T1 and Depression

david.ed.bullock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
So it seems I am quite rubbish with keeping on top of looking on here!
I have had Diabetes for around 25 years now and I am Type 1. I am on Novorapid Pump Cart using the Accucheck Insight pump alongside the Libre with MiaoMiao transmitter. I have over the past few years had to deal with alot of health issues of which include Hernia Operation to the Groin, Retinopathy laser treatment and surgery on my eye, and Mental Health issues.

More recently I have struggled with Mental Health real bad to the point of attempting Suicide by overdosing twice. I know some say its a selfish thing to do which I agree with, however I was in such a bad place with my Health, Marriage and other contributing factors. I also have a contributing factor which Is personal and would like to reach out to people regarding. I am taking Sertraline, Mirtazapine and Propanolol for anxiety and depression.

I just wanted to reach out for anyone who can provide continued support through messaging on here. I hope there are people who are able to help and motivate each other into looking after and maintaining good control of diabetes and mental health wellbeing.

Laconic

Hi I too take Sertraline for anxiety and an type 2 although am in non diabetic range, last time I was tested.
What I’ve learnt is how my physical health affects my mental health, now that my blood sugars are under better control. I can walk into a room look people in the eye and not worry about being judged be more outgoing. Hang on in there you will get there soon my diabetes medication has been reduced dramatically and I’m only on a very small dose of sertraline

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and sorry to hear your problems. What sort of bs levels you keep and are there any specific issues you struggle in terms of bs level? I think depression is very common for struggling t1s I really hope you can find a way out.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So sorry to read of your troubles. Blood sugar levels have a huge effect on our mental health - highs, lows and rapidly changing levels play havoc with our brains. I had terrible depression issues until I got mine stabilised, and get quite low when they run away from me.

Reactions: slikwipman

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Hi all,
So it seems I am quite rubbish with keeping on top of looking on here!
I have had Diabetes for around 25 years now and I am Type 1. I am on Novorapid Pump Cart using the Accucheck Insight pump alongside the Libre with MiaoMiao transmitter. I have over the past few years had to deal with alot of health issues of which include Hernia Operation to the Groin, Retinopathy laser treatment and surgery on my eye, and Mental Health issues.

More recently I have struggled with Mental Health real bad to the point of attempting Suicide by overdosing twice. I know some say its a selfish thing to do which I agree with, however I was in such a bad place with my Health, Marriage and other contributing factors. I also have a contributing factor which Is personal and would like to reach out to people regarding. I am taking Sertraline, Mirtazapine and Propanolol for anxiety and depression.

I just wanted to reach out for anyone who can provide continued support through messaging on here. I hope there are people who are able to help and motivate each other into looking after and maintaining good control of diabetes and mental health wellbeing.

Wish I could provide you with some wise words but all I’ve got is that you are not alone and now you realise you need a bit of support other folk will pick up on it, personally at the moment I’m concentrating on keeping my bs under control as it can only help in improving my situation