C peptide test

Samantha1991

Hello,

I am newly diagnosed (they are assuming I am type 1 and I am on insulin), but they are waiting on tests to confirm.

I spoke to the nurse today and she said my c peptide test was back and was in normal ranges. But this didn’t mean I didn’t have type 1, because it could be the honeymoon period. I needed to wait for my antibody test to confirm..l apparently the c peptide data alone wasn’t enough.

I can’t find any information on this online, but I was hoping someone might be able to explain why I am still producing c peptides (if, as assumed I am type 1?) and maybe explain a bit more about the tests for me?

Thanks In Advance

Samantha

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I assume you are older rather than younger and hence you would be a LADA. Late onset T1 can come on very slowly and in my case it was up to 10 years!. During this time your beta cells gradually fail. My first C-Peptide at the start showed my insulin was a the bottom of the 'normal' range. More recently it had gone down a lot. Be aware that the antibody test isn't conclusive. If it is negative it doesn't mean you aren't T1. Viruses etc can kill beta cells and not just the GAD antibodies; many in the NHS don't understand that. In my opinion the C-Peptide test is the key. If you don't produce insulin you are T1.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hello,

I am newly diagnosed (they are assuming I am type 1 and I am on insulin), but they are waiting on tests to confirm.

I spoke to the nurse today and she said my c peptide test was back and was in normal ranges. But this didn’t mean I didn’t have type 1, because it could be the honeymoon period. I needed to wait for my antibody test to confirm..l apparently the c peptide data alone wasn’t enough.

I can’t find any information on this online, but I was hoping someone might be able to explain why I am still producing c peptides (if, as assumed I am type 1?) and maybe explain a bit more about the tests for me?

Thanks In Advance

Samantha

In simple terms the honeymoon period means somedays you can produce a lot or some insulin others you may not produce any The honeymoon period can last from as little as a few days to a couple of years

If your blood test was done on a good day then yes you may have a fair bit of cpeptide

As a T1 though you should probably have had antibodies which are produced as your pancreas is attacked... but not always.. I always tested gad negative

I spent 10 years arguing between T1 and T2 and only recently got classed T1

But keep chasing a definitive answer.. they will tell you it doesn’t make much difference but it does.. treatment differed between the types.. as a T2 there’s hope to get off insulin T1 there not

Good luck