2 shouldn't increase your risk by a great deal.

Poorly controlled T1 and T2 does up your risk.
I suspect that much of the risk associated with diabetes is due to the comorbidities that poorly controlled T2s suffer from.
Heart, circulation, poor healing. That sort of thing.

I'm not sure that T1 or T2 without some other complication such as age requires you to self isolate.

dowson39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am already on esa but for those who are not I understand how frightening it must be

nickybrown47

I was told to self isolate for 3 months for Saturday past ..

nickybrown47

I was told to self isolate for 3 months on Saturday past by my employer .. now there wanting a letter from the doc to say I’m in that group .. if I don’t have one I might be eligible to go back and lose my pay !! Totally confused right now .. my doctor is no giving out letters as the amount would be overwhelming .. after all they were the ones told to go off for my own safety .. any advice would be grey appreciated ..

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I was told to self isolate for 3 months on Saturday past by my employer .. now there wanting a letter from the doc to say I’m in that group .. if I don’t have one I might be eligible to go back and lose my pay !! Totally confused right now .. my doctor is no giving out letters as the amount would be overwhelming .. after all they were the ones told to go off for my own safety .. any advice would be grey appreciated ..

Most diabetics don’t fall into the isolate for 12 weeks category unless they have an hba1c of over 79.. my partner was told to isolate today as she has a hba1c of 99

The exception to the above will be those that have other very serious illnesses like cancer or severe asthma

So you may not get your letter

Brookers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi RobbieT1D (and fellow T1-ers). I had a consultation with a geneticist at Oxford University Hospital just yesterday. My late-onset T1 is due to a genetic 'abnormality' in my Mitochondrial DNA (gene 3243 apparently - inherited from my mother). He was very firm in stating that I should Self-Isolate for 12 weeks because this hidden and little known abnormality can also cause organ failure - this is exactly how the body reacts (over-reacts) to Coronovirus meaning a high risk of coronovirus complications. It just isn't worth taking a chance... IMHO.