Expected to go to work still.

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Feeling hungry! “Should you be eating that?” “ You get it because you eat wrong”
Hi all. I’m T2 not on insulin but don’t know how to change the group.

I am non insulin dependant T2. I do paid support in school 3 days a week. I suppose I’m non essential as I’m not a teacher or assistant. I can’t understand wether I should be taking the 12 week off option to protect myself. Can anybody clarify?

(post edited by moderator to combine two threads into one)

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Member496333

You must decide what is appropriate for yourself, and that includes discussing the issue with your employer. I wouldn't take anything for granted or assume that you will be paid for not turning up at work.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chatterbox
Sorry you don't know where you stand - there is a lot of it about! If I were you I would check the www.gov.uk website for the official info on the situation, and then contact your line manager to discuss things.

I expect there will be more clarity from the government in the next day or so.

You mentioned that you wish to change your forum designation from insulin dependent to T2.
The best way to do so is to go into your profile, personal details, and have a look at the different options.
There are a couple of T2 options, and all you need to do is choose the other one from your current setting.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I suppose I’m non essential as I’m not a teacher or assistant. I can’t understand wether I should be taking the 12 week off option to protect myself. Can anybody clarify?
According to UK Gov, diabetics are not in Covid19 high risk category.
Although stats from China, Korea, Italy show diabetics have higher fatality rate from Covid19, no breakdown as to which Type or Diabetic or whether they were well controlled or badly controlled.
Nos scientific theory as to why diabetics should be at more risk unless the Covid19 infection spiked their BG to enormous levels causing severe bacterial infection which finished them off.

My advice:
1. Control your BG (Low Carb/Keto if you can).
2. Take all sanitary precautions.
3. Practice Social Distancing.

I can't offer advice regarding your work. Think about it, weigh the facts,. probabilities and make your own decision.

Reactions: martint761

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Until I am told not to attend work I will come in as neither pregnant nor elderly, and take the usual precautions. I agree the advice isn't clear but I think this will transpire in the next few days. Until then I prefer some semblance of normality. All I can do other than this is keep my blood glucose down as low as possible so as to give the virus less to feed on when it lands and I am assuming that it will.

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Feeling hungry! “Should you be eating that?” “ You get it because you eat wrong”
One school says they are paying me but didn’t clarify full wage or sick pay. The other says after ringing county there is still no clarification and I would only get sick pay for 2 weeks if I rang in with a symptom. I need to watch BBC report in 5 minutes.

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
One school says they are paying me but didn’t clarify full wage or sick pay. The other says after ringing county there is still no clarification and I would only get sick pay for 2 weeks if I rang in with a symptom. I need to watch BBC report in 5 minutes.

How can I isolate in one job but not in another. . Bemused.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to UK Gov, diabetics are not in Covid19 high risk category.
Although stats from China, Korea, Italy show diabetics have higher fatality rate from Covid19, no breakdown as to which Type or Diabetic or whether they were well controlled or badly controlled.
Nos scientific theory as to why diabetics should be at more risk unless the Covid19 infection spiked their BG to enormous levels causing severe bacterial infection which finished them off.

My advice:
1. Control your BG (Low Carb/Keto if you can).
2. Take all sanitary precautions.
3. Practice Social Distancing.

I can't offer advice regarding your work. Think about it, weigh the facts,. probabilities and make your own decision.

From the BBC today:
People at higher risk include those who are over 70, regardless of whether they have a medical condition or not, and people under 70 with any of the following underlying health conditions:

• chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
  • chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
  • chronic kidney disease
  • chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
  • chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson's disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
  • diabetes
  • problems with your spleen - for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
  • a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
  • being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)
  • those who are pregnant

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have diabetes, what should I do?
Those living with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes could be at greater risk of more severe symptoms. Dan Howarth, head of care at Diabetes UK, said: "Coronavirus or Covid-19 can cause complications in people with diabetes.

"If you have diabetes and you have symptoms such as cough, high temperature and feeling short of breath, you need to monitor your blood sugar closely."

You should stay at home for seven days and continue taking your medication. Do not go to a GP practice, pharmacy or hospital. For those who routinely monitor their blood glucose, on the advice of their clinical team, they should continue to do this more often. Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service if you feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home, your condition gets worse or your symptoms do not get better after seven days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51703892

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
This is about getting paid; I know the advice and recommendations but I have bills to pay and clarity on the pay situation.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a type1 of 53 years, recently retired so 12 weeks isolation isn't a problem work wise, my wife works on the till in a local supermarket, she also cares for her 89 year old mother who lives in her own home, there doesn't seem to be any guidelines for her, and this is probably a dilemma for many families.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a type1 of 53 years, recently retired so 12 weeks isolation isn't a problem work wise, my wife works on the till in a local supermarket, she also cares for her 89 year old mother who lives in her own home, there doesn't seem to be any guidelines for her, and this is probably a dilemma for many families.
Your wife would be considered a carer to her mother. Is there anything helpful on here https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/health

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a primary school teacher with Type 2 and am in school looking after children. There has been no real clarity on pay for independent schools . Many of the parents say they won't pay whilst the school is closed and so am not sure if we will get paid either after Easter. I think the schools will shut eventually as more teachers/T.As self isolate.

martint761

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’m type 2 poorly managed and live with a 70 year old Not sure what to do as I work for John Lewis and in and out of customer houses all day sometimes not for long other times I could be in for 30 to 90 minutes am I putting myself at unnecessary risk of catching covid-19

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m type 2 poorly managed and live with a 70 year old Not sure what to do as I work for John Lewis and in and out of customer houses all day sometimes not for long other times I could be in for 30 to 90 minutes am I putting myself at unnecessary risk of catching covid-19

Martin - I imagine if you are still required to attend work, your role is considered to be a protected worker, and thereby doing great service to the general public.

The official information is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

If, however, you have specific concerns about that impact, on yourself and, or, your loved ones, then I suggest you talk to your manager. Perhaps you would be able to come to an arrangement.

Last edited:

MollieB

According to UK Gov, diabetics are not in Covid19 high risk category
I have been seeing this and find it interesting. The US has diabetics in high risk and it also doesn't differentiate. The American Diabetes Association says that there isn't enough data to say that diabetics are any more at risk than the general population for GETTING the virus but, if they do get it, the "data" shows that diabetics are at higher risk of serious complications and/or death.
Another thing I read somewhere else said that diabetics with underlying complications, such as cardiovascular disease, may be more susceptible or diabetics that are poorly controlled. There is no concrete evidence of this specific to coronavirus but, (if I remember this correctly) it has something to do with how the complications or poorly controlled glucose impact the immune system.

Koalajane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is about getting paid; I know the advice and recommendations but I have bills to pay and clarity on the pay situation.

It is only the extremely vulnerable that get paid, we are in the high risk but not in the shielding group.
I have type 2 and pmr which is autoimmune and on steroids and have taken a couple of weeks off from my checkout job unpaid as I value my health

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I work in a council run care home for the physically frail and those with dementia,where I work in the kitchen. I have to go up the wings, mixing with residents, staff and visitors. I'm on a 7 day break at the moment. I phoned my line manager on Tuesday asking for my 'wing ' duties to be stopped. She agreed it would be a good idea. Then she asked if I should really be putting myself at risk by carrying on working? I said I thought I was minimising the risk by changing some duties and staying in the kitchen. She said she would ask her line manager for advice. Later that day she phoned back to say I must be excluded for 12 wks on full pay.
I know I am one of the lucky ones. But these have been the longest 5 days ever!

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
An update on my situation. I ended up working from home for both schools and being fully paid. I had very limited jobs to do so took it on myself to do some CPD online to fill in a few of the hours.

I have begun Trulicity injections during my break as my T2 is poorly managed. The shopping in a ‘ghost train’ environment prevents me thinking straight about my diet and even though I have a list I get half way round and need to leave. I run for it! I’m on my 6th week of Trulicity.

We are onto school holidays at the end of this week but I’m desperate to go back and work face to face. I sincerely hope things have changed for the better in September. Love to all.