Newly diagnosed! Hi and help!

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
hi mike, I’m still unclear on so many aspects. I’m sure I’ll get there but it just feels like walking through a thick fog with no idea which direction to go! Food wise I do feel like I’ve made significant changes to my diet but clearly have a way to go. Really appreciating all the advice on here.

thanks
Hi Buzzer81 I know how you feel. My GP was not interested in ' reversing ' my type 2 db so I went ahead myself using the Prof Roy Taylor Newcastle diet and then low carb , self learned from the internet and the books of Dr Mosley, and low carb down under on youtube. When I asked about a blood glucose monitor the GP's poo -poohed the idea , " because we don't want you to be worrying yourself "" [ ! ] Terrible - but don't worry, the info is all out there. A useful site on you tube to start testing is Beating Diabetes by Dennis Pollock. Great fun !

Reactions: Buzzer81

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
I don’t use strips (mine uses a cassette) but when I did I slid the strip into the base of blood drop to scoop it up. At least you can see the two points at contact that way. But if your way is working then go with it.
@Buzzer81 my monitor is Accuchek Active, simple with no bells or whistles - I don't like the fancy programmable types

Buzzer81

@Buzzer81 my monitor is Accuchek Active, simple with no bells or whistles - I don't like the fancy programmable types

Hi Hooha, thanks for your message, how have you got on? Are you in remission yet? Sounds like you’ve done well and certainly inspires me to hear that. I’ll check out that site.

I bought the book ‘the fast 800’ by Dr Michael Mosley which I am about to read. My monitoring device is by a company called Sinocare and is the Safe AQ voice version. I wonder if anyone else has used it?!?!

Buzzer81

Hi. I was 112 and down to 36 three months later by being very strict with carbs. My fasting reading was 22!No meds. Have a read around. There some amazingly helpful and experienced people in there.

thabks Flora, that’s really great to hear. Well done you, that’s great work! I hope to follow your lead and do something similar!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s not a programmable fancy one. It’s an accuchek mobile. Just a replaceable cassette you drop in and it rotates around for 50 tests then swap it. Less fiddly than strips being inserted and disposed of each test.

Buzzer81

I’ve had a full day of testing.
FBG: 9am -7mmol
Pre food - 5.1
2hrs after food - 7.3mmol

I was shocked by the last reading as I had some whole meal pasta with bolognaise. I was sure it would sky rocket my reading.

anyway. One full day of testing done and those results don’t look too shabby to me.... albeit I am a novice at this. mastering the blood test procedure though and finding that easier if a little painful... not so much at the time but later on.

Perhaps tomorrow morning will see a higher reason from the pasta, we shall see. Night all

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Congratulations and great results. You've been given great advice from everyone so I am just going g to say welcome and good luck.

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had a full day of testing.
FBG: 9am -7mmol
Pre food - 5.1
2hrs after food - 7.3mmol

I was shocked by the last reading as I had some whole meal pasta with bolognaise. I was sure it would sky rocket my reading.

anyway. One full day of testing done and those results don’t look too shabby to me.... albeit I am a novice at this. mastering the blood test procedure though and finding that easier if a little painful... not so much at the time but later on.

Perhaps tomorrow morning will see a higher reason from the pasta, we shall see. Night all

That's awesome, well done!
For a while I tested 1h and 2h after food to see how it would affect me as often I was not as high as I'd expect after some meals and I wanted to find out how far up the spike went.
Turns out sweet potato is good for before training, same for bananas. I got away with a small handful of wholegrain pasta and vegetables before training too and a small amount of oats in my morning yoghurt was ok too - that was when I was active and training 6x a week but with Corona cancelling training, I reduced my carbs further as I can't handle them as well.
Had to up my basal insulin this week too and sort of got an ok level again of maintain good control.

I found especially at the start it's all about testing and learning. I used MySugr app to keep track and look at trends until I had an idea on what worked for me.

Buzzer81

That's awesome, well done!
For a while I tested 1h and 2h after food to see how it would affect me as often I was not as high as I'd expect after some meals and I wanted to find out how far up the spike went.
Turns out sweet potato is good for before training, same for bananas. I got away with a small handful of wholegrain pasta and vegetables before training too and a small amount of oats in my morning yoghurt was ok too - that was when I was active and training 6x a week but with Corona cancelling training, I reduced my carbs further as I can't handle them as well.
Had to up my basal insulin this week too and sort of got an ok level again of maintain good control.

I found especially at the start it's all about testing and learning. I used MySugr app to keep track and look at trends until I had an idea on what worked for me.

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I’ll check out that app, ok currently logging food with carbs & Cals app.... which has been good to monitor my intake.

Overall I’m doing quite well but due to corona my movement and physical exercise has dropped to zero so don’t need much food. I spent quite a few hours today painting and I was exhausted way quicker than I should have been. So will need to find ways to get more energy without loading carbs.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! Thank you for your reply. I’ll check out that app, ok currently logging food with carbs & Cals app.... which has been good to monitor my intake.

Overall I’m doing quite well but due to corona my movement and physical exercise has dropped to zero so don’t need much food. I spent quite a few hours today painting and I was exhausted way quicker than I should have been. So will need to find ways to get more energy without loading carbs.
Don't worry about it. It takes a little while for your body to adjust to low carb, say, a week or two. Fatigue won't last long, after a while you'll actually end up with more energy than you know what to do with. In the meantime, protein and fats can keep you going, and make sure you keep your electrolytes up!!!