Type 2 confused

Clarkey1967

Hi, I’m type 2 diabetic and am currently self isolating as I thought that was what advised. I have 2 jobs both of which I’m classed as a key worker. I’m an LSA in a junior school and a checkout assistant in a supermarket. So should I be isolating myself or social distancing?
Many thanks for any advice

Chrisgreen6

I am in the same position with type 2 and asthma and high blood presure. I work in a local co-op/petrol station so social distancing is almost impossible. After my shift last thursday I started to self isolate. Now it looks like I am not going to get paid as no-one in my house has symptoms. From this site I thought this was the advice and I will continue to do the 12 weeks paid or not!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi, I’m type 2 diabetic and am currently self isolating as I thought that was what advised. I have 2 jobs both of which I’m classed as a key worker. I’m an LSA in a junior school and a checkout assistant in a supermarket. So should I be isolating myself or social distancing?
Many thanks for any advice
Hi Clarkey1967, Unless you have other more serious co-morbidities you are not in need of what the government now call 'shielding'. So the advice is that you should merely be social distancing. This is because although at higher risk you aren't at the highest risk which is purely for those who have things like cystic fibrosis or Cancer for which the treatments seriously compromise the immune system.

It's confusing how the terms keep changing, but isolating as opposed to shielding is for those who already have (or live with somebody who has) the symptoms of Coronavirus.

If your T2 is well controlled then from what I've read you're only at a slightly raised risk, especially if you are younger than 65 and not Obese. Do you test your BG ? What was your last HbA1C?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I am in the same position with type 2 and asthma and high blood presure. I work in a local co-op/petrol station so social distancing is almost impossible. After my shift last thursday I started to self isolate. Now it looks like I am not going to get paid as no-one in my house has symptoms. From this site I thought this was the advice and I will continue to do the 12 weeks paid or not!
Hi Chrisgreen6, Fromm just comparing what you tell us with what Clarkey tells us, you appear to be at slightly more risk than they are, but again you don't appear to fall into the category requiring shielding, so the advice is just for social distancing.

However if you can afford to do so (and if you employer will keep your job for you) it may well be worth taking extra precautions for a few weeks until after the peak is reached.
From the modelling I have seen the peak for the UK is likely to be in only 2 to 3 weeks, so depending upon how this plays out in your local area you may be a lot safer in only 5 to 6 weeks and so not need to 'self isolate' for a whole 12 weeks.

Reactions: Chrisgreen6