covid=19 no longer high risk ?

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
What do you guys make of this ?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-co...TzF-Szl6Brqwb40D4FFxMYxszs#status-of-covid-19

Status of COVID-19
As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

The 4 nations public health HCID group made an interim recommendation in January 2020 to classify COVID-19 as an HCID. This was based on consideration of the UK HCID criteria about the virus and the disease with information available during the early stages of the outbreak. Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.

The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP) is also of the opinion that COVID-19 should no longer be classified as an HCID.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It's not as deadly as ebola, SARS, MERS etc. (Look at the list of HCID diseases and imagine how much trouble the world would be in if they became as widespread as COVID).

I don't think it changes anything?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it just means it’s no longer an unknown entity rather than a judgment of overall risk.

Last edited:

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
It's not as deadly as ebola, SARS, MERS etc. (Look at the list of HCID diseases and imagine how much trouble the world would be in if they became as widespread as COVID).

I don't think it changes anything?
But we are told daily on the news how deadly it is .

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definition of HCID
In the UK, a high consequence infectious disease (HCID) is defined according to the following criteria:

• acute infectious disease
  • typically has a high case-fatality rate
  • may not have effective prophylaxis or treatment
  • often difficult to recognise and detect rapidly
  • ability to spread in the community and within healthcare settings
  • requires an enhanced individual, population and system response to ensure it is managed effectively, efficiently and safely

And these responses address this list (rightly or wrongly)

They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.

The need to have a national, coordinated response remains, but this is being met by the government’s COVID-19 response.

Cases of COVID-19 are no longer managed by HCID treatment centres only

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But we are told daily on the news how deadly it is .
Not on a confirmed cases basis. Sars, Mers, Ebola etc all have more people die once infected than covid 19.

It is deadly, to a very small minority of people who catch it. For most who catch it, it is not deadly. It is only when. A lot of people catch it that the numbers of deaths are high. But as a total proportion of those infected it is low. (Well lower than the above examples )

Reactions: WackyJacky64
D

Deleted member 308541

Covid-19 no longer high risk?

It's still killing people though, and we are still at high risk of catching it and dying.

When the Australian federal government say it's all clear and no longer high risk, I will believe that to a certain extent.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's still killing people though, and we are still at high risk of catching it and dying.

When the Australian federal government say it's all clear and no longer high risk, I will believe that to a certain extent.
We are high risk of catching it (80% maybe?) . We, overall, are at low risk of dying (% varies but around 1-3% seems frequently quoted. It could be a lot less if there is a lot of undetected cases we don’t yet know about). I would feel a lot happier if it was lower still mind you.

basingirl72

I got ill 7 weeks ago. Fever, cough, strained voice, cough got worse quite chesty. Went to doctor, he told
Me I had a lung infection and gave me antibiotics. Weeks later no better so went back, they said the infection was gone but it would probably take a few weeks to get over the symptoms. 7 weeks later and I’m no where near as bad as I was but
Still not better. The frightening part is when the chesty cough dries up and the cough seems to cover your airways and your just gasping for breath. Then the pain in the chest and the intercostal muscles. I’m really fit and this has completely wiped me out. That said I’m still here! Now I’m worried because they say there are 2 strains of covid 19. What will happen if I get hit by the second one before I’m properly healed.
And why on earth did they not
Tell me I had covid 19 and to self isolate?

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
This could turn a lot of peoples opinions around causing untold more numbers that the NHS will never be able to help.

Reactions: Robbity

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's still killed a lot more people than MERS and SARS combined.
And I will do my level best not to be one of them.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I got ill 7 weeks ago. Fever, cough, strained voice, cough got worse quite chesty. Went to doctor, he told
Me I had a lung infection and gave me antibiotics. Weeks later no better so went back, they said the infection was gone but it would probably take a few weeks to get over the symptoms. 7 weeks later and I’m no where near as bad as I was but
Still not better. The frightening part is when the chesty cough dries up and the cough seems to cover your airways and your just gasping for breath. Then the pain in the chest and the intercostal muscles. I’m really fit and this has completely wiped me out. That said I’m still here! Now I’m worried because they say there are 2 strains of covid 19. What will happen if I get hit by the second one before I’m properly healed.
7 weeks ago... 7 days ago we all lived in a very different world... 7 days from now is an unknown just as it was 7 weeks ago.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's still killed a lot more people than MERS and SARS combined.
And I will do my level best not to be one of them.
Agreed entirely, but it’s because it’s much more widespread rather than much more deadly in itself . Your chances of catching SARS was a lot less partly because it was harder to catch and partly because it was in comparison pretty contained and you were a lot less likely to even be exposed to it.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-co...TzF-Szl6Brqwb40D4FFxMYxszs#status-of-covid-19

Status of COVID-19
As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

I would remain wary, especially when so called experts are still using terms like 'we think', 'probably' and 'possibly' in answering the public's questions on the virus (as I've seen on various TV programmes over the past few days).

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"
The UK government's scientific advisers believe that the chances of dying from a coronavirus infection are between 0.5% and 1%.
This is lower than the rate of death among confirmed cases - which is 4% globally in WHO figures and 5% in the UK as of March 23 - because not all infections are confirmed by testing.
Each country has its own way of deciding who gets tested, so comparing case numbers or apparent death rates across countries can also be misleading.
Death rates also depend on a range of factors like your age and general health, and the care you can access."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51674743

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got ill 7 weeks ago.
Did they give any diagnosis? Confirmed by tests?

Depending on where you especially

Did you even have it? - only an antibody test will confirm it now and that’s if they are still detectable (that isn’t the same as still having immunity I understand btw)

Did they know it was a possibility?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This could turn a lot of peoples opinions around causing untold more numbers that the NHS will never be able to help.
Do you mean they’ll take it less seriously and therefore take risks?

I doubt many will even know of the reclassification

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

People come here for answers and will read this and everything we write.... We MUST all be aware now how what we write can adversely effect others. Most here know not to give medical advice and most of us don't. However this situation will worsen before many letters arrive.

I can be quite hot-headed at times as I'm very passionate in my desire to help... I tend to speak from experience most of the time.

It is never about the money in my book. Family and health are everything!
Po

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is also the as-yet-unknown factor of what lasting consequences the virus may have on a patient if they recover from the initial fever etc. Permanent damage to lung tissue etc. That aside, enough people are dying of it to make it a realistic cause for concern: a change in official classification changes little.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

I don’t think they have reclassified they have just put more levels in.
We are still at risk which is what they said before but now there is a massively at risk level.
We were never told to self isolate just socially distance and be very careful. That hasn’t changed.
It is still there (saw it the other day ) about diabetes and the 12 weeks. It’s just now there is the other level above us that have to stay home and shield

Reactions: slikwipman