Apple and Bowl of Porridge

Laconic

There was nothing else to eat, but tested two hours after and 10.5 how long before back to normal am a bit worried usually I’m 5.5 at the highest

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Test and find out i think, might drop in another 15mins or take another few hours

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was nothing else to eat, but tested two hours after and 10.5 how long before back to normal am a bit worried usually I’m 5.5 at the highest
Can you do some exercise half hour or so after eating these less than desirable meals to try and mitigate the rise/damage as much as possible. Add as much fat as possible to it to slow the rise a bit and spread it out maybe .

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Do you get 5.5 after eating Porridge? I must stay away from any Carbs.

Favourite brekkie:

Zapped whole Almonds
Then I zap half apple with the nuts.
Dollop of Fat Free cottage cheese.
Dusting of that Goji Berry stuff

Keeps me going for hours.

Laconic

I just went for a walk to boots to get some more test strips as only have 3 left am going to take dog for walk then test again

I should have just had the porridge think the apple caused the spike but tested two hours after eating both

deszcznocity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please google Dr Unwin's NICE Endorsed Infonographics - 1 bowl of porridge is equivalent to 4 teaspoons of sugar, 1 apple is on average an equivalent to 2 spoons of sugar.

Laconic

Just tested am now 5.0 so learnt my lesson, trouble is so hard to get right groceries at the moment

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just tested am now 5.0 so learnt my lesson, trouble is so hard to get right groceries at the moment
I totally get it it’s so hard if you are diet controlled only - there is just no leeway in the food we can eat. I hadn't had any keto friendly food for over a week, we have to balance a few higher numbers with being able to eat. I’ve got food now and back to my normal lifestyle for now. It was no fun picking breadcrumbs off fish fingers and toppings of pizzas.

we can only try to be best we can be in these trying times,

Laconic

I was going to try just the porridge in the morning with no apple will be shopping later in the day

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please google Dr Unwin's NICE Endorsed Infonographics - 1 bowl of porridge is equivalent to 4 teaspoons of sugar, 1 apple is on average an equivalent to 2 spoons of sugar.
I think you are under estimating - a teaspoonful of sugar is about 5 gm of carbs and an apple could be up to 6 spoonfuls, and a half cup (US) of porridge oats (dry) is about the same - which is why your numbers are so high - hopefully they will soon fall back to normal.

Laconic

Update tried porridge this morning alone spike of 10.3 so no more for me, had chicken with broccoli and spinach for lunch with a testing of 4.7.
The wonders of having a gluco meter where would we be without one

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update tried porridge this morning alone spike of 10.3 so no more for me, had chicken with broccoli and spinach for lunch with a testing of 4.7.
The wonders of having a gluco meter where would we be without one
Not at all surprised it was the porridge more than the apple. You live and learn. The 4.7 sounds much much better and yes the meter is a mini miracle