Coping with the Virus

JonBoy1199

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant people, that say things like "How can you inject yourself, I couldn't do that" and "did you get diabetes as you eat too much sugar?"
Hey everyone

Anyone else got the virus and how are you coping?

I came down with the start of it mid week, started of feeling just like the flu with cough, but without the runny nose. Now experiencing tight chest and breathing is not so easy, light headed too maybe due to lower oxygen saturation. I've had diabetes since I was 17, so coming up 23 years. Also have asthma and a heart condition.

I'm coping okay so far, it feels like it's getting worse each day, but I'm hoping that will soon stop and I'll start getting better. Having to take multiple small injections of Flaps to try to keep my blood sugars down. Luckily have Libre, lots of test strips for blood glucose and ketones, so monitoring it closely.

Keep safe everyone and remember self care during this time. If anyone's got through this already, be good to here your experience.

Reactions: hilmat01

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Keep a careful eye on your symptoms my grandson says the breathlessness he suffered was quite nasty.
And he is a pretty fit young man. He is staying in Lincoln at the moment to keep his distance from me he wasn't tested but he is very sure he had it laid him low for several days.

Have you contacted your doctor or 111 as to what you should do it's not something to ignore and hope it just passes.

Take care.

Reactions: Keesha

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @JonBoy1199

hope you feel better soon! Is there anyone else living with you to help you out? Or are you by yourself?

JonBoy1199

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant people, that say things like "How can you inject yourself, I couldn't do that" and "did you get diabetes as you eat too much sugar?"
NHS 111 was very helpful, just told to follow sick day rules for Diabetes, use my bleu inhaler as I feel I need it and try to rest. They said if I feel I can't cope looking after myself then I need to call and they'll arrange to get me into the hospital.

The breathlessness is what's getting me the most. I'm out of breath just going up the stairs, struggled to shower yesterday and even loading the dishwasher this morning left me out of breath and took longer than it should.

My partner has it too, we both came down with it at the same time, but he's got it so much milder than I have, though he doesn't have any underlying health conditions, so is doing okay.

We've been isolated for several days, but we have a great community in the village and they been looking out for us with dropping shopping.

The ironic thing is we were both following the social distancing as advised for people with diabetes. I think I caught it queuing at Tesco pharmacy for my insulin last Sunday, as that is the only place I went to before I got sick. Then as soon as I realize I have all the symptoms the letter comes through the door as you have multiple health issues, we recommend you stay home for 12 weeks. A bit late now lol

Oh well, I'm just taking it day by day and hoping for the best outcome.

Taxus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Take good care of yourself and know that there are lots of us in the forum rooting for you.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Best wishes for a quick recovery. Make sure that you keep ringing for help if anything changes for you or your partner.

Treat yourself gently.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hope you and your partner get better soon.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I came down with the start of it mid week, started of feeling just like the flu with cough, but without the runny nose.

I wish you all the very best, I hope you get well soon. Take good care of yourselves, glad to hear you are in a very supportive community.

KimmieRidge

BANNED
We think we may have had the virus. I had an unusually dry throat over a month back. It was quite severe as sore throats go and something I hadn’t encountered before. At the time I thought I was going to go down with severe flu but amazingly it stopped pretty quickly. My wife had something similar a few days earlier with a higher temperature and aches. Her description of it suggested she thought the symptoms were a little different to anything she had had before. Again we thought she was going to be spending a week experiencing heavy flu but she recovered in a day. Looking back we wondered if we both had the virus and fought it off. Our daughter also had something similar around that time too.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We think we may have had the virus. I had an unusually dry throat over a month back. It was quite severe as sore throats go and something I hadn’t encountered before. At the time I thought I was going to go down with severe flu but amazingly it stopped pretty quickly. My wife had something similar a few days earlier with a higher temperature and aches. Her description of it suggested she thought the symptoms were a little different to anything she had had before. Again we thought she was going to be spending a week experiencing heavy flu but she recovered in a day. Looking back we wondered if we both had the virus and fought it off. Our daughter also had something similar around that time too.

How old is you daughter? I know youngsters are usually experiencing a lighter touch.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully you are through the worst of it and being feeling better soon. Best wishes to you both

I’ve had a tight chest which came and went ( I thought it was stress induced to being with) and then added slight breathlessness for the last 2 weeks along with odd cough here and there. Friday I started coughing properly but it stopped pretty much by Saturday, just the odd splutter now. No fevers. A little tiredness. bloods ok. Several family members report similar chest tightness along with some very minor aches. Going to need to wait for antibody tests to know if it was covid or something else. Really hoping we’re all out the other side of it regardless.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Testing is so important without it we are very much in the dark. My grandson is absolutely almost certain he had it but without a test he is uncertain as to whether he can come home he is stuck in his student accommodation all the lecturers have gone home lectures are all on line he's mainly on his own as most students have done a bunk and he is only now feeling like he's over it.

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone

Anyone else got the virus and how are you coping?

Hi there,
I've been sick with a respiratory illness for three weeks and finally started feeling better a couple of days ago. What a nasty bug. It started as a simple cold, and turned into pneumonia with breathing problems during the second week. I've been in self isolation the whole time so although the symptoms are consistent with covid-19, you can't say for sure.

My boyfriend also got sick, but he recovered within a week. His immune system has always been better than mine. One thing that's been strange during this is my blood sugar. Normally it shoots through the roof when I'm sick, but this time it's been perfect averaging 5.4. That was until I started feeling better the other day and it went up. Now I'm taking double the dose of bolus insulin and doing damage control so a sign things are back to normal.

If you have trouble breathing one thing that really helps is to sit up in bed rather than lie down. Also breathing water vapor is good, so hot showers or keeping your head over a cup of tea might make things easier. My doctor friend brought over some vitamin d as well. There is a possibility it works directly on recovering the respiratory epithelium, here's the theory:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2759054/
You have to be careful with it because it's possible to overdose, so as always best to check with a doctor before taking it.

I hope you feel better soon. Take it easy and get plenty of rest.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It seems some experts are proposing that one of the reasons the responses to this virus are so varied that is some having negligible symptoms and illness while others have extreme symptoms is our genetics research is going on into this. Who would of thought it.

JonBoy1199

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Would anyone know if you've had the pneumonia vaccination, will this protect you against getting pneumonia as a complication of coronavirus?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)