Type 2 How many carbs??

Clemm

Newly diagnosed type 2 and following a low carb diet as directed by GP but I've no idea how many carbs I should be having. Any ideas please?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Newly diagnosed type 2 and following a low carb diet as directed by GP but I've no idea how many carbs I should be having. Any ideas please?
Do you use a glucose meter to see how many carbs your body can handle?
There are many useful answers in this thread about how to decide on how many carbs you choose to eat. You may like to reread it, and the links provided in that thread as well :)

Good luck!
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/adrift.172457/

Reactions: Clemm

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no magic number as a lot depends on your activity levels and natural metabolism. I would suggest setting an upper limit of 150gm/day and see how you go.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well zero are required so as low as you can maybe?
I aim for fewer than 20g per day.

Or should that be less than I can never remember?

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Be aware of everything you eat you need to look at the label on every item you buy and add them up, you will soon see the foods to avoid and the foods you know are low on carbs. You may need to give up on things like pasta, rice, potatoes, crisps, chocolate, sweets and several other items of food that will give you a higher total at the end of the day than you should be aiming at.
Be realistic at what you set your total at and stay at it... everyday.

For me that is an average total of 30g a day. At that level my meter readings stay at a level I'm happy with at 5.2 over a 90 day average. I am happy with that... See my signature at bottom of each post.

If you have not got a meter you really must have one to see the effects of what you eat on your BS level.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I work on the basis that I should eat as few (or many) carbs as I need to keep my glucose levels down and stable, which is usually no more than 50g carbs maximum a day. I rely on my meter to guide me, and as we all may have different responses to carby foods, the advice you've been given regarding using meters is IMO the very best we can give you..

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Depends on your goals. If asap remission (or close) is a goal then 20 or less is preferable / up to 30. I would highly recommend tracking food in the early days formally, before and after blood glucose (30 mins, 1 hour and 2 hours), giving meals a score, such as satiated, still hungry, bloated etc. Most Type 2's are higher carbohydrate intolerant, so starchy carbs (rice, pasta, bread etc) cause a disproportionate response within the body. My advice is believe your blood glucose monitor and put fingers in your ears to anything else, as your monitor (give it a name) will not lie, pretend certain things are alright or be a slave to ideology.

My carbs are broccoli, asparagus, leeks, greens, tomatoes, courgettes, celeriac, cauliflour, onions, garlic, coconut, nuts apart from cashews. I also have butternut squash, which should be tested for reaction.