"10 year heart risk" what do you do to lower your cholesterol?

Tannith

BANNED
I have this thing they call a "10 year heart risk". I expect many others here have it too. What do you all do to lower your cholesterol?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As an older woman the statistics show that I am less likely to die if my cholesterol is at the upper end of normal so I do nothing.

Reactions: Freema

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These calculators such as QRISK3 add a big risk factor if you have diabetes. In practice cholesterol is a poor indicator of all cause mortality. People who have heart attacks have lower than average cholesterol, not higher.

The real cause of strokes and heart attacks is glucose spikes, which happens when you eat high carb food. Glucose spikes cause inflammation. Cholesterol is the mechanism the body uses to repair the inflammation.

Reactions: Freema

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This is not a personal statement directed at you, Tannith. When I read the title of your thread my immediate thought was that that is the second question that should have been asked. The first being 'Why should I lower my cholesterol?' To make an informed decision one must look as closely as one is able at the information as one can comfortably understand. That information must, therefore, come from a reliable source.
Below is a link to a fifty minute video of Dr. A seem Malhotra, a London based cardiologist who is very widely respected in his field. I am putting up the link not to dissuade you, personally, from lowering your cholesterol but to provide a little more information for members generally.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have this thing they call a "10 year heart risk". I expect many others here have it too. What do you all do to lower your cholesterol?

If you do want to lower your cholesterol, then the way to do it is to eat as many Omega 3 foods as you can and eat as little Omega 6 as you can, and eat low carbs at all times. Omega 6 is the dangerous one as it is highly inflammatory. Omega 3 clears away inflammation, but if there is too much Omega 6, the Omega 3 can't keep up. (That is a basic very simple explanation)

http://www.srnutrition.co.uk/2014/02/the-new-fat-problem-omega-6-fatty-acids

Tannith

BANNED
We had a thread a few weeks ago that had some brilliant observations in it about the accuracy and validity of this kind of risk assessment. From what I recall, most people considered the criteria used to be bunkum.

Here is the thread so you can read it all for yourself.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/nhs-heart-age-calculator.124896/
I did not actually mean the heart age calculator, though that will be interesting to look at. I meant the NHS 10 year risk test which GPs do to calculate your risk of a heart attack or stroke in the next 10 years. It involves a cholesterol test analysing your cholesterol, and other things. I "failed" it and was advised by my GP to lower my cholesterol. Hence the question.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did not actually mean the heart age calculator, though that will be interesting to look at. I meant the NHS 10 year risk test which GPs do to calculate your risk of a heart attack or stroke in the next 10 years. It involves a cholesterol test analysing your cholesterol, and other things. I "failed" it and was advised by my GP to lower my cholesterol. Hence the question.

This is the Q-risk score and is just as daft as any of the other risk calculators

https://qrisk.org/three/

Having diabetes increases your risk by masses. Smoking increases your risk by a lot less than diabetes. Your risk increases every birthday. Play about with it and you will see what I mean.

Reactions: Guzzler

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A long time ago research was done on diets looking at the long-term results and if people had kept to what the book said. Atkins come out best because people who did not keep to it nevertheless reduced how much processed food and sugar they had….

We may talk about low carb meals etc and carbs changing into sugar, but I expect a lot of readers get the most benefits by just reducing the number of canned drinks they have! As soon as someone believes that their actions can change their BG, there BG is likely to improve.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't do anything to lower my cholesterol. I'm not worried about it.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I start my day usually with porridge and coconut oil and since that My blood pressure needs no medication neither does my cholesterol.
So called bad cholesterol down the good stuff up.
Not what a GP would call perfect but I don't expect perfect and he shouldn't either.
Worrying about all this stuff cannot be good for people.
Taking way to much medications can't be good either.
Remember all medication is toxic.
Western medicine doesn't cure it alleviates.
Often creates or exacerbates other problems.
Sometimes we have to put our medications up but most people don't seem to ever think that maybe it's time to reduce it a little and eventually a lot.
I'm convinced that most of our toxic medicines benefit mostly the shareholders in the pharmaceutical companies.
Yes I'm being serious.
I put my medicines up occasionally but it's never long before I reduce them again.
I've eliminated blood pressure pills statins and T2 medications completely.
If I have to go back on them for a while I will but I don't think I'll ever be convinced that all this toxic **** is good in any way long term.
Yes of course there's stuff you can't do without.
I have to take a very strong opiate daily which no doubt I'm physically addicted to now plus other pain relief but believe me I lower them after periods of raising them.
I take valium occasionally.
My diet is mostly based on avoid the factory a much as possible.
My surgery have come to accept that yes I actually know my body better than they do.
Yes I'm the best T2 on their books and the cheapest to look after.
I have now a good working relationship with the docs at my surgery .... took a bit of doing but they now listen with interest and are more helpful than ever.
All because I'm an avid reader of this place.
This place and it's links and stopping smoking are the best things that have happened to my health.
If you're unhealthy and still smoking then I think that should be treated as a mental health issue.
Ten year heart risk?
Sounds like more toxic mumbo jumbo to me.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I start my day usually with porridge and coconut oil and since that My blood pressure needs no medication neither does my cholesterol.
So called bad cholesterol down the good stuff up.
Not what a GP would call perfect but I don't expect perfect and he shouldn't either.
Worrying about all this stuff cannot be good for people.
Taking way to much medications can't be good either.
Remember all medication is toxic.
Western medicine doesn't cure it alleviates.
Often creates or exacerbates other problems.
Sometimes we have to put our medications up but most people don't seem to ever think that maybe it's time to reduce it a little and eventually a lot.
I'm convinced that most of our toxic medicines benefit mostly the shareholders in the pharmaceutical companies.
Yes I'm being serious.
I put my medicines up occasionally but it's never long before I reduce them again.
I've eliminated blood pressure pills statins and T2 medications completely.
If I have to go back on them for a while I will but I don't think I'll ever be convinced that all this toxic **** is good in any way long term.
Yes of course there's stuff you can't do without.
I have to take a very strong opiate daily which no doubt I'm physically addicted to now plus other pain relief but believe me I lower them after periods of raising them.
I take valium occasionally.
My diet is mostly based on avoid the factory a much as possible.
My surgery have come to accept that yes I actually know my body better than they do.
Yes I'm the best T2 on their books and the cheapest to look after.
I have now a good working relationship with the docs at my surgery .... took a bit of doing but they now listen with interest and are more helpful than ever.
All because I'm an avid reader of this place.
This place and it's links and stopping smoking are the best things that have happened to my health.
If you're unhealthy and still smoking then I think that should be treated as a mental health issue.
Ten year heart risk?
Sounds like more toxic mumbo jumbo to me.

That is a very good post. Just thought I'd tell you in person rather than taking the easy option of pushing the 'like' knob.

uptome

Type of diabetes
Type 2

My cholesterol has dropped from 7.5 to 3.9 on my last reading. I take 10mg Atorvastatin. I take cod liver oil. 1000 IU and I use Rapeseed oil in all my cooking. My doctor has stopped me obtaining my next Atorvastatin as he wants to review my medication or maybe look at what changes I've made for it to drop so low. I also walk for 40 - 60 mins in the morning with my hounds from hell. They love the walk and I have to say.... I don't, but something is doing me good. I should also say that my sugar is also good and at every diabetic review over the past year or so is within range and very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brunneria

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Porridge and high fat diet.