Type 1 Co vid risk and ssp?

Emsdevoma

Hello,

Just looking for some advice and help as can’t seem to find any answer online?

I have decided as from today I’m going to isolate and am not going to go to work (not sure for how long) I work in a care home and at this time I can only say I’m terrified and unprotected!

As I’m a type 1 diabetic when isolating from work without symptoms will I be entitled to ssp?

Many thanks

Joanna_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I have been closely reading fellow diabetics posts as I am in the same boat and am too struggling with information regarding statutory sick pay (SSP) when self-isolating for 12 weeks due to coronavirus.

Just a little bit of background. I have type 1 diabetes and asthma. I work as a healthcare professional (for a private company) and therefore unable to practice “social distancing”.

Regarding the SSP – it depends on your companies’ policies and procedures. My company is firmly sticking to the absence/sickness procedure which states that after 7 days of sickness; I need to provide a sick note from a healthcare professional to specify the need to self-isolate for the 12 weeks.

Now, if this situation resonates with you, these are the steps I personally took and the advice I have been given by the following professional bodies.

Firstly, I contacted my GP and asked for guidance whether I should self-isolate. My GP practice has specifically told me that I need to self-isolate for the upcoming 12 weeks. Due to the number of enquires, GP’s are not sending out the notes however I was told to contact 111 asap who would be able to issue self-isolating notes. If your employer needs confirmation of this, they can always (with your consent) contact your practice to check that information.

Then, you can contact 111 and again explain your situation and if 111 also advises you to self-isolate for 12 weeks; this conversation will be saved as a transcript which will also be available (with your consent) for your employer in case they need confirmation.

Both GP and 111 are healthcare professionals and if they advise you to self-isolate that should be enough evidence for SSP.

From my understanding (of calling 111 multiple times), the only self-isolating notes they are able to certify are:

- For 6 days if you’re experiencing symptoms,

- For 14 days if anyone in your household is displaying symptoms.

I have been personally advised by a 111 manager to complete self-isolating notes for 6 days and provide these to my employer every 6 days for the upcoming 12 weeks. Again, this advice will be on the transcript from the phone conversation.

The NHS guidance website “Fit for Work” also advised me that 111 self-isolating notes should be sufficient enough in terms of evidence for employers.

For further confirmation of the SSP and how it looks like in terms of legal guidance; I contacted the citizens’ advice bureau and my union (GMB).

From the GMB’s perspective it looks like that it is up to the employer to decide upon granting SSP. However, the 111 notes should be enough evidence as they are based upon a healthcare professionals’ advice. You can always ask your employer to be classed as Furlough employee and receive 80% of your pay.

The citizens’ advice has said that they are waiting upon further government advice regarding vulnerable individuals with chronic illnesses such as diabetes. Again, I was reassured that these notes should be enough. However, if for some unprecedented reason your employer is still refusing to grant you SSP and your union agrees that they are working in line with their policies and procedures; the only thing left to do is to request unpaid leave and seek advice on available benefits.

Furthermore, the official government advice states:

“Do I need a sick note?

From Friday 20 March onwards, those who have COVID-19 or are advised to self-isolate will be able to obtain an “isolation note” by visiting NHS 111 online and completing an online form, rather than visiting a doctor. For COVID-19 cases this replaces the usual need to provide a “fit note” after seven days of sickness absence. Isolation notes will also be accepted by Jobcentre Plus as evidence of your inability to attend.”

Many car finance lenders, mortgage lenders etc. seem to be accommodating in these troubling times therefore get in touch with them ASAP!

I have also found many useful links on the government sires, citizens advice and Acas which have plenty of information on them. I have attached them below.

Hope this helps!

Emsdevoma

Hello,

I have been closely reading fellow diabetics posts as I am in the same boat and am too struggling with information regarding statutory sick pay (SSP) when self-isolating for 12 weeks due to coronavirus.

Just a little bit of background. I have type 1 diabetes and asthma. I work as a healthcare professional (for a private company) and therefore unable to practice “social distancing”.

Regarding the SSP – it depends on your companies’ policies and procedures. My company is firmly sticking to the absence/sickness procedure which states that after 7 days of sickness; I need to provide a sick note from a healthcare professional to specify the need to self-isolate for the 12 weeks.

Now, if this situation resonates with you, these are the steps I personally took and the advice I have been given by the following professional bodies.

Firstly, I contacted my GP and asked for guidance whether I should self-isolate. My GP practice has specifically told me that I need to self-isolate for the upcoming 12 weeks. Due to the number of enquires, GP’s are not sending out the notes however I was told to contact 111 asap who would be able to issue self-isolating notes. If your employer needs confirmation of this, they can always (with your consent) contact your practice to check that information.

Then, you can contact 111 and again explain your situation and if 111 also advises you to self-isolate for 12 weeks; this conversation will be saved as a transcript which will also be available (with your consent) for your employer in case they need confirmation.

Both GP and 111 are healthcare professionals and if they advise you to self-isolate that should be enough evidence for SSP.

From my understanding (of calling 111 multiple times), the only self-isolating notes they are able to certify are:

- For 6 days if you’re experiencing symptoms,

- For 14 days if anyone in your household is displaying symptoms.

I have been personally advised by a 111 manager to complete self-isolating notes for 6 days and provide these to my employer every 6 days for the upcoming 12 weeks. Again, this advice will be on the transcript from the phone conversation.

The NHS guidance website “Fit for Work” also advised me that 111 self-isolating notes should be sufficient enough in terms of evidence for employers.

For further confirmation of the SSP and how it looks like in terms of legal guidance; I contacted the citizens’ advice bureau and my union (GMB).

From the GMB’s perspective it looks like that it is up to the employer to decide upon granting SSP. However, the 111 notes should be enough evidence as they are based upon a healthcare professionals’ advice. You can always ask your employer to be classed as Furlough employee and receive 80% of your pay.

The citizens’ advice has said that they are waiting upon further government advice regarding vulnerable individuals with chronic illnesses such as diabetes. Again, I was reassured that these notes should be enough. However, if for some unprecedented reason your employer is still refusing to grant you SSP and your union agrees that they are working in line with their policies and procedures; the only thing left to do is to request unpaid leave and seek advice on available benefits.

Furthermore, the official government advice states:

“Do I need a sick note?

From Friday 20 March onwards, those who have COVID-19 or are advised to self-isolate will be able to obtain an “isolation note” by visiting NHS 111 online and completing an online form, rather than visiting a doctor. For COVID-19 cases this replaces the usual need to provide a “fit note” after seven days of sickness absence. Isolation notes will also be accepted by Jobcentre Plus as evidence of your inability to attend.”

Many car finance lenders, mortgage lenders etc. seem to be accommodating in these troubling times therefore get in touch with them ASAP!

I have also found many useful links on the government sires, citizens advice and Acas which have plenty of information on them. I have attached them below.

Hope this helps!

Thankyou for such a detailed reply, diabetes is a real gray area around the co vid.

I am also in the private care sector and all I was told today was that they was not sure if I would be entitled to sick pay... but I left it at that for today as I was very emotional i found it difficult to say that I did not feel safe and no longer felt I could work for the time being.
I have been in contact with my gp and he is advising the gov guidance of strict social distancing..which is impossible to keep 2 metre distance! once I explained my concerns within my work place he said he could sign me off with anxiety but I’m not sure I want that?
I will get in touch with work on Monday and have a chat with them as I have now been told by my colleague who is also diabetic that we will get statutory sick pay!

Please keep safe and thankyou for your help x

Heed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great reply that last one. I am self employed and not sure at all where I stand. I started self isolating last week as understood I was at high risk. Being self employed I am not sure what I'm entitled to. Esa or anything else. I can get the new grant for self employed but as they have said not for a couple of months. I tried looking this up but have not found a thing. Also tried ringing the Esa during work hours where the message says they are open but they are not. Any advice would be great please. Sorry to hijack your forum, just after some help.

Last edited:

Heed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started another thread as well as I'm asking about ESA and not SSP, but thank you for the info here.

I tried the above about an isolation note, though no luck and from what I could gather there is no need to get one?

Emsdevoma

I started another thread as well as I'm asking about ESA and not SSP, but thank you for the info here.

I tried the above about an isolation note, though no luck and from what I could gather there is no need to get one?

Good luck with everything I hope you are able to get some financial help , keep protected!